Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:49 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to see you post back and glad to hear you enjoyed your visits out West. But I'd have to say--are the mountains the only thing you enjoyed about Scottsdale? Southern California also has mountains, but they also offer more things to do, nicer weather, beautiful beaches, etc. Obviously Phoenix is cheaper, but the thing is, it seemed from your post as if you hated the summer weather--if it only lasted 2-3 months, I'd agree you get used to it. But I know a few people who moved to Phoenix and left as quickly as they could because they just never got used to the weather, especially since it lasts for a good 5-6 months on end. Really, the only thing you can do during that time of the year is either swim in the pool or leave town for somewhere cooler (the beaches of SoCal, Flagstaff, etc), unless you're fine staying indoors during the daytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:45 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contemplation View Post
Sorry been busy and then couldn't find my password.

Yes I went to San Diego and LA in May and liked them pretty well. I did alot of touristy things though so can't really say for sure if I'd want to live there.

I went to Scottsdale again at the end of Aug to see how the summer heat was and it was pretty bad (like an oven). The locals say you get used to it though. I am just so in love w/ the mountains there so this is probably my favorite place I've been on the list! Wish the summers weren't so extreme though. There is only one way around the summers in Scottsdale and that is to leave for cooler locations. It is mid - October and we are still in the 90s. The evenings are nice, though. Luckily Arizona offers cooler temps in places like Flagstaff and Pinetop in the summer. And don't believe the locals about getting used to the heat. I think what they actually mean is you learn to deal with it!

I have not made it to Austin yet.
I really hope you can take a trip to the city. I think you would like it. The only drawback is that the cost for homes has risen along with the city's popularity.

I am an RN so jobs I would think would be pretty easy to come by in any of the areas.

Again being single, one of my main concerns is the singles scene-- does anyone know which of these areas have a good selection of guys in their 30's-40's? Educated, outdoorsy etc.
Again, my vote, based on your criteria, would be Austin.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 10-13-2014 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: spelling.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
I went to Scottsdale again at the end of Aug to see how the summer heat was and it was pretty bad (like an oven). The locals say you get used to it though. I am just so in love w/ the mountains there so this is probably my favorite place I've been on the list! Wish the summers weren't so extreme though.
Summer in Phoenix lasts from approximately May 10 - October 5, +/- a couple of weeks. People say that your first couple of summers are the most difficult, but I disagree. After 5 or 6 summers, the intense heat of Phoenix becomes like a tune in your head that you're forced to repeat over and over again. Dealing with summers in Phoenix is just as much a psychological ability as it is a physical one, and after so many, your mind and body become physically and psychologically exhausted. You don't "get used to it;" you simply learn how to tolerate it--big difference.

The mountain vistas and Sonoran Desert scenery in and around Scottsdale, however, are otherworldly.

Quote:
I am an RN so jobs I would think would be pretty easy to come by in any of the areas.
Because Phoenix is a high growth area, but with a FIRE/service-oriented economy, there's not much else there with regard to industry aside from health care, so competition for nursing positions in the Valley is quite fierce. If you're an RN or ASN, you won't even be considered by most HR personnel/departments at most health care facilities in the Valley because they have their pick of candidates. Keep in mind that, in Phoenix, you're not only competing with thousands of local candidates, given that the metro area is home to ~4.5 mil. people, but also all of the people who want to move to Phoenix from across the country as well. Because Arizona is a very transient state, candidates from other states aren't usually hired until after they arrive in Arizona--it's simply too risky to hire someone living in another state with intentions to move to Arizona only to have them back out at the last minute due to a "change of heart." The only thing that might work in your favor--and I use the term "might" loosely--is that you have 20 yrs. of experience in the field.

FWIW, I worked in health care recruiting in a very transient state similar to Arizona for years.

Quote:
Again being single, one of my main concerns is the singles scene-- does anyone know which of these areas have a good selection of guys in their 30's-40's? Educated, outdoorsy etc.
There's a lot of single, outdoorsy guys in the Phoenix-Scottsdale area in their 30's and 40's; however, most aren't educated, but you can't have everything.

Due to the long-time limited presence of well-paying white-collar industry in the Phoenix area coupled with only having a single accredited, nationally-recognized university (ASU) that's a major diploma mill and party school to boot, Phoenix isn't necessarily a hotbed for educated, intellectual professionals. Even the people who graduated from ASU or UofA, Arizona's major universities, won't strike you as the sharpest tools in the shed, either. Their more corporate-minded fellow alums took off for California, Texas, or Washington after completing their degrees while they stayed behind to work as recruiters and realtors in Scottsdale.

There is, however, a strong entrepreneurial spirit in the Phoenix area, again, largely resultant due to the lack of industry for such a major population center. However, this more consistent with landscaping or marketing promotional companies vs. tech start-ups like you'd find in Silicon Valley or Seattle.

Quote:
I'm an RN for 20 years. I would probably rent first but I know if I bought a condo in LA or San Diego the most I'd want to spend is about 350K- 400K and that only gets you a 2 bedroom condo which is sufficient at this time in my life as I don't have any kids yet. But someday if I want a house, it would be very expensive I've heard and read. Conversely the Scottsdale area (east valley) is much more cost friendly in terms of housing.
At the end of the day, remember there are always more than a few good reasons why one place is more expensive than another. Scottsdale, although very nice, leaves a lot to be desired when stacked up against West Coast cities like LA, SD, SF, and Seattle, especially in terms of economy, culture, people, and weather. It's overall affordable COL aligns more so with the priorities of families with children than single professionals such as yourself. Who wants to own a big home as a single woman anyway, especially a cracker-jack box like all of those tract homes that flank the Phoenix area? I hope you're handy or, at the very least, have the money to shell out in repairs!

Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM

555 posts, read 862,229 times
Dont move to Scottsdale. Its horrible.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 PM

135 posts, read 179,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Due to the long-time limited presence of well-paying white-collar industry in the Phoenix area coupled with only having a single accredited, nationally-recognized university (ASU) that's a major diploma mill and party school to boot, Phoenix isn't necessarily a hotbed for educated, intellectual professionals. Even the people who graduated from ASU or UofA, Arizona's major universities, won't strike you as the sharpest tools in the shed, either. Their more corporate-minded fellow alums took off for California, Texas, or Washington after completing their degrees while they stayed behind to work as recruiters and realtors in Scottsdale.

There is, however, a strong entrepreneurial spirit in the Phoenix area, again, largely resultant due to the lack of industry for such a major population center. However, this more consistent with landscaping or marketing promotional companies vs. tech start-ups like you'd find in Silicon Valley or Seattle.
Perhaps the best, concise statement every written about the Arizona economy. I've always seen Phoenix as sort of an "Orlando West" - a haven for people fleeing the Midwest and raising a solid middle-class family, but at its core utterly without any base of real economic value-adding activities or education. Love to visit in the winter, but I agree - living there would probably not be what the OP is looking for.

Bottom line, go where you get a job and where you can afford. And if it bothers you, don't live somewhere cold.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Dont move to Scottsdale. Its horrible.
Sweeping desert vistas, great winter weather, pristine streets, upkept neighborhoods that are well-manicured, shopping galore, high end restaurants, etc, etc. Yeah, its "horrible".

Old 10-14-2014, 01:43 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times
Denver - warm??? Have you been there during the winter months?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM

389 posts, read 596,429 times
I just left Phoenix (Scottsdale) after four years there. I finished my degree and returned to Houston, my hometown. For some, Phoenix is a great fit, but I didn't enjoy it personally. I felt that it lacked culture and diversity. The whole place seemed kind of vanilla to me. If you are outdoorsy and like hiking up mountains, it is desirable. However, I am not outdoorsy and prefer a city that has more cultural amenities. In addition, I did not consider the weather an upgrade over Houston, as it had similar winters (sometimes colder than Houston) with intense summers. Being from the Midwest, you would probably appreciate the weather more than I did.

Maybe this was just me, but the I felt that the social scene of Phoenix (maybe more Scottsdale) reminded me of high school. It seemed like people loved to go to Old Town (or Mill Ave in Tempe) and get incredibly drunk. Alcohol seemed to be a recurring theme, and I'm not a drinker. The people just didn't seem all that educated to me.

I will say this about Phoenix, it probably has the least amount of traffic of any of the cities mentioned, as the freeway system is fairly recent. The roads are probably some of the best in the country.

As a Texan, I'm probably a little biased, but Austin has my vote. My brother lives there, and I felt that it had more to offer than Phoenix. It is a more urban environment than Phoenix, even though the metro area is much smaller. Phoenix is mostly composed of suburbs, whereas Austin has a vibrant urban core that is only improving. In addition, the restaurant scene in Austin is outstanding. There is a lot of restaurant diversity Austin, everything from Texas BBQ to Vietnamese. I was never blown away by the restaurant scene in Phoenix (it seemed like people went to restaurants that were trendy and not necessarily tasty). You really can't go wrong with any of the big cities in Texas.

If you can afford them, San Diego and Los Angeles are also great places to live. They both have outstanding weather, with beautiful coastline. They also have the outdoorsy element and the mountains. Maybe this does not appeal to you, but I LOVE the abundance of theme parks in Southern California. To me, San Diego is more scenic than LA, although LA has more cultural amenities as the 2nd largest city in the US. You can't go wrong with either place, as long as your financial situation allows for it.

I am overdue for a visit to Florida. I have never been to Tampa (have been to other cities in FL), so I can't speak for that region. I love the lush greenery of South, which extends from Florida to around Houston. I personally prefer the humidity of the South and Texas to the heat of Arizona. Not to mention Florida's winters are milder, I believe (I know for a fact Miami's are milder than AZ but can't really speak for Tampa).

I don't have much experience with Denver, but I hear great things. It doesn't really appeal to me, as I prefer warmer weather, more greenery, and to be nearer to the coast.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Denver - warm??? Have you been there during the winter months?
Compared to most of the upper midwest, Denver's winters are milder, but it's by no means balmy. The chilliest days for Denver occur right around the winter solstice when daytime highs are in the mid-40s and overnight lows are in the mid-teens.

Daytime temperature swings of 30+ degrees are not uncommon in the winter.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:15 PM

555 posts, read 862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sweeping desert vistas, great winter weather, pristine streets, upkept neighborhoods that are well-manicured, shopping galore, high end restaurants, etc, etc. Yeah, its "horrible".

Sarcasm, genius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City