Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 71 48.63%
San Francisco 75 51.37%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I have said this a few times on this forum, Chicago is somewhat unique in that it is more important / iconic / cultural / noticeable / etc within it's country's own borders than it is in the rest of the world - and SF is the opposite.
As a 20 plus year American expat having lived in 7 countries....I have to disagree. Go to clubs in Europe and most people know that house music, which continues to dominate club music worldwide is from Chicago. And of course Chicago is more closesly assciated in the world's mind with American iconic musical genres such as Jazz and the Blues.

I have seen clubs, bars and restaurants named Chicago in countless dozens of cities all over Asia and Europe, one rarely sees establishments named San Francisco.

And virtually every woman of a certain age I've met in many countries is very very aware of Chicago through Oprah.

And virtually every man on the planet of several generations still fondly recalls the Bulls, outside of soccer teams, maybe still the most iconic sports team ever to come out of America.

Then there is the whole Al Capone gangster thing, buttressed by the global success of Chicago (the musical/movie). The closest thing SF might have is the 60's but believe it or not, that era is not nearly as widely known outside America as one may think. It certainly doesn't translate to global box office receipts like a gangster movie set in Prohibition era Chicago does (Untouchables).

And finally, not that I am a big fan of the guy, but Obama continues to be a rather iconic figure worldwide and is widely known to be from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I have said this a few times on this forum, Chicago is somewhat unique in that it is more important / iconic / cultural / noticeable / etc within it's country's own borders than it is in the rest of the world - and SF is the opposite.
That doesn't jive with my experiences. I find they're about equal for the most part in terms of recognition abroad.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
As a 20 plus year American expat having lived in 7 countries....I have to disagree. Go to clubs in Europe and most people know that house music, which continues to dominate club music worldwide is from Chicago. And of course Chicago is more closesly assciated in the world's mind with American iconic musical genres such as Jazz and the Blues.

I have seen clubs, bars and restaurants named Chicago in countless dozens of cities all over Asia and Europe, one rarely sees establishments named San Francisco.

And virtually every woman of a certain age I've met in many countries is very very aware of Chicago through Oprah.

And virtually every man on the planet of several generations still fondly recalls the Bulls, outside of soccer teams, maybe still the most iconic sports team ever to come out of America.

Then there is the whole Al Capone gangster thing, buttressed by the global success of Chicago (the musical/movie). The closest thing SF might have is the 60's but believe it or not, that era is not nearly as widely known outside America as one may think. It certainly doesn't translate to global box office receipts like a gangster movie set in Prohibition era Chicago does (Untouchables).

And finally, not that I am a big fan of the guy, but Obama continues to be a rather iconic figure worldwide and is widely known to be from Chicago.
That whole post is a bit of a straw man as I never said no one in Europe (or Asia, which is not the whole world btw) has heard of Chicago or that Chicago hasn't exported certain cultural aspects..

Anyways, I've read many threads regarding this topic on this forum and what feels like an overwhelming amount of the posts talking about Chicago's global footprint seem to mention the Bulls and gangsters... And not just mention them in passing, but as some of their chief exports.. Honestly I couldn't think of two worse examples for a thread like this. If that is what is passing as iconic and cultural these days.. I feel like those comments are doing a disservice to Chicago in regards to the topic at hand.

Saying things like "virtually every woman / man" is too hyperbolic for me to take seriously also. You also said "I have seen clubs, bars and restaurants named Chicago in countless dozens of cities all over Asia and Europe, one rarely sees establishments named San Francisco." which is just silly. Countless dozens of cities? All over both continents? Do you even know what that means? Honestly I don't keep track of establishments named San Francisco overseas but even if there are significantly more establishments named Chicago, I would wager that coming across one is still pretty freakin rare in the grand scheme of things lol...

EDIT: Anyways, I spend half of every year in Mexico, Central & South America for work so that is the main extent of my knowledge on this topic but I have also been to Europe a handful of times, Australia & Asia once and Africa for ~2 years off and on. But I would by no means ever say that 'everyone has heard of this and this is more popular than that is over here' and things of that nature. It's just a ridiculous premise that does not interest me.

Last edited by RadicalAtheist; 04-07-2014 at 11:57 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 PM

443 posts, read 877,932 times
You have proven nothing. I was piggy-backing off of something Orzo had said earlier (re: SF's wall-to-wall density) and in a concurrent thread comparing SF to other cities, so it made sense he would reply. Nice try, though, although I'd recommend you stop hijacking this thread.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 PM

437 posts, read 629,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Orzo View Post
How many accounts has Relegate used to vote SF?

I can prove hes orzo bro. 1 year ago he was arguing Duderino with his relegate account and accidentally signed in and responded with orzo. Duderino quotes Relegate but his orzo accounts 1st post in thread quotes Duderino saying 'I was talking about'. He does this in every thread has 30 40 accounts. Plays good cop bad cop bro.
I believe it

Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Orzo View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/29001857-post371.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/29005492-post372.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/29008083-post373.html

Copy paste the link bro and be amazed at many faces of orzo! You accidentally log in with the wrong accounts a lot bro. You never notice...
LOL, that is kind of suspect. Orzo's response seems to come out of nowhere.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
San Francisco from the part of the world I'm from. I think Chicago and San Francisco should be equal in Western Europe, Chicago would easily lead Eastern Europe and San Francisco would more than likely take Russia. Middle-East they are an absolute tie, I don't get how and why but the two cities are popular in different realms. The Persian world is under San Francisco and the Arab world is under Chicago. Israel would easily be a draw. Central America would go to San Francisco and Caribbean America looks poised for Chicago. Mexico is probably Chicago (slightly so) and South America is San Francisco probably. South India is easily San Francisco but North India is easily Chicago. China and East Asia are San Francisco whereas Africa as a whole (Northern and Subsaharan) is handily Chicago. I'm using linguistics and demographics and air routes and patterns though, so not exactly scientific. North America, I feel this is Chicago's domain.

Let's do this continent by continent. I'm not an expert, so if anyone wants to correct, please feel free.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-08-2014 at 12:13 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 12:02 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That doesn't jive with my experiences. I find they're about equal for the most part in terms of recognition abroad.
Yes I didn't have the time to explain in more detail or better when I posted that. I didn't necessarily mean SF is more recognizable, I just meant that generally it seems to me that Americans consider CHI a tier above SF but that worldwide it seems like a different (or closer) story.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:35 AM

443 posts, read 877,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
LOL, that is kind of suspect. Orzo's response seems to come out of nowhere.
LOL I wonder if you're "Hey Orzo". There was nothing out of nowhere about that response. There were multiple threads at that time with SF and Philly boosters happening concurrently. Orzo made the wall-to-wall density arguments several times in a bunch of threads and I was riffing off his comments. I can't speak for him but it makes sense to me that he would respond to that since he was active in all those threads making similar points. In any case, feel free to believe what you'd like to believe.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:42 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
How is Chicago winning?
Why should San Francisco be winning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City