U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rater live in the Chicago or Dallas metro areas?
Chicago metro 97 54.49%
Dallas metro 81 45.51%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times

Advertisements

We cannot seriously compare the lakes around Dallas to Lake Michigan. I enjoy going to Lake Lewisville or Lake Ray Hubbard, but Lake Michigan is on another level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:30 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Keyword "acts".

You can fresh water fish in both places, but you sure won't be catching any sharks, shrimps, oysters, or crabs in Lake Michigan.

Gotta love how people from Chicago & the Midwest claim themselves as the "3rd Coast".

Its laughable really.
I don't see what your point is in any of this. Lake Michigan is still a big lake which you can fish in, go boating/sailing, and utilize the beach and all of its activities. There's other lakes in Chicago too, a river, and numerous lakes in the metro area outside of the city. Of course there's big lakes in Dallas, but what the hell is your point in any of this, honestly?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 AM

12,521 posts, read 22,333,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I don't see what your point is in any of this. Lake Michigan is still a big lake which you can fish in, go boating/sailing, and utilize the beach and all of its activities. There's other lakes in Chicago too, a river, and numerous lakes in the metro area outside of the city. Of course there's big lakes in Dallas, but what the hell is your point in any of this, honestly?
Dallas to the Gulf - 4 hours

Chicago to the Gulf - 14 hours

Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
You act like Gulf beaches are just so great LOL. If I'm going to go to the beach(a good one), it'll most likely be Florida or Southern Cali if I'm there.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas to the Gulf - 4 hours

Chicago to the Gulf - 14 hours
We're talking about metro areas, not multi hour drives first of all. More importantly though, how in the world is Lake Michigan any less of a valid lake than any lakes in the immediate Dallas MSA? It's not and not even close to it. You are also again forgetting that Chicago MSA, especially in the northern section of it, is full of lakes too.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM

11,024 posts, read 13,362,649 times
All I wanted to know from making this thread is whether people think the overall quality of life is better in the Dallas MSA vs. the Chicago MSA.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You act like Gulf beaches are just so great LOL. If I'm going to go to the beach(a good one), it'll most likely be Florida or Southern Cali if I'm there.
Half of Florida is in The Gulf genius.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All I wanted to know from making this thread is whether people think the overall quality of life is better in the Dallas MSA vs. the Chicago MSA.
And thats a subjective matter.

Based on what you say you want, Dallas is going to be a better choice. If you said you wanted walkable, urban, interesting neighborhoods, I would have said Chicago.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think like anywhere it depends on what class of income you are in, age, what you like doing, etc. For example, if I'm a single person who makes at least an OK salary and I like doing things (i.e. events, concerts, food, what have you) then I'm going to pick Chicago any day for that. While Dallas certainly has a good amount going on, it does not stack up to Chicago in this regard. BUT living in Dallas in that situation would be far from bad too.

If I am in the lower class or don't care about going to tons of events, concerts, bars, etc etc then neither is bad, and Dallas wouldn't be a bad choice for that either.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Ok I give up.

Chicago is the best thing since sliced bread. Dallas & Texas suck.

I guess I value living in a less corrupt society than most people.

There you heard it from the horses mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or