U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rater live in the Chicago or Dallas metro areas?
Chicago metro 117 54.93%
Dallas metro 96 45.07%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:07 PM

4,037 posts, read 5,209,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As much as Chicago has? No, but it's definitely there.
The implication was of course that Dallas was full of new housing stock and Chicago is full of old housing stock [that you have to deal with]; neither are the truth. I would argue, though, the Chicago has a much larger diversity of housing stock over Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM

5,328 posts, read 7,345,211 times
Like someone previously stated, there's a lot of new housing being built in Dallas. In the core of Dallas over 17,000 units are being built.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 PM

14,470 posts, read 18,334,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The implication was of course that Dallas was full of new housing stock and Chicago is full of old housing stock [that you have to deal with]; neither are the truth. I would argue, though, the Chicago has a much larger diversity of housing stock over Dallas.
Yeah, I agree with this. Chicago along with NYC has probably the widest variety. People who don't think there's new housing stock in Chicago have probably never been to Chicago especially in the last decade - it's easy to see downtown since there's a bunch of buildings newer than 10 years. In the surrounding neighborhoods, one who has seen enough of that would know there's a lot of new stuff too.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:53 PM
JJG

13,093 posts, read 18,755,119 times
Quote:
Dallas, Texas is home to several seminaries, including the Brite Divinity School of Texas Christian University, Dallas Theological Seminary, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (the largest Protestant seminary in the world), and Criswell College; Southern Methodist University; the conservative Catholic University of Dallas; and several of America's largest megachurches, including The Potter's House (pastored by T.D. Jakes), Prestonwood Baptist Church (pastored by Jack Graham), and First Baptist Church (once, under the leadership of W.A. Criswell, the largest Protestant church in the world).

*sigh*... Fort Worth, man.

P.S., TCU isn't much of a real Christian school anymore and hasn't been in a loooooong time. Just sayin'.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:34 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,926,837 times
Dallas is probably less homogenous; gays, straights, liberals, conservatives/libertarians etc. that each constitute sizeable proportions of the city.

There aren't many cities that have BOTH a strong conservative AND strong liberal base. Most big cities are uber liberal by default while the smaller towns nearby are almost always conservative. I appreciate the diversity of Big D in this regard.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:49 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,926,837 times
Having previously relocated to Chicago for work related training, I can see the merits of both cities. If I'm making excellent money with little debt and could live where I wanted, Chicago wins (I'll take a nice apartment around Wacker Drive and Michigan Ave). Since I'm from Dallas, I know how to have fun here. However, transplants would probably have a harder time adjusting vs. Chicago.

Now if we're talking NYC vs. Chicago....it's still Chicago. Chicago gives you the busy big-city feel, but it's more of a "controlled" chaos. People actually know how to drive and will stop in the middle of the road to let you cross the street. NYC drivers are crazier than Dallas drivers, and that's saying a lot.....A LOT. New York just felt dirty to me, whereas Chicago felt like what Dallas would be if it was more urbanized/centralized at it's core. I felt like I was at home and everything made sense.

Honestly, I'd live in Chicago from April to August and Dallas from September through March (weather related and I love the State Fair of Texas).

Old 04-14-2014, 12:46 PM

2,470 posts, read 4,754,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
Both have "bad crime", Are you serious? You do not know about nasty S Chicago and gun ban?

For living cost, it usually same because house rent is same for a single room in Chicago and a whole apartment in Dallas. More importantly, in Chicago, you deal with century long housing, in Dallas, you can live in a very new apartment.
The south side of Dallas and East Dallas have very bad crime. Just look at the numbers. The apartments in Chicago are better built, more character, and not all are old. The apartments in Dallas are of a bland, cookie cutter design. Massive complexes vs flats. flats > massive complexes. Utilities are higher in Dallas as well.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM

5,328 posts, read 7,345,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
The south side of Dallas and East Dallas have very bad crime. Just look at the numbers. The apartments in Chicago are better built, more character, and not all are old. The apartments in Dallas are of a bland, cookie cutter design. Massive complexes vs flats. flats > massive complexes. Utilities are higher in Dallas as well.
Crime is not that bad in Dallas compared to many other cities in America.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,562,678 times
I'll never understand people who give cities personalities. Dallas is nicer? It's not like you're going there to publicly announce yourself smh. Lol

Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 PM

6,449 posts, read 8,671,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I'll never understand people who give cities personalities. Dallas is nicer? It's not like you're going there to publicly announce yourself smh. Lol
Would you disagree with the following statement?

Dallas is nicer than Detroit.

Maybe? Okay, how about this one.

Dallas is more hospitable than Detroit.

Oh okay, I'll give it one more go.

Dallas is more friendly than Detroit.

Yeah, giving personality traits to cities works when it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or