U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rater live in the Chicago or Dallas metro areas?
Chicago metro 116 54.98%
Dallas metro 95 45.02%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,562,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Would you disagree with the following statement?

Dallas is nicer than Detroit.

Maybe? Okay, how about this one.

Dallas is more hospitable than Detroit.

Oh okay, I'll give it one more go.

Dallas is more friendly than Detroit.

Yeah, giving personality traits to cities works when it's true.
Your post didn't do anything for me. Dallas being nicer then Detroit is what reality is because Detroit overall isn't doing to well.

Realistically speaking there are no truths. Cities have no personality, people do. There are idiots in both Detroit and Dallas. I'm sure the only reason why Detroit has less nice people is because of the situation that their in rather then the name of their city.

And you also want to take in the fact that a lot of people walking the streets aren't necessarily from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 5,404,209 times
I never saw the big appeal to Dallas or even Texas in general. That's not to say Dallas or even Texas is a bad place it's just not for me. Maybe I am Midwest deep down however there are some cities in Texas I'd consider but Dallas isn't one of them.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:01 PM

11,082 posts, read 13,682,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I never saw the big appeal to Dallas or even Texas in general. That's not to say Dallas or even Texas is a bad place it's just not for me. Maybe I am Midwest deep down however there are some cities in Texas I'd consider but Dallas isn't one of them.
I agree. It's not a bad state, but I have been to DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio and don't quite see the appeal. Many people on here rave about Austin, but honestly, I thought it was overcrowded and loaded with hipsters and traffic.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,676,393 times
Neither. Fortunately, there are better choices.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 PM

673 posts, read 985,163 times
I'm not a fan of either city but I would have to go with Dallas. I've visited both.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 PM

9,158 posts, read 17,710,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree. It's not a bad state, but I have been to DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio and don't quite see the appeal. Many people on here rave about Austin, but honestly, I thought it was overcrowded and loaded with hipsters and traffic.
Yes nep, but rarely if ever do you make a post where you see appeal anywhere. You don't like Fairfield County, you want out of Connecticut but you make so many trite judgments and seem very closed minded about well, everywhere. You constantly point out flaws, often which are not always representative of the cities at large in the bigger picture. I don't see how you could ever leave Connecticut, even though you're not happy there either. Seems to be quite a dilemma.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:29 AM

6,449 posts, read 8,671,132 times
Quote:
Don't quite see the appeal huh? Well there are more people in the DFW metro than the entire state of Connecticut, and I think most of them do see the appeal. I'll take a Dallas winter over a Connecticut winter any year. You're going to find traffic in any major city, that is completely unavoidable. The things you choose to complain about are always going to be there in large cities.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,670,622 times
Quote:
Then why did you even start this thread?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 AM

11,082 posts, read 13,682,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes nep, but rarely if ever do you make a post where you see appeal anywhere. You don't like Fairfield County, you want out of Connecticut but you make so many trite judgments and seem very closed minded about well, everywhere. You constantly point out flaws, often which are not always representative of the cities at large in the bigger picture. I don't see how you could ever leave Connecticut, even though you're not happy there either. Seems to be quite a dilemma.
The reason I hate Fairfield County is because of the extreme cost of housing and fast pace. Plus, if I move somewhere new, I have to feel comfortable and fit in. But I just HATE fast paced lifestyles and expensive housing or super low wages.

Also, some places in the U.S. tend to be very provincial and it would be awkward for me to pursue jobs in such places. For example, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Minneapolis, etc. It would be very random and strange for a guy like me to apply for jobs in places like that. And employers pry for reasons why you want to relocate, in which usually the only acceptable reasons are family or relationship reasons. Employers don't want to hear someone's reason for relocation being, "well, I just want a change in lifestyle." You know? So I would feel more comfortable pursuing jobs in places like AZ or FL, for example, because they have large transient populations, and its expected that people from far away may want to relocate there. On the downside, transient places lack any sort of community cohesion or culture and are just a mish mash of random people from all over the place.

At the same time, I am concerned about being far from my family near Hartford.

My theory is that the place that most people are best suited for is the area they are originally from or grew up in. If you look at the patterns of most people who relocate out of their home metro area, MANY of them end up returning later on. And it's human nature to compare other places to your home metro area, since that's the benchmark standard. The old adage, "there's no place like home," has a lot of truth to it.

Last edited by nep321; 04-17-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,408,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Then why did you even start this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or