U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rater live in the Chicago or Dallas metro areas?
Chicago metro 97 54.49%
Dallas metro 81 45.51%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,351,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is how you know someone doesn't actually know about Chicago. I'm not saying the South Side isn't bad - there's real bad parts, but not all of it is bad. There are some very good and safe areas on the South Side too.
Lol. Yeah, he/she clearly hasn't been to Chicago's South Side or possibly Chicago in general. There are certainly bad neighborhoods on the South (and West) sides of Chicago, but to say the ENTIRE South Side is "bad" is just laughable. My Asian friend Hailin who is a second year Law student at the U of Chicago (top 5 in the nation) in Hyde Park sure is a gangbanger. He lives in Kenwood in a rather nice apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,928,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Lol. Yeah, he/she clearly hasn't been to Chicago's South Side or possibly Chicago in general. There are certainly bad neighborhoods on the South (and West) sides of Chicago, but to say the ENTIRE South Side is "bad" is just laughable. My Asian friend Hailin who is a second year Law student at the U of Chicago in Hyde Park sure is a gangbanger.
Of course! The #5 rated college/university in the country is so ghetto

Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,714,517 times
Like I said the other day, the Southside is a massive place (half the city's land area) and has a few rough areas, lots of decent and ordinary areas, and quite a few prosperous areas.

The Westside is another story, I don't follow City-Data logic, how the actual dangerous part of Chicago goes under the radar and Southside is used as a posterchild for crime inaccurately. The worst Chicago neighborhoods and most crime ridden ones, are in the Westside.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:23 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,928,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The Westside is another story, I don't follow City-Data logic, how the actual dangerous part of Chicago goes under the radar and Southside is used as a posterchild for crime inaccurately. The worst Chicago neighborhoods and most crime ridden ones, are in the Westside.
Agreed, but there's more of them on the south side and I think the bad areas of the south side have been worse for longer than the bad areas of the west side. Also, some areas of the nearer west side are much safer now than they were even 15 years ago.I'm talking about Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village, even parts of Humboldt Park, Logan Square, and just general parts of Near West Side around say...the United Center.

You are right though - West Garfield Park on the west side, homicide rate wise, is actually worse than the notorious Englewood by a little bit. Austin was pretty safe and middle class (same as Garfield Park, North Lawndale, etc...or at least kind of safe) and then some **** happened like block busters, Sears left and moved their HQ downtown and some of the people moved out. Then there's the whole Heroin Highway thing with that area and suburban kids needing their fix. There's still some really good areas of there but there's also some very ****ty areas.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,452,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I feel the same way about the South Side of Chicago...I'd rather go to Afghanistan.
Dallas doesn't have rough areas? I assume it does... and I assume you wouldn't live there either.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,907,797 times
If I had to choose between Chicago and Dallas, I'd pick Chicago, even though I despise cold weather.

People in Chicago are easier to live around than people in Dallas, esp. coming from New England (where I'm from)--more tolerant, open-minded, progressive, easy-going, etc.

For me personally, most of Texas--including Dallas--is just too Southern. Even though people say Dallas is where a bunch of Californians/East Coasters go for bigger/newer/cheaper housing, I disagree. Dallas, esp. in the suburbs and outlying areas, is very backwards. There's still too much "Bubba talk" and too many "Bible thumpers" for me to like it there.

Although warmer than Chicago overall, Dallas' weather is more volatile/dangerous, hence higher insurance costs.

To whomever suggested that Dallas is gay-friendly, I wanna know what you're smokin'! "Gay-unfriendly" is more like it! In my travels, the only U.S. city that seemed more conservative overall than Dallas was OKC.

At the end of the day, Dallas is a Southern city, and the South is a whole 'nother ball of wax from Chicago and the Upper Midwest. I think that if push came to shove, most Americans would be able to better adjust to life in Chicago vs. Dallas.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 PM

930 posts, read 1,238,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Whats your explination for the large gay community or the elected gay sheriff? Whats your explination for the gay populations that do live in the suburbs happily? Whats your explination for the diversity of the area?

Hint: it isnt all the city of Dallas.
Dallas County leads Texas in straight-ticket Democratic voting. The sheriff is a Democrat... easy victory. She isn't even that great of a sheriff, with the jails that always fail inspection. Dallas also continually elects a county commissioner who doesn't know what a black hole is.

Diversity doesn't necessarily mean liberal. I don't know too many gay people in the suburbs. Actually, all but a couple of my gay/lesbian friends moved to Austin because they didn't feel accepted in DFW. Most people here have backwards views on things like homosexuality and evolution; case in point Collin County being a place where Rick Santorum has campaigned/fund-raised multiple times.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
If I had to choose between Chicago and Dallas, I'd pick Chicago, even though I despise cold weather.

People in Chicago are easier to live around than people in Dallas, esp. coming from New England (where I'm from)--more tolerant, open-minded, progressive, easy-going, etc.

For me personally, most of Texas--including Dallas--is just too Southern. Even though people say Dallas is where a bunch of Californians/East Coasters go for bigger/newer/cheaper housing, I disagree. Dallas, esp. in the suburbs and outlying areas, is very backwards. There's still too much "Bubba talk" and too many "Bible thumpers" for me to like it there.

Although warmer than Chicago overall, Dallas' weather is more volatile/dangerous, hence higher insurance auto insurance

To whomever suggested that Dallas is gay-friendly, I wanna know what you're smokin'!

At the end of the day, Dallas is a Southern city, and the South is a whole 'nother ball of wax from Chicago and the Upper Midwest. I think that if push came to shove, most Americans would be able to better adjust to life in Chicago vs. Dallas.
Ok azriverfan, I'll just say it. You're wrong. Plain and simple.

It's obvious you and azriverfan are one in the same. You have the same rhetoric, are both from Phoenix, and make the same accusations. You're also probably Ponderosa.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 04-08-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Dallas County leads Texas in straight-ticket Democratic voting. The sheriff is a Democrat... easy victory. She isn't even that great of a sheriff, with the jails that always fail inspection. Dallas also continually elects a county commissioner who doesn't know what a black hole is.

Diversity doesn't necessarily mean liberal. I don't know too many gay people in the suburbs. Actually, all but a couple of my gay/lesbian friends moved to Austin because they didn't feel accepted in DFW. Most people here have backwards views on things like homosexuality and evolution; case in point Collin County being a place where Rick Santorum has campaigned/fund-raised multiple times.
And yet Dallas has a higher concentration of gay couples than Austin.

I'll just say it, I don't think your for real. Everything you ever bring up is contradictory to what I've seen in the years I've been here. Nobody is saying the metro area isn't right of center, but gay bashing, backward, and intolerant it is not.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:46 PM

930 posts, read 1,238,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
And yet Dallas has a higher concentration of gay couples than Austin. It was the only place in Texas that rejected Prop 2.

I'll just say it, I don't think your for real. Everything you ever bring up is contradictory to what I've seen in the years I've been here. Nobody is saying the metro area isn't right of center, but gay bashing, backward, and intolerant it is not.
Maybe so, but the attitudes of the people in Austin would generally be less religious and more accepting of homosexuals.

I never said gay-bashing. People can disapprove of homosexuality without bashing them. I've never witnessed anyone wishing violence against homosexuals, mostly just people who believe in traditional, Christian values and who don't approve of homosexuality.

I do believe that DFW is somewhat backwards. You won't believe how many college-educated people, even young people, I run into who hold socially conservative views. I'm not liberal, but I cringe when people say things like "If humans descended from monkeys, how come there are still monkeys?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or