U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rater live in the Chicago or Dallas metro areas?
Chicago metro 97 54.49%
Dallas metro 81 45.51%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Maybe so, but the attitudes of the people in Austin would generally be less religious and more accepting of homosexuals.

I never said gay-bashing. People can disapprove of homosexuality without bashing them. I've never witnessed anyone wishing violence against homosexuals, mostly just people who believe in traditional, Christian values and who don't approve of homosexuality.

I do believe that DFW is somewhat backwards. You won't believe how many college-educated people, even young people, I run into who hold socially conservative views. I'm not liberal, but I cringe when people say things like "If humans descended from monkeys, how come there are still monkeys?"
Dude, who are you hanging out with and where exactly do you live? I've never run into that once!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 PM

5,222 posts, read 5,575,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is how you know someone doesn't actually know about Chicago. I'm not saying the South Side isn't bad - there's real bad parts, but not all of it is bad. There are some very good and safe areas on the South Side too.
You are right. I live on the south side of Chicago and love it.

So much of the experience depends on where you live and your expectations of life in the city.

Chicago is great for the big city experience. There really is no comparison. Esthetics is much better in Chicago as a whole. Chicago has more buildings and flower pots with less litter.

Op,

If you don't have to have the big city experience, Dallas will give you a better day to day quality of life. You have shopping and festivals and things to do if that's what you are into.

Friendliness depends on who you are dealing with. Transplants tend to be more open to making friends from my personal experience.

If you are going to get stuck on the bible belt thing like me you may want to reconsider. Keep in mind Dallas is still in the top 5 metros in the nation so it's no small Texas town. Conservative people are no more provincial than liberals.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,436,963 times
Chicago is great, love it every time I get a chance to go there. But people need to stop bashing Dallas, and Texas because it's in the Bible belt. Yes there is alot of conservative and bible thumping people, but there are also alot of liberal people as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM

930 posts, read 1,238,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Dude, who are you hanging out with and where exactly do you live? I've never run into that once!!!
Another thing, I'm not denying that there are liberal or gay friendly people in DFW. There are. Their attitude is just drowned out by the more vocal majority.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Quote:
Another thing, I'm not denying that there are liberal or gay friendly people in DFW. There are. Their attitude is just drowned out by the more vocal majority.
But I've never encountered, not once, anyone as extreme or stupid as what you're describing. I've encountered and do encounter many republicans and conservatives, but they are the pro-gun, low tax libertarians, not the religious conservatives so much.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM

5,373 posts, read 7,657,321 times
As much as I'd love to move to Chicago, the crime and brutal weather scares me. Dallas.

Last edited by Mezter; 04-08-2014 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,906,247 times
Quote:
I do believe that DFW is somewhat backwards. You won't believe how many college-educated people, even young people, I run into who hold socially conservative views. I'm not liberal, but I cringe when people say things like "If humans descended from monkeys, how come there are still monkeys?"
Funny, I've been saying this for years.

Likewise, I find it really scary when young, college-educated people, say, between the ages of 18-35 hold socially conservative views.

Outside of the South, you'd be hard-pressed to find a young person with socially-conservative views/beliefs. Even in heavily Mormon-influenced areas such as Utah and Idaho, you don't really encounter that.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 PM

5,269 posts, read 7,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Dallas doesn't have rough areas? I assume it does... and I assume you wouldn't live there either.
Of course Dallas has rough areas......what major city doesn't? It's nowhere near the level of Chicago's South Side compared to Southern Dallas (Oak Cliff, South Dallas, West Dallas and Pleasant Grove) as a whole.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 PM

5,269 posts, read 7,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is how you know someone doesn't actually know about Chicago. I'm not saying the South Side isn't bad - there's real bad parts, but not all of it is bad. There are some very good and safe areas on the South Side too.
I know....I'm trolling.....

Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,893,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I feel the same way about the South Side of Chicago...I'd rather go to Afghanistan.
I would rather you go to Afghanistan. That way your chances of ever getting back to Dallas are a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or