U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rater live in the Chicago or Dallas metro areas?
Chicago metro 97 54.49%
Dallas metro 81 45.51%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 AM

11,033 posts, read 13,371,681 times

Advertisements

Which metropolitan area is better and why?

I have visited both and think both have pros and cons. Chicago seems to have a better culture, a more liberal environment, better history and architecture, and superior public transit. The lake is nice and the area in general has more greenery. On the other hand, the winters seem BRUTAL, and the area in general is probably a bit more stressful to live in than Dallas. I'm not sure about the people, attitudes and friendliness though. It's also more expensive.

Dallas has mild winters, but lacks four seasons. Summers are apparently BRUTAL. It's more spread out and suburban in general, and I'm guessing it's a bit more laid back overall. But the people supposedly are friendlier (I'm not sure). And your money will go much further than in Chicago. Apparently, the suburbs of Dallas are very conservative and family oriented. DFW is possibly a better airport than O'Hare. Also, I've heard that Dallas can be a bit pretentious and materialistic, but who knows.

What is your preference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,919,369 times
Chicago.

"Your money will go further in Dallas" is the most true for single people without children, but otherwise I think the higher taxes and family-oriented nature in Chicago provide more services and "bang for your buck" than the DFW area.

I could care less about the "brutal" cold winters in Chicago -- they aren't brutal at all for the most part. Dallas summers, on the other hand.....

Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,907,797 times
I didn't realize Dallas had a four-season climate until I lived there for a year in the recent past. In fact, that was one of the main reasons why I left--I happily gave up seasons when I moved away from New England 20 years ago.

TBH, I never found residents of Dallas to be nearly as friendly as they're purported to be. Most people seemed flashy, pretentious, nosy, materialistic, etc., especially in the suburbs (e.g., Plano, McKinney, Frisco, FM, etc.).

Also, Dallas is the buckle of the Bible Belt, so if you're irreligious/agnostic/atheist and/or liberal/progressive in general, forget it. Vegetarians aren't welcomed either.

Oh, yeah--Dallas has some of ugliest scenery in America, too.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM

11,033 posts, read 13,371,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I didn't realize Dallas had a four-season climate until I lived there for a year in the recent past. In fact, that was one of the main reasons why I left--I happily gave up seasons when I moved away from New England 20 years ago.

TBH, I never found residents of Dallas to be nearly as friendly as they're purported to be. Most people seemed flashy, pretentious, nosy, materialistic, etc., especially in the suburbs (e.g., Plano, McKinney, Frisco, FM, etc.).

Also, Dallas is the buckle of the Bible Belt, so if you're irreligious/agnostic/atheist and/or liberal/progressive in general, forget it. Vegetarians aren't welcomed either.

Sounds very accurate to me. When I visited Dallas, I was only there for 2 days and was generally not impressed with the area. I didn't find it to be slow paced at all, either. The driving was intense, because of insanely high car volume on the roads. The whole area just kind of looked bland and ugly and wasn't green enough. It also seemed third-worldish in many areas. And WAY too many iHops, Wendy's and other chains. When driving around with the windows down, all I could smell was nasty fried food in the air mixed with the heat. Absolutely nasty.

And yes, for me, I prefer progressive places. I can't stand the conservative mentality for the most part, and am not religious at all. Although, this thread isn't about me. It's a just-for-fun thread.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 AM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Sure. If you live in the suburbs. If you live in Dallas, you will be fine if you are irreligious/agnostic/atheist and/or liberal. In fact, Dallas County and especially the city of Dallas is probably way more liberal than it is conservative. Does progressive = liberal anyway? Why wouldn't vegetarians be welcomed in Dallas?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:08 AM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
BTW, I love both cities. But I choose Chicago.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

This is garbage. Pure trash. Absolultely false.

I live here and you couldnt be more wrong. Dallas itself is full of liberals and progressives. The metro area is center to right leaning. Dallas has one of the largest and most vibrant gay communities in the US.

You dont have a clue what youre talking about or youre lying/exaggerating. Im still undecided.

By the way, I would vote Chicago. Its a better city and I lived there for a few years, but the winters are hell. I have an easier time dealing with summer here.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's a just-for-fun thread.
Then why didnt read the old threads? There is a search function if youre smart enough to figure out how to use it.

You put up a CD darling up against one of the most hated cities on CD, what do you think will be the outcome?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,577,354 times
I currently live in Chicago and am ready to go. I've visited Dallas and don't know for sure that I could make it there but would be willing to give it a try.

I can't stand conservative bible belt culture. Otoh, I don't know if it was just the part of town we were in but Dallas seemed very progressive. Very diverse population with lots of inter racial couples. Lots of open same sex relationships too. Not only in uptown but everywhere we went. I also noticed that the restaurants/bars that we did go to people interacted with each other casually better without a thought.

Dallas is full of transplants and doesn't tend to have the neighborhood loyalty type mess that you have in Chicago. However I'm sure the residents of Plano would quickly throw shade at someone from south Dallas.

I did see the pretentious thing to. Lots of teens and young adults fashioned up driving luxury cars that matches their outfits. A lot of $30k millionaires. Chicagoans don't care about pretending to be prosperous. Being originally from the midwest, I like the it is what it is attitude.

I am gay but the women in Dallas have Chicago beat by a long shot. Very classy, talkative and feminine. A straight guy (especially Black) would be in paradise in Dallas.

These are only my observations.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,572,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
This is garbage. Pure trash. Absolultely false.

I live here and you couldnt be more wrong. Dallas itself is full of liberals and progressives. The metro area is center to right leaning. Dallas has one of the largest and most vibrant gay communities in the US.

You dont have a clue what youre talking about or youre lying/exaggerating. Im still undecided.

By the way, I would vote Chicago. Its a better city and I lived there for a few years, but the winters are hell. I have an easier time dealing with summer here.
Does it? My boyfriend was down there last summer and was shocked, they went to a few of the gay bars and there were groups of people with signs and pickets across the street from them screaming stuff about God and repenting. He said the scene seemed fairly spread out and quiet, although we live near Boystown in Chicago which is extremely dense and packed with dozens of gay bars, restaurants, etc. lined up back to back. It's all relative, but he thought Dallas would be a bit better than protesters on a random Friday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or