U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best group of cities within a reasonable drive or short flight
NORTHEAST: Boston/NYC/Philadelphia/Baltimore/DC 30 55.56%
WEST: San Francisco/Las Vegas/Los Angeles/San Diego 11 20.37%
TEXAS: Dallas/Austin/San Antonio/Houston 3 5.56%
FLORIDA: Jacksonville/Orlando/Tampa/Miami/Key West 2 3.70%
UPPER MIDWEST: Madison/Milwaukee/Chicago/Indianapolis 2 3.70%
SOUTHEAST: Richmond/Norfolk/Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta 3 5.56%
OHIO RIVER VALLEY: Detroit/Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Columbus 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,760,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
ehh, unless you take Highway 101, which takes a lot longer than I-5, the drive between SF and LA is mind numbingly flat, ugly, and boring. Vegas is not too bad if you like some mountain/desert scenery but for the most part is pretty flat and boring too. The drive between LA and SD is somewhat scenic in SD County but not OC or LA and there is a TON of traffic.

The train ride is very scenic though between South OC and SD as it hugs the coast much of the way.
I'll also add to the description -- The poll is also a measure of the overall quality of visiting the cities combined in the group.

When you think of it this way, it's a tough poll because in the N.E. clearly NYC, BOS, and DC are desireable but baltimore and philly not as much (no affense). The West has Vegas, SF, and LA which exhibits an incredible amount of diversity between each city. The Texas and Florida cities hold their own as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,760,793 times
Since I can't add it to the title:

**NOTE: The poll is also a measure of the overall quality of visiting the cities combined in the group. Not just the transportation attributes of traveling between each city.

Sorry for the disruption. This is my first poll

Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,506,920 times
Even with my strong California bias it is hard to compete with the northeast in this regard, even if individually none of those cities are my absolute favorite.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:52 PM

13,143 posts, read 15,938,426 times
I don't like the choices.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,544,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Neither do I.

Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Washington DC/Baltimore

Old 04-12-2014, 01:19 PM

9,046 posts, read 17,333,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Agreed, they really weren't very well thought out. I didn't even vote on the poll. I also didn't realize Detroit and Cleveland had any association with the Ohio River Valley. Also we have Upper Midwest with no Minneapolis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
This is for cities in the UNITED STATES only. Hence why Pacific Northwest was left off the list (Vancouver)
I probably would have chose Seattle/Portland/Vancouver but the choices have limitations and flaws. Pity.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 04-12-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,726,682 times
Portland to Seattle to Victoria to Vancouver.

That one.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:25 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,702,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
NORTHEAST:

...OHIO RIVER VALLEY: Detroit/Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Columbus
Since when are Detroit, Cleveland, and Columbus "Ohio River Valley" cities, but Cincinnati isn't?

Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 AM

3,530 posts, read 2,179,006 times
I would revise UPPER MIDWEST to include Saint Louis (probably instead of Indianapolis), and point out that Amtrak rail travel is also available in this region (with Chicago as the hub). Maybe Saint Louis - Chicago - Wisconsin.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,034,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Agreed, they really weren't very well thought out. I didn't even vote on the poll. I also didn't realize Detroit and Cleveland had any association with the Ohio River Valley. Also we have Upper Midwest with no Minneapolis?

I probably would have chose Seattle/Portland/Vancouver but the choices have limitations and flaws. Pity.
Yes, and from Seattle to Vancouver and Victoria it's actually a shorter distance then some of the other cities grouped together--actually even Portland to Vancouver is shorter than a lot of other distances(only about 5 hours on the interstate). Closer than driving from San Francisco to San Diego or Las Vegas for example.

Also cities within a close drive would be a different deal than short flight. For example, basically the entire Western US is within a short flight of Las Vegas(it's a really simple weekend trip with a lot of flight options). Once you get into the realm of 6-7 hour+ of driving time each way though, it's less an option as a short road trip and more something you'd just fly to--or take a longer trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or