Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose?
Denver, CO 6 23.08%
Minneapolis, MN 9 34.62%
Seattle, WA 7 26.92%
Phoenix, AZ 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
1. Employment: Minneapolis; Seattle; Denver; Phoenix (MSP has lowest unemployment rate in USA plus a pretty high average wage)
2. Cost of living: Phoenix, Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle (Although comparing utility costs with a friend in Phoenix mine are lower in Minneapolis)
3. Professional sports: Denver ties Minneapolis, Seattle and Phoenix pretty much wash each other out.
4. Climate: Denver; Minneapolis; Seattle; Phoenix (MN winters are no joke but the rest of the year is awesome. Denver has nice winters where the snow usually melts off in days and you can have 70 degree days in January)
5. Outdoors: To me Denver ties Minneapolis and not sure who to pick over Phoenix or Seattle. Both MSP and DEN are top ranked for active and healthy residents. Denver is based right at the foothills of the Rockies and MSP share the Mississippi river along with countless trail surrounded lakes. Both are top bike friendly cities to boot.

Adding these:
Cannabis Laws: Denver; Seattle; Minneapolis; Phoenix

Taxes: Seattle; Denver; Phoenix; Minneapolis (MSP has a high income tax rate but provides a fairly high level of service which you may or may not find valuable. CO has a 4.3% flat IT where WA has no state IT.

Transit: Denver; Minneapolis; Seattle; Phoenix

Skylines: all cities except Phoenix have nice skyscrapers. Phoenix on its own is comparable to St Paul. However, if you factor in both Minneapolis and St Paul then I would rank the TC as having the most picturesque skyline.

I moved to MSP from DEN and if I could make a completely lateral move I would go back to Denver. I have good friends in both Seattle and Phoenix but have not been to either so I am basing ranking on discussion and online rankings and data points. Denver has a slightly more favorable climate to me. I like the arid western vibe and the lack of muggy dew points. If the winters in MSP weren't so extreme I would probably be quite content. The MSP metro is a really nice place overall. You have great quality of life, affordable housing, good wages and overall job market, nice mix of urban forestry with scenic rivers and lakes. It isn't super flat as the SP side has river bluffs. With the other exception of Phoenix all of these metros mentioned consistently rank towards the top of national rankings for Quality of life, careers, and residents health.
I have to reiterate what's already been said, Denver has a lower COL than Minneapolis. The Mpls area is very "pretty". The Rockies are stunning.
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have to reiterate what's already been said, Denver has a lower COL than Minneapolis. The Mpls area is very "pretty". The Rockies are stunning.
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney
They're almost identical, what are you talking about?

The median single-family home values of houses sold in 2014 according to the National Association of Realtors:

Denver: $288K
Minneapolis: $188K

I'm not sure how CNN's cost of living calculator calculates the home prices but it seems way off, according to this data anyways. This is also what I've heard to be true about both regions and their home values and I never understood how somebody from Denver could claim it's "cheap".

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 AM

I'm not saying Denver is "cheap", not by a long shot. But it's not outrageously expensive. On our recent trip to MSP, we noticed that St. Paul in particular has a lot of very old housing. Our daughter is living in an apt in a house that was built in 1889. You don't find those kind of houses in Denver, or not many of them anyway. Those houses tend to be less expensive, particularly if they haven't been rehabbed recently. I kind of have a feeling the same house would go for about the same amt. of money in either city, meaning Denver and Mpls, not Minn and St. Paul.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I agree that seeing the millions of dead pine trees throughout the Colorado Rockies waiting for the next lightning strike is indeed stunning.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I agree that seeing the millions of dead pine trees throughout the Colorado Rockies waiting for the next lightning strike is indeed stunning.
Are you saying that all of CO looks like that? Why do people nitpick at certain things in an attempt to discredit a places beauty.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Are you saying that all of CO looks like that? Why do people nitpick at certain things in an attempt to discredit a places beauty.
Exactly! And the pine beetle infestation seems to be abating. What about all those lakes full of scum (algae) in MN?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Exactly! And the pine beetle infestation seems to be abating. What about all those lakes full of scum (algae) in MN?
Actually, very few of all of lakes have algae (although there's always a few exceptions). That's mostly limited to small ponds.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Actually, very few of all of lakes have algae (although there's always a few exceptions). That's mostly limited to small ponds.
Exactly! There are not vast swaths of pine forest destroyed by the pine beetle in CO, either.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Now you're just being hypocritical, considering the veiled "pretty" comment-- which was exactly what that poster was responding to.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Now you're just being hypocritical, considering the veiled "pretty" comment-- which was exactly what that poster was responding to.
I was giving an example of a similar statement to "millions of dead pine trees throughout the Colorado Rockies waiting for the next lightning strike".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City