Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most authentic southern state
Virginia 6 2.75%
North Carolina 7 3.21%
South Carolina 15 6.88%
Georgia 15 6.88%
Florida 4 1.83%
Alabama 40 18.35%
Mississippi 79 36.24%
Louisiana 18 8.26%
Texas 12 5.50%
Arkansas 9 4.13%
Tennessee 10 4.59%
Kentucky 3 1.38%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM

155 posts, read 328,400 times

Advertisements

I've heard that the South has been experiencing a "yankee invasion" which I guess is a movement of Americans from northern states into the South, so my question is what is the most authentic southern state for southern culture in USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Muh-sippah

and a case could be made for Louisiana, Arkansas, and maybe honorable mention for Alabama.

Florida, NC and Virginia are full of people from other parts of the nation. Tennessee, GA, and SC have their share as well.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:11 PM

Mississippi was my choice as well

Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
I would probably say that would be Alabama, Louisiana, or Mississippi. To a slightly lesser extent, Tennessee, Georgia, and Kentucky as well (Parts of Atlanta don't feel too "Southern" to me and I don't know if TN could be considered a "Deep South" state like the first three), but rural Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia all seem extremely Southern.

South Carolina is pretty close, but is starting to get a bit tainted by Northerners flocking to areas such as Myrtle Beach and even Charleston. Virginia and Florida were once extremely Southern, but Virginia (northern Virginia) has been tainted by Washington D.C.'s influence and Florida has been tainted by....many things (Northerners flocking in droves, tourists overrunning the Orlando area, Hispanic influence in Miami, etc.) North Carolina certainly is a Southern state with its love of barbecue and huge tobacco industry, but Northerners are most likely starting to dilute that area as well.

Don't believe anyone who says Texas. Texas is not a Southern state, so it is disqualified (Nothing against Texas).

I don't know enough about the demographics of Arkansas, and Oklahoma, while I consider it a Southern state, it seems to have more of a Midwestern feel. Arkansas probably feels more Southern than Oklahoma.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM

I always thought Texas was southern? I left out Oklahoma, Missouri and West Virginia because some don't consider them southern. I think Maryland used to be southern, but is now northern?

Sorry, if my knowledge is wrong.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I would probably say that would be Alabama, Louisiana, or Mississippi. To a slightly lesser extent, Tennessee, Georgia, and Kentucky as well (Parts of Atlanta don't feel too "Southern" to me and I don't know if TN could be considered a "Deep South" state like the first three), but rural Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia all seem extremely Southern.

South Carolina is pretty close, but is starting to get a bit tainted by Northerners flocking to areas such as Myrtle Beach and even Charleston. Virginia and Florida were once extremely Southern, but Virginia (northern Virginia) has been tainted by Washington D.C.'s influence and Florida has been tainted by....many things (Northerners flocking in droves, tourists overrunning the Orlando area, Hispanic influence in Miami, etc.) North Carolina certainly is a Southern state with its love of barbecue and huge tobacco industry, but Northerners are most likely starting to dilute that area as well.

Don't believe anyone who says Texas. Texas is not a Southern state, so it is disqualified (Nothing against Texas).

I don't know enough about the demographics of Arkansas, and Oklahoma, while I consider it a Southern state, it seems to have more of a Midwestern feel. Arkansas probably feels more Southern than Oklahoma.
Oh lord, I wonder sometimes how many of these polls/threads are going to go on! LOL

Anyway, Texas is a Southern state. What are your reasons/credentials to disqualify it? Or? To disbelieve those who feel otherwise. I honestly anxiously await!

BTW - I voted Mississippi. That it happens to be my primary "ancestral home-state" doesn't influence.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Oh lord, I wonder sometimes how many of these polls/threads are going to go on! LOL

Anyway, Texas is a Southern state. What are your reasons/credentials to disqualify it? Or? To disbelieve those who feel otherwise. I honestly anxiously await!

BTW - I voted Mississippi. That it happens to be my primary "ancestral home-state" doesn't influence.
I have nothing against Texas (Actually I'd take TX any day over CA and NY, and believe it's one of the least appreciated states), but culturally and historically, one can not say that Texas is similar to Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana. It is not too similar to Arizona or New Mexico either though, which makes Texas something of a unique case. In my opinion, Texas takes most of its traditions from Southwestern culture (Love of Mexican cuisine, its "Western" cowboy culture, etc.) and serves as the transition zone between the Deep South and the Southwest.

People associate Texas more with the last stand at the Alamo and Mexican cuisine more than they do with the Confederacy and Southern food. Texas is considered the "Wild West", not the Old South. I like Texas, but if it were to be considered Southern, what's to stop Missouri and West Virginia from being considered Southern?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post
I always thought Texas was southern? I left out Oklahoma, Missouri and West Virginia because some don't consider them southern. I think Maryland used to be southern, but is now northern?

Sorry, if my knowledge is wrong.
I believe when using terms like "Southern" and "Northern", it is a mix of culture and geography, rather than just total geography.

Oklahoma is a Southern state, but I can see why some feel it has Midwestern influences.

Missouri is a Midwestern state, though definately has a more Southern feel than many of the other Midwestern states (But I've heard people claim that parts of southern Ohio feel like the South).

West Virginia is an interesting case as one can easily just follow historical precedent and lump it in with Virginia, but Florida seems more Southern to me than West Virginia, and WV's culture seems to have a strong Midwestern feel that leads me to associate it with states such as Indiana. I don't believe there would be that much of a culture shock for people moving from Pittsburgh, PA, to urban WV.

Let's not even start up the Maryland and Delaware debate again. The Mason-Dixon line is outdated and not relevant to the political and cultural realities of the 21st century. If you told folks in Alabama that you were a Southerner, and then went on to say you were from Maryland or Delaware, they would probably either be confused or laugh in your face.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
People associate Texas more with the last stand at the Alamo and Mexican cuisine more than they do with the Confederacy and Southern food. Texas is considered the "Wild West", not the Old South. I like Texas, but if it were to be considered Southern, what's to stop Missouri and West Virginia from being considered Southern?
You can't put the whole of Texas into any one category. The last stand at the Alamo and Mexican cuisine are associated specifically with San Antonio and not the entire state of Texas (the former more than the latter). I say that Texas straddles three regions: the South, the Plains, and the Southwest. Overall though, it's generally considered a Southern state, just with its own flavor and unique history.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You can't put the whole of Texas into any one category. The last stand at the Alamo and Mexican cuisine are associated specifically with San Antonio and not the entire state of Texas (the former more than the latter). I say that Texas straddles three regions: the South, the Plains, and the Southwest. Overall though, it's generally considered a Southern state, just with its own flavor and unique history.
Only geographically.....

Texas is referred to by the media as either Southern, Southwestern, or Western. Culturally and Historically; it's more than just southern as well. Anyways, answers are going to differ about TX being southern depending on where one grew up at. Speak to someone in Austin; they'll say no. Someone in East Texas; they'll say yes.

I tell people I'm from the south though because my city had a more prominent southern influence than western.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City