U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international/cosmpolitan
Chicago 81 42.41%
San Francisco 110 57.59%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times

Advertisements

Take it from someone outside of this discussion...no one care about where the biggest MCDonalds is. Who thinks of this stuff? I knew about the Chicago element, but it really doesn't make a difference where the biggest location is. And who knew about where the first location was...please explain why that should matter to me. I'm not easily impressed, just to forewarn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 02:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,168,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
^Thank goodness for Wiki to give us the inside scoop eh?
Actually, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, an old neighbor of mine was in charge of starting the company's Japan operations. I've also known other executives who worked for the company. And I've watched plenty of documentaries on Kroc/the company over the years. There is more to life than the internet.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:09 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Sure whatever you say buddy;-)

Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,145,387 times
SF by twelve-fold.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 AM

83 posts, read 71,035 times
Chicago surpasses SF by leaps and bounds, it's a shock that these two cities are even being compared at all. It's like comparing New York City to Cincinnati, Ohio (a great city in itself, but come on...)

There's a reason some of the most prominent corporations and people in the WORLD call Chicago their home. International business is booming, with construction of the Wanda Tower beginning in 2016. "The developers the Wanda Group, which is controlled by mainland China's richest man, Wang Jianlin, and Chicago-based Magellan Development Group want to break ground in 2016. With Wanda Group's investment, many expect that the project may not need pre-sales before starting construction." World-class hotels are popping up like weeds in Chicago, because CEOs of these companies realize that Chicago is BOOMING in tourism.

Last time I checked, billionaires like Donald Trump and Wang Jianlin weren't putting up 5-star hotel skyscrapers in San Francisco.

Just to compare,

Recent 5 Star World-Class hotel constructions in Chicago:

Trump International Hotel and Tower - 1,389 feet Cost - $847 Million

Wanda Tower - 1,148 feet Cost - ~$900 million

San Francisco's Tallest building:

Transamerica Pyramid - 853 feet Cost - $32 Million

You just can't compete...

Millennium Park is by far one of the best inner-city parks imaginable, which was made possible by major corporations such as Chase, McDonalds, Hyatt, BP, Boeing, AT&T and many more gifting money towards the construction of this park.

You can walk 10-15 minutes out from high-end stores and famous restaurants on Michigan Avenue onto a warm sandy beach with some of the nicest water in the country on a summer day! (salt-free) The fact that Chicago has warm weather opposed to "light-jacket" weather all year-round should be enough to end this "debate" once and for all.

San Francisco's skyline is so dull and repetitive, with no character and no real height (apart from the Transamerica Pyramid)...

If New York City sneezed, the result would be downtown San Francisco. The only things I think of when I hear the words "San Francisco" are Full House and the Golden-Gate Bridge. Sorry SF, you'll never be better, just stop...

Last edited by DubaiUAE; 01-13-2015 at 03:14 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 08:50 AM

2,470 posts, read 1,996,536 times
Oh god... here we go again

Old 01-13-2015, 04:15 PM

200 posts, read 238,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
Chicago surpasses SF by leaps and bounds, it's a shock that these two cities are even being compared at all. It's like comparing New York City to Cincinnati, Ohio (a great city in itself, but come on...)

There's a reason some of the most prominent corporations and people in the WORLD call Chicago their home. International business is booming, with construction of the Wanda Tower beginning in 2016. "The developers — the Wanda Group, which is controlled by mainland China's richest man, Wang Jianlin, and Chicago-based Magellan Development Group — want to break ground in 2016. With Wanda Group's investment, many expect that the project may not need pre-sales before starting construction." World-class hotels are popping up like weeds in Chicago, because CEOs of these companies realize that Chicago is BOOMING in tourism.

Last time I checked, billionaires like Donald Trump and Wang Jianlin weren't putting up 5-star hotel skyscrapers in San Francisco.

Just to compare,

Recent 5 Star World-Class hotel constructions in Chicago:

Trump International Hotel and Tower - 1,389 feet Cost - $847 Million

Wanda Tower - 1,148 feet Cost - ~$900 million

San Francisco's Tallest building:

Transamerica Pyramid - 853 feet Cost - $32 Million

You just can't compete...

Millennium Park is by far one of the best inner-city parks imaginable, which was made possible by major corporations such as Chase, McDonalds, Hyatt, BP, Boeing, AT&T and many more gifting money towards the construction of this park.

You can walk 10-15 minutes out from high-end stores and famous restaurants on Michigan Avenue onto a warm sandy beach with some of the nicest water in the country on a summer day! (salt-free) The fact that Chicago has warm weather opposed to "light-jacket" weather all year-round should be enough to end this "debate" once and for all.

San Francisco's skyline is so dull and repetitive, with no character and no real height (apart from the Transamerica Pyramid)...

If New York City sneezed, the result would be downtown San Francisco. The only things I think of when I hear the words "San Francisco" are Full House and the Golden-Gate Bridge. Sorry SF, you'll never be better, just stop...
"International" is defined by individual preference of beaches, parks, and weather?
The truth is, foreign investment in San Francisco is at an all time high, and foreign buyers (62% of whom are Asian) are snatching up Bay Area real estate faster than virtually any region of the country.
In terms of your beloved skyscrapers, SF has 19 highrises under construction as opposed to Chicago's (3x bigger) 15.
And if you'd bothered reading as much as a Wikipedia page on SF, you'd know that, historically, the city harbors a large NIMBY population determined to strike down any development that would threaten the "neighborhood atmosphere" or block views. Even then, construction in SF is still occuring at a faster pace and foreign investments continue to pour into the city from all corners of the world.
As someone who has lived near both, I can assure you that SF is culturally more diverse (though Chicago doesn't slack in this respect) and is only growing in terms of international connections (The number of international passengers through SFO has increased 5.6% year over year while that count has declined 1.7% at ORD).
Anyways, I'll leave you to read the thread title and try posting again

Last edited by garyjohnyang; 01-13-2015 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 04:30 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
lol @ cities having feelings

Old 01-13-2015, 04:34 PM

559 posts, read 510,846 times
SF is the more exciting, vibrant city right now. Also, it's more internationally exposed because Apple is always doing this, or Google is always doing that.

Also, being coastal does matter.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
I would say that Chicago is more cosmopolitan, but SF is more international. I think that's fair. Chicago has more of a big city feel, and SF has more immigrants and non-American visitors.

Also, LOL at some SF forumers claiming that SF is more exciting because of Apple and Google. Giant corporations don't exactly make a place more exciting, and neither company is based in SF city or metro area anyways. "Hon, let's check out SF because the world's leading search engine is located in a nearby metro area". Yeah, no...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City