Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international/cosmpolitan
Chicago 81 42.41%
San Francisco 110 57.59%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:05 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times

Advertisements

Just in the last few years you have Godzilla, the new Planet of the Apes, The Internship, Blue Jasmine, Zodiac, Four Christmases, Hulk, Pacific Rim, Pursuit of Happyness,

And how about The Sweetest Thing, Mrs Doubtfire, Pacific Heights, The Rock, Basic Instinct, Bullitt, Star Trek series where SF is the capital of the universe, Dirty Harry, Dr. Doolittle, Forrest Gump (large parts of it), The Graduate, Maltese Falcon, Vertigo (and the Birds and so many Hitchcock movies), How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Quicksilver, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Sister Act, Serendipity, Rumor Has It, Bond film A View to a Kill, What's Up Doc, and other SF classics?

I know Chicago has its fair share of notable movies set there, but San Francisco has a stellar, very hard to beat list. The other thread where people are asked where they think the most romantic cities are (San Francisco being a top choice) makes it a popular filming/setting location. The same draw that makes it a top tourist destination also makes it popular for movies.

Category:Films set in San Francisco, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In terms of culture, SF, along with NYC, gave the US the Beatniks, and then the hippies followed. SF was also big for music in the 80s, and has played a large role as a place where different styles of both punk and electronic music have unfolded there.

Some musicians from the area:

Bonnie Raitt
E-40 (rap)
Grateful Dead
Huey Lewis and the News (80s)
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Journey (70s/80s)
Mac Dre
Operation Ivy (80s ska punk)
Papa Roach (90s rock)
Santana
Steve Miller Band (70s)
Third Eye Blind
Train
AFI
Counting Crows
Eddie Money (80s)
Green Day
Joe Satriani
MC Hammer
Machine Head
Metallica
NOFX
Too Short
Bassnectar
Pretty Lights
Doobie Brothers
Sammy Hagar
Smash Mouth
Trapt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cisco_Bay_Area

Looking at the list, not even looking at groups that moved to the Bay Area (such as 60s banks, 80s bands, 000s punk bands, and popular DJs of today), the list well represents classic rock, folk music, rap, electronic, punk/ska, metal, and 80s music.

So in terms of pop culture, the Bay Area is really no slouch.

Last edited by anonelitist; 01-14-2015 at 12:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:49 AM

83 posts, read 99,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Uh, no.

There are a lot of reasons to prefer Chicago over San Francisco, but this one is false.

Taken over the course of the last 50 years, San Francisco has CONSISTENTLY beaten out Chicago. In fact its probably one of the only reasons why I HAVE been seeing San Fran and Chicago as being more "neck and neck"

Chicago has largely given the world largely only African American talent and genres in music, etc. (in this way Chicago mirrors its beleaguered midwest brother: Detroit).

San Fran was THE LEADER in popular music during the revolutionary late 60s. I know thats been a long time ago, but some eras are more pivotal and defining. And the reality is, that while SF was giving the world the Grateful Dead, the 68 democratic convention was going on in Chicago. Why is what happened that long ago relevant to today? Because the young people of that era are the political and business leaders today.

SF was where widespread acceptance and tolerance for homosexuals in our society started.

SF is the core of the global capital of the technology that has revolutionized our world. Period. Chicago is middle americas hub for finance and commodity exchanges, and a transportation hub.

I do realize that SF may get a little overrated, and that Chicago is clearly the one that is and feels like the "big city", but on so many levels SF leads Chicago in new ideas.

Chicago was a leader in making unique, timeless iconic movies in the 80s. As far as stuff made after the millenium, you have high fidelity, big fat greek wedding, a couple others.

But no, Chicago most certainly does not take it in terms of pop culture.

Just stop. This is too funny. Don't bring up the 60's unless you want me to bring up the 30's... I'm talking about recent (within the past 10 years or so), and you are so very wrong. SF Is beyond overrated. You're comparing the entire San Francisco Bay Area to the city of Chicago, How much of a handicap do you need?

Excuse me? Only African American talent? Do Black Americans (hardly African at this point in time don't you think) produce a specific genre of music or something? That has to be the most ignorant/prejudice thing I've read all week.

I won't waste my time listing all the movies filmed within the past 10 years, so here's a link to one.

link: City of Chicago :: Movies Filmed in Chicago

3 of the 10 highest grossing films of all time in the WORLD were filmed primarily in Chicago.

THE DARK KNIGHT (major blockbuster and the 4th highest grossing movie of all time) Grossed : $1.01 Billion and rising

Transformers: Dark of the Moon Grossed: $1.12 Billion and surpassing

Transformers: Age of Extinction Grossed: $1.08 Billion and rising

Here are just some of the blockbusters/movies being filmed now. You guys definitely get Ant-Man though, I love me some Paul Rudd.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (being filmed now)

Transformers 4 (being filmed now)

Sinister 2 (being filmed now)

Insurgent (being filmed now)

Unexpected (being filmed now)

I-Robot

Divergent

Superman: Man of Steel

Eagle Eye

Those are just movies filmed within the last 10 years, and don't include monumental classics. You can never tell me that San Francisco's pop-culture is greater, you'll get nothing but laughs..

Last edited by DubaiUAE; 01-14-2015 at 01:29 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Just in the last few years you have Godzilla, the new Planet of the Apes, The Internship, Blue Jasmine, Zodiac, Four Christmases, Hulk, Pacific Rim, Pursuit of Happyness,

And how about The Sweetest Thing, Mrs Doubtfire, Pacific Heights, The Rock, Basic Instinct, Bullitt, Star Trek series where SF is the capital of the universe, Dirty Harry, Dr. Doolittle, Forrest Gump (large parts of it), The Graduate, Maltese Falcon, Vertigo (and the Birds and so many Hitchcock movies), How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Quicksilver, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Sister Act, Serendipity, Rumor Has It, Bond film A View to a Kill, What's Up Doc, and other SF classics?

I know Chicago has its fair share of notable movies set there, but San Francisco has a stellar, very hard to beat list. The other thread where people are asked where they think the most romantic cities are (San Francisco being a top choice) makes it a popular filming/setting location. The same draw that makes it a top tourist destination also makes it popular for movies.

Looking at the list, not even looking at groups that moved to the Bay Area (such as 60s banks, 80s bands, 000s punk bands, and popular DJs of today), the list well represents classic rock, folk music, rap, electronic, punk/ska, metal, and 80s music.

Pacific Rim was not filmed in SF...it was mentioned in the movie however, but if you want to go by cities mentioned in movies then you know Chicago easily dominates in that regard.

Hard to beat? Not quite. Old list not really pertaining to the past 10 years? Definitely! Aside from the top list of movies you recommended, what major blockbusters came out of there?

My point was that Chicago's pop-culture is greater than San Francisco's.

I won't waste my time listing all the movies filmed within the past 10 years, so here's a link to one.

3 of the 10 highest grossing films of all time in the WORLD were filmed primarily in Chicago.

THE DARK KNIGHT (major blockbuster and the 4th highest grossing movie of all time) Grossed : $1.01 Billion and rising

Here are just some of the blockbusters/movies being filmed now. You guys definitely get Ant-Man though, I love me some Paul Rudd.

I-Robot

Divergent

Eagle Eye

Those are just movies filmed within the last 10 years, and don't include monumental classics. You can never tell me that San Francisco's pop-culture is greater, you'll get nothing but laughs..

Last edited by DubaiUAE; 01-14-2015 at 01:29 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 01:00 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
Just stop. This is too funny. Don't bring up the 60's unless you want me to bring up the 30's... I'm talking about recent (within the past 10 years or so), and you are so very wrong. SF Is beyond overrated. You're comparing the entire San Francisco Bay Area to the city of Chicago, How much of a handicap do you need?

Excuse me? Only African American talent? Do Black Americans (hardly African at this point in time don't you think) produce a specific genre of music or something? That has to be the most ignorant/prejudice thing I've read all week.

I won't waste my time listing all the movies filmed within the past 10 years

but here are just some of the blockbusters,

THE DARK KNIGHT (major blockbuster) Grossed : $1.01 Billion

I-Robot

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Transformers: Age of Extinction

Divergent

Eagle Eye

and so many more (just look at the list)

WTF is up with you dorks and movies?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
What's wrong with movies?

Old 01-14-2015, 02:47 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
Uh, no.

There are a lot of reasons to prefer Chicago over San Francisco, but this one is false.

Taken over the course of the last 50 years, San Francisco has CONSISTENTLY beaten out Chicago. In fact its probably one of the only reasons why I HAVE been seeing San Fran and Chicago as being more "neck and neck"

Chicago has largely given the world largely only African American talent and genres in music, etc. (in this way Chicago mirrors its beleaguered midwest brother: Detroit).

San Fran was THE LEADER in popular music during the revolutionary late 60s. I know thats been a long time ago, but some eras are more pivotal and defining. And the reality is, that while SF was giving the world the Grateful Dead, the 68 democratic convention was going on in Chicago. Why is what happened that long ago relevant to today? Because the young people of that era are the political and business leaders today.

SF was where widespread acceptance and tolerance for homosexuals in our society started.

SF is the core of the global capital of the technology that has revolutionized our world. Period. Chicago is middle americas hub for finance and commodity exchanges, and a transportation hub.

I do realize that SF may get a little overrated, and that Chicago is clearly the one that is and feels like the "big city", but on so many levels SF leads Chicago in new ideas.

Chicago was a leader in making unique, timeless iconic movies in the 80s. As far as stuff made after the millenium, you have high fidelity, big fat greek wedding, a couple others.

But no, Chicago most certainly does not take it in terms of pop culture.
This thread define bi-polar . Tex.... as a former Chicagoan. You take me on a passive-aggressive trip in threads CHICAGO is in the topic??? Sometimes defending it, sometimes demeaning and making a mockery of its accomplishment to credits.... others give it???? LIKE HERE.

I CANT BELIVE A PERSON FROM DUBAI HAS TO DEFEND CHICAGO.... FROM SOMEONE IN NAPERVILLE? WITH A FORMER CHICAGOAN TRYING TO LESSON THE CITY FURTHER?

No one denies the 1960s was SF era of influence on pop music and Folk... Most merely converged there, not originating there. But it surely blossomed there. DO YOU REALLY THEN SEE MO-TOWNS INFLUENCE TO 60s MUSIC AS A MEH..... COMPARED TO SF's.. Since you put in in CHICAGO'S level???

But Chicago played a roll all through the JAZZ AND BLUES ERA IF I READ BETWEEN THE LINES? I COULD SEE you view Black music influence is of less importance then White? To say ...oh CHICAGO'S WAS ALL JUST BLACK INFLUENCE??
AS FOR SF GETS ALL CREDIT FOR SILICON VALLEY BY IT? San Jose is actually right there? Apparently San Jose does not get credit for Silicon Valley??

You defend Chicago at times SF is not in the mix but your defense here is TRUST A KNIFE IN ONE SENTENCE ... THEN EASE THE BLEED WITH COVERING THE WOUND WITH A .... BUT CHICAGO DOES HAVE.....
THERE ALSO IS A LIST OF MOVIES FILMED AT LEAST IN PART IN CHICAGO LAST 10 YEARS... I REMEMBER THE 80s coming of age films too?? But really for you it was My Big Fat Greek Wedding?? THERE IS A NEW ACTION FILM OUT THIS WEEK CHICAGO GETS DESTROYED IN AGAIN..LOL

I think the FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD GAVE THE BEST STATISTICAL ASSESMENT OF THE 2 CITIES? I SUGGEST SOME GO BACK AND READ IT????

Last edited by steeps; 01-14-2015 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 03:01 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times
Quote:
What's wrong with movies?
I just have to say - you basically stated that SF has not contributed anything to culture/pop culture. Then questioned what popular movies are based on the city, what bands, etc.

I gave you a list of lots of truly great movies based IN a real San Francisco (with the exception of Star Trek) and mostly ABOUT San Francisco and life therein. In music, I gave you a large list of artists from all modern genres across all decades since the 60s. You responded with 2/3 of the new Batman movies (set in Gotham, played by Chicago...but only nerds would even know, and now rightfully the setting is returned to NYC), Tranformers, Divergent, IRobot, Eagle Eye, etc. All of these movies use Chicago as a sci-fi big city backdrop, but none make it clear that the settings are actually Chicago and the movies themselves don't focus on "life in Chicago". So that's not really a contribution to pop culture now is it?

Anyway, moving on....just thought your level of response and what you consider to be Chicago's pop culture defining moments was really telling. I would have responded with Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Airport, Adventures in Babysitting, The Fugitive, Home Alone, Vacation, Risky Business, Wicker Park, Chicago, Some Like it Hot, etc. When I think of Chicago, it epitomizes the Midwest. And nothing better epitomizes the Midwest in movies to me than those 80s/90s comedies - Ferris Bueller, Risky Business, Tommy Boy/Chris Farley in general, Vacation, Airport, etc etc.

Just looking at a list on Wiki, it's not quite as large/notable as a list of movies set in SF, however.

Category:Films set in Chicago, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Category:Films set in San Francisco, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
True...moving on.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:04 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
Pacific Rim was not filmed in SF...it was mentioned in the movie however, but if you want to go by cities mentioned in movies then you know Chicago easily dominates in that regard.

Hard to beat? Not quite. Old list not really pertaining to the past 10 years? Definitely! Aside from the top list of movies you recommended, what major blockbusters came out of there?

My point was that Chicago's pop-culture is greater than San Francisco's.

I-Robot

Divergent

Eagle Eye

These are merely filmed in Chicago. They are set in fictional places in some alternate universe. I don't see ANYTHING "Chicago" about the Dark Knight. Sorry.

I think a movie that is SET in a particular city, even if it is filmed somewhere else is more meaningful to me, than a movie that is FILMED somewhere but set somewhere fictitious.

(Movies filmed in Toronto but set in Chicago such as Blues Brothers 2000 (which was a flop I know) or Big Fat Greek wedding) are more "Chicago" to me than the Dark Knight.

The only time that a real world place gets my attention because a movie was filmed there, but set in a fictitious universe is when that place otherwise gets NO other attention. (IE: Lord of the Rings/Hobbit filmed in New Zealand. Poor kiwis, everyone forgets they even exist until Lord of the Rings).

Old 01-14-2015, 03:12 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post

In terms of culture, SF, along with NYC, gave the US the Beatniks, and then the hippies followed. SF was also big for music in the 80s, and has played a large role as a place where different styles of both punk and electronic music have unfolded there.

Some musicians from the area:

Bonnie Raitt
E-40 (rap)
Grateful Dead
Huey Lewis and the News (80s)
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Journey (70s/80s)
Mac Dre
Operation Ivy (80s ska punk)
Papa Roach (90s rock)
Santana
Steve Miller Band (70s)
Third Eye Blind
Train
AFI
Counting Crows
Eddie Money (80s)
Green Day
Joe Satriani
MC Hammer
Machine Head
Metallica
NOFX
Too Short
Bassnectar
Pretty Lights
Doobie Brothers
Sammy Hagar
Smash Mouth
Trapt

List of bands from the San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being really liberal with the last few years there huh....

Old 01-14-2015, 03:13 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
These are merely filmed in Chicago. They are set in fictional places in some alternate universe. I don't see ANYTHING "Chicago" about the Dark Knight. Sorry.

I think a movie that is SET in a particular city, even if it is filmed somewhere else is more meaningful to me, than a movie that is FILMED somewhere but set somewhere fictitious.

(Movies filmed in Toronto but set in Chicago such as Blues Brothers 2000 (which was a flop I know) or Big Fat Greek wedding) are more "Chicago" to me than the Dark Knight.

The only time that a real world place gets my attention because a movie was filmed there, but set in a fictitious universe is when that place otherwise gets NO other attention. (IE: Lord of the Rings/Hobbit filmed in New Zealand. Poor kiwis, everyone forgets they even exist until Lord of the Rings).
OMG... IF DOWNTOWN CHICAGO IS VERY VISIBLY SHOWN IN THESE MOVIES AND MENTIONED? IF CHICAGO'S DOWNTOWN GETS DESTROYED... AGAIN AND AGAIN....YOUNG PEOPLE IN THE WORLD DO REALIZE IT IS CHICAGO?? THEREFORE INFLUENCE NEVERTHELESS OF CHICAGO??? Apparently my other post to you was a meh? I still do not get your NEED TO LESSEN CHICAGO??? WHEN OTHERS DEFEND IT AS NOT EVEN LOCALS?? YOU A FORMER HOMIE DISSING IT YET?

I figured I would add to the previous post here.. THOUGH MANY CONVERGED IN SF IN YHE 60s TO GIVE SO MUCH ALONG WITH MO-TOWN AND THE BRITISH INVASION AND LA SURFER MUSIC?? MOST ON THE LIST I DO NOT THINK WERE LOCLS TO SF ... BUT CONVERGED THERE... WITH DETROIT AND MO-TOWN AND LA SURFER MUSIC??? THEY WERE MOSTLY LOCALS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City