U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My preference aligns with?
Chicago's Italian Beef 29 44.62%
San Francisco's Mission Burrito 36 55.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:43 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,328,149 times

Advertisements

No one will ever know with certainty where the burrito was invented, and author Caille Millner uses the classic wiggly answer all food historians (including myself) trots out: The burrito is a product of the U.S.-Mexico borderlands.
Four Big Facts The Daily Got Wrong In Its History of the Burrito | OC Weekly

If you know anything above the author, Gustavo Arrellano, the above is properly interpreted to read: “the Burrito was invented in the US.” But by Chicanos using traditional Mexican ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,520,173 times
I've spent tons of time all over mid and south / south eastern Mexico, as in half of every year since 2005 - for work, not pleasure. If burritos originated from there then they definitely didn't uphold its tradition / history.

And I've been all around northern Mexico but just on day trips / long weekends just because of its proximity to me. I think the burritos popularity there (I don't think it is that popular even there though, but I have at least seen them there) can be attributed to our side of the border instead of theirs.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's like fish tacos supposedly developed in Northern Baja but they might as well just be from San Diego as this point.
The locals from San Felipe unloading their tuna scraps on drunken gringos. Truly a team effort.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I've spent tons of time all over mid and south / south eastern Mexico, as in half of every year since 2005 - for work, not pleasure. If burritos originated from there then they definitely didn't uphold its tradition / history.

And I've been all around northern Mexico on day trips / long weekends just because of its proximity to me. I think the burritos popularity there (I don't think it is that popular even there though, but I have at least seen them there) can be attributed to us instead of them.
Gird yourself. You are sure to alienate as many dogmatic Americans as Mexicans with this heresy.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,122,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post

And I've been all around northern Mexico but just on day trips / long weekends just because of its proximity to me. I think the burritos popularity there (I don't think it is that popular even there though, but I have at least seen them there) can be attributed to our side of the border instead of theirs.
Yeah, I can't remember "tacos de haraina" ever being a popular option when I travelled south from Mexico City(or north). I think I saw "hamburguesas" at stands being sold more times than I ever saw a burrito...

Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,212,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Correct - and I think actually that the Gyro is a better comparison to be honest - though the Gyro is more authentic than a burrito is, but the way in which they grew in both areas is similar.
The gyros most often found here -- those where long ribbons are cut from a pre-fab meat cylinder -- are about as authentic as mission burritos. At least the Italian Beef sandwich makes no claim to have its roots in Italy, despite its name.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 AM

1,325 posts, read 1,282,104 times
I prefer the Burritos in the Mission and in South San Francisco over Redwood City.

My favorite taqueria's are:

El Farolito (not to be confused with El Faro which sucks BTW) with a few locations in San Francisco and one location in South San Francisco

Taqueria Guadalajara on the corner of Mission St. and Onondaga St. in San Francisco. The best nachos and their burritos are quite good.

Late night after clubbing was Taco Loco on Mission and 30th Sts.

El Grullense in Redwood City make great tacos but their burritos are not that good

Chipotle is a complete joke and worse than El Grullense for burritos. It's a chain and not on the level of traditional taqueria's.

Last edited by Fastphilly; 04-15-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,120,121 times
We could also do a tri-tip sandwich (regional Californian, not specific to just SF, I know) vs. Italian Beef, if that would make a better comparison. I'd vote tri-tip.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:58 AM

14,326 posts, read 18,075,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The gyros most often found here -- those where long ribbons are cut from a pre-fab meat cylinder -- are about as authentic as mission burritos. At least the Italian Beef sandwich makes no claim to have its roots in Italy, despite its name.
Gyros are derived from Doner Kebab in Turkey, which has existed for a few hundred years there and is everywhere there. Schwarma is also pretty much derived from this. If you're in Greece, you can find gyros with tzatziki, tomato, onion, and potato. The American version is not that far off from what you'd find in a place like Athens, except other meats like chicken are used more in Greece while Lamb is more used here, though you can certainly get that in Greece too on your gyro.

Not all use tzatziki though and some put some other fillings in like eggplant that you don't find much in the US. The stuff you find in the US is the basic version of what you'd find in Greece, but using on a different default meat on average, but you could easily get the US version in Greece if you wanted to.

I don't know how you can get off by saying what you just said - you can actually find this in most areas of Greece.

Here's a link for explaining them in Thessaloniki:
Gyros in Thessaloniki - Tourist Guide Thessaloniki Night Life, History, Tavernas etc - Thessaloniki Info Guide | Tourist Guide Thessaloniki Night Life, History, Tavernas etc - Thessaloniki Info Guide

-- Mission Burrito, derived from something in Mexico, changed over time and "Americanized". Invented in San Francisco and popular in America
-- Gyro, derived from something in Greece/Turkey, changed over time and "Americanized" a little bit. Brought to America first by way of Chicago and fairly popular in some parts of America

Pretty much the same concept and IMO it's a better comparison than an Italian Beef is especially because gyros are more popular outside of Chicago than Italian Beef is

Last edited by marothisu; 04-15-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 AM

11,834 posts, read 9,929,982 times
I voted Mission Burrito-Mexican food (even if burritos aren't originally) is definitely one of my top 3 favorite foods.

It would be interesting to compare the Mexican food between the two cities as I know both have very significant populations. I would probably say SF though.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-15-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or