U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best non-tech hub cities for startups
Atlanta 7 26.92%
Dallas 2 7.69%
New Orleans 2 7.69%
Houston 3 11.54%
Miami 0 0%
Philadelphia 7 26.92%
Denver 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:23 PM

14,313 posts, read 17,996,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I pretty well versed in SOA architecture, and it has become something of my specialty.
You should be learning REST architecture. SOA will continue to be phased out as time goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:35 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,855,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You should be learning REST architecture. SOA will continue to be phased out as time goes on.
You mean SOAP not SOA. SOA is an achitectural model. REST is one type of SOA model, SOAP is another type. I hear this all of the time, and the reality is that SOA and SOAP get confused all of the time. With that said, I have worked quite a bit with REST in the last couple of years, and even dealt with a SOAP -> REST migration project. The issue with SOA is that it's MAINLY for large scale, to mid scale businesses. It's really not a great small business solution, which is unfortunate. I do think if I go this route, it would be preferable to be in a market where there are a lot of mid sized businesses that would want to go towards a more integrated solution like SOA.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:48 PM

14,313 posts, read 17,996,241 times
^ You're right. For some reason I read that as SOAP instead of SOA. Not sure I would say that it's not great for small type of stuff. It depends on what you're doing, and RoR has made all of the set-up time a lot quicker for smaller projects.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 AM

2,100 posts, read 2,768,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Surprised LA is not on the list. Silicon Beach is a real thing, an increasingly big part of our local economy. SpaceX, Snapchat, NastyGal, HauteLook, Ouya, SpinMedia, NationBuilder...there are a ton of successful LA based startups now. The big boys like Google, Yahoo, and EA also have a huge presence here and employ tens of thousands of Angelenos.

You can still make more money up north, but it evens out because our cost of living is much lower than in the Bay Area.

represent.la - map of the Los Angeles startup community
I work in "Silicon Beach" and I agree -- it's a real bright spot to our local economy. It gets overshadowed by the entertainment industry which has taken a beating in LA over the last 5-10 years because of constant outsourcing of jobs to other cities. And unfortunately for those in the entertainment industry, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Although apparently the health care industry in LA is also doing well -- per the job report I hear on KEARTH every morning.

They call it "Silicon Beach" for a reason. All these tech companies are out in the Westside of LA between Santa Monica and El Segundo. I feel it would get a lot more publicity if the companies were centered in DTLA as the city is really trying hard to get downtown to thrive.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,387,452 times
N3RD Street in Philadelphia:
N3rd Street in Philadelphia becoming official - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 AM

14,008 posts, read 22,017,852 times
LA and Austin.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM

21,045 posts, read 33,049,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Here is an interesting clip on Atlanta's high tech community.
Atlanta becoming Southeast "Silicon Valley" | 11alive.com
The presence of Georgia Tech gives Atlanta an obvious boost as well.

Startup Exchange - Georgia Tech's Entrepreneurial Movement

VentureLab — We create great startups at Georgia Tech using evidence based entrepreneurship

Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM

855 posts, read 998,820 times
St. Louis: A Model For Aspiring Tech Hubs - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or