U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best non-tech hub cities for startups
Atlanta 7 26.92%
Dallas 2 7.69%
New Orleans 2 7.69%
Houston 3 11.54%
Miami 0 0%
Philadelphia 7 26.92%
Denver 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:49 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,857,198 times

Advertisements

=
I work in the tech field, and have been in the industry for 15 years now. For the most part, I have been a contractor, which fortunately/unfortunately has landed me at many different types of companies. However I have felt in the last few years that I wanted to go out on my own, either via independent consulting, or doing my own startup.

I really have no interest in Silicon Valley or the Bay Area. They're mainly funded by VCs and want you to get big fast. I prefer to be more gradual with my business model. So I wanted to know what places still are in need of more tech startups, are ok with a slower approach, and are big enough to generate the business I would want. Again, this is more of a 5 years down the line thing, than a right now thing.

I would prefer business friendly cities for obvious reasons, that are more conducive with small business development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 PM

32,883 posts, read 22,839,556 times
Seattle, maybe?

Old 04-12-2014, 08:56 PM

5,380 posts, read 7,702,405 times
Seattle or SF(San Jose really)

Old 04-12-2014, 09:03 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,857,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Seattle or SF(San Jose really)

Read the title.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 PM

14,313 posts, read 18,002,286 times
Outside of those areas I'd vote for LA and Chicago. DC as well, I think. Chicago's startup community is growing big time (Chicago's technology sector: Start-up city | The Economist) and LA's had one for a little longer, and video games are kind of big there too and have been for awhile.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,140,456 times
Next tier

Chicago (wasn't on the poll)
Philadelphia
Austin (wasn't on the poll)
San Diego (wasn't on the poll)
Los Angeles (wasn't on the poll)
Denver

3rd Tier

Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Minneapolis
Raleigh-Durham

4th Tier

Dallas
Miami

Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,233,084 times
Surprised LA is not on the list. Silicon Beach is a real thing, an increasingly big part of our local economy. SpaceX, Snapchat, NastyGal, HauteLook, Ouya, SpinMedia, NationBuilder...there are a ton of successful LA based startups now. The big boys like Google, Yahoo, and EA also have a huge presence here and employ tens of thousands of Angelenos.

You can still make more money up north, but it evens out because our cost of living is much lower than in the Bay Area.

represent.la - map of the Los Angeles startup community

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 04-12-2014 at 09:42 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 09:40 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,233,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Outside of those areas I'd vote for LA and Chicago. DC as well, I think. Chicago's startup community is growing big time (Chicago's technology sector: Start-up city | The Economist) and LA's had one for a little longer, and video games are kind of big there too and have been for awhile.
Yup- With 96 game dev studios, LA has the 2nd highest number in North America after San Francisco's 121.

Seattle, Austin, and Toronto round out the top 5 with 67, 65, and 41 studios, respectively.

Top North American Cities for Game Development | GameJobHunter Blog

Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,140,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Surprised LA is not on the list. Silicon Beach is a real thing, an increasingly big part of our local economy. SpaceX, Snapchat, NastyGal, HauteLook, Ouya, SpinMedia, NationBuilder...there are a ton of successful LA based startups now. The big boys like Google, Yahoo, and EA also have a huge presence here and employ tens of thousands of Angelenos.

You can still make more money up north, but it evens out because our cost of living is much lower than in the Bay Area.

represent.la - map of the Los Angeles startup community
The Santa Monica Media District, Playa Vista, and West LA are major major major hubs of innovation, startups, general creativity, and like you said, game development.

I do have to make a bold claim that the OP has no clue what the tech/innovation economies in this country are since some of the other obvious choices never even made his list and there is a difference between startups and tech hub. Some cities are particularly important to tech/life sciences/innovative companies further down the life cycle rather than at the start-up stage.

This is a very interesting article on biotech in particular (and really goes into detail):
The top 15 cities for biotech venture funding - FierceBiotech

Seeing this list, I have to for not bringing up the fact that DC wasn't listed either...

Then this list is for VC funding overall and kinda' confirms my initial tiered list:

America's Leading Metros for Venture Capital - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Hint: Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, and Miami aren't even on the radar of receiving VC funding, the most clear-cut measure/proxy for startup environment.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,511,940 times
I was gonna ask how you left out DC but then I read your next post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or