U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:10 AM

3,844 posts, read 7,812,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
Mediocre investment.

Cleveland is a class D city so I guess it's ok.
Burn...

The district investment has seen $100 million+ in the past 2-3 years within a 3 block area. This piece the OP posted about is the externel beautification to the square itself.

Take a visit to Playhouse Square and tell me if you still consider it subpar.

Last edited by costello_musicman; 04-18-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Article today on the success of saving, restoring, and growing of a 1920's theater district:

The miracle of Cleveland's Playhouse Square: How a performing arts complex helped save downtown and launch a national revival of historic theaters | cleveland.com

Old 04-25-2014, 01:09 PM

548 posts, read 609,202 times
I am so excited about the improvements. I'll be in Cleveland next Friday for the lighting ceremony. It should be a fun time.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM

548 posts, read 609,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
Mediocre investment.

Cleveland is a class D city so I guess it's ok.
LMAO! Cleveland (all three Big C's in Ohio actually) has been kicking A$$ and making a huge comeback right now. You strike me as someone who needs to be told what to like. You're missing out on the party.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I am so excited about the improvements. I'll be in Cleveland next Friday for the lighting ceremony. It should be a fun time.
Awesome! I hope you enjoy your trip up north -- I bet it'll be a great evening:

Home - Dazzle The District

Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 PM

249 posts, read 308,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
LMAO! Cleveland (all three Big C's in Ohio actually) has been kicking A$$ and making a huge comeback right now. You strike me as someone who needs to be told what to like. You're missing out on the party.
Every single BosWash city kicks Cleveland's @55.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 PM

3,142 posts, read 3,631,449 times
It opened last night. The lighting ceremony was amazing, with performances from Hot Chelle Rae, Dee Roscioli--the person who plays Elphaba in Wicked, the famous Shaw High School marching band, and others followed by an incredible fireworks show. It's officially the world's largest outdoor chandelier. Way to go Cleveland! $16 million well spent.

Chandelierious! Dazzle the district lights the way to new era for Playhouse Square | cleveland.com

Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,702,611 times
Cleverfield, did you go last night? I was present for this absolutely awe inspiring and unforgettable event ... It was so completely "off the charts" with the music, the tap dancers, the flappers ... the fireworks, speeches and pyrotechnics displays, I was overcome with raw emotion ... Tears of joy and PRIDE streamed down my face! I will never forget last night's BIG EVENT for as long as I live ... Oh, the chandelier has exceeded even my loftiest of expectations, too!

Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM

3,142 posts, read 3,631,449 times
I did go last night, and it was spectacular, aside from the part where I was literally sandwhiched between 8 people

Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 PM

282 posts, read 286,396 times
Very impressive

I've always liked the so- called rust belt cities and 'the Cleve ' is getting back to being oiled and shiny like the tin man in the wizard of oz !!

I hear there's lots of artists moving in - be careful , you guys might be turning into little N.Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Although this beautification process is a very visable gamechanger for the area, this is actually towards the end of a long list of improvements the district is seeing:

Hanna Broadway Theater Renovations(Circa 1921) (PlayhouseSquare/Downtown)-- $20 million COMPLETED 2013 Hanna Theater at Cleveland'sPlayhouseSquare
Hanna Annex Apartments conversion (Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $23 million COMPLETED 2013 PlayhouseSquare to selldowntownCleveland office building to the K&D Group for apartments |cleveland.com
Allen Broadway Theater Renovations and Expansions (Circa 1921)(Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $30 million COMPLETED 2012
Work begins on renovations toAllenTheatre at PlayhouseSquare | cleveland.com

Middough/Dodge Building Renovations(Playhouse Square/Downtown)(Circa 1913) -- $20 million COMPLETED 2012 http://www.csuohio.edu/offices/archi...ugh/index.html
E.14th/Playhouse Square streetscape (Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $3 million COMPLETED 2011 http://www.playhousesquare.org/defau...etail&objId=62

Also under construction within a one block radius:

8-story, 217 unit apartment: Clayco student-housing project on Euclid Avenue gets OK from Cleveland's planning commission | cleveland.com
Hofbrauhaus Playhouse Square -- $9 million
Hofbräuhaus brewery, restaurant planned for PlayhouseSquare land wrapping the Hermit Club | cleveland.com

The New York Times recently focused on the area: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/re...ring.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or