U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 AM

882 posts, read 922,688 times

Advertisements

I have seen countless threads, specifically NYC vs LA and LA/NY vs SF Bay. If I recall correctly, those threads were the first threads I saw on CD back in '09 which inspired me to make my account last year.

I used to live in Santa Monica and temporarily in Orange County between 2007-2010, however that was my childhood, and I never really experienced everything it had to offer as I was homeschooled. I have been living in Manhattan independently for the past 2 years. I am 18 now.

I am looking at buying a home, however recently I have been looking through properties with my realtor. So far he has forwarded me 50+ properties and I haven't seen any that I am serious about buying, considered visiting 2 or 3, but that is really it.

I am single, I don't drive (I actually love driving, however the idea of getting a license, paying large insurance costs and other restrictions put me off ever going through with that idea), I don't intend on driving for a while (at least 5 years), I am not attending college, I work from home and going to be working less hours and cutting down in the next 48 months, from 100+ hours to 2-5 hours per week. I am independently wealthy from Bitcoin and looking to purchase a home.

The areas of DTLA and SM that I have been looking at don't require you to have a car for most or all tasks.

Any advice would be appreciated. If you have any questions, just ask, but please no stupid questions or trollish statements.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Anyone?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:48 PM

6,268 posts, read 15,508,321 times
Your first post is a list of sentences. What is your question?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:56 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,595,946 times
OP, you have to realize that the people on this forum are simple-mind and don't read long paragraphs. It hurts their tiny brains.

Here's a summarized version of the OP:

"Hi. I'm an 18-year old entrepreneur who earned a lot of money by doing business with bitcoin. I'm looking to buy a house in either Santa Monca or Manhattan. Can anyone give their general opinions or recommendations on either place? I work from home, don't plan on owning a car, and don't go to college."

Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
OP, you have to realize that the people on this forum are simple-mind and don't read long paragraphs. It hurts their tiny brains.

Here's a summarized version of the OP:

"Hi. I'm an 18-year old entrepreneur who earned a lot of money by doing business with bitcoin. I'm looking to buy a house in either Santa Monca or Manhattan. Can anyone give their general opinions or recommendations on either place? I work from home, don't plan on owning a car, and don't go to college."
Pretty much this.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,513,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I have seen countless threads, specifically NYC vs LA and LA/NY vs SF Bay. If I recall correctly, those threads were the first threads I saw on CD back in '09 which inspired me to make my account last year.

I used to live in Santa Monica and temporarily in Orange County between 2007-2010, however that was my childhood, and I never really experienced everything it had to offer as I was homeschooled. I have been living in Manhattan independently for the past 2 years. I am 18 now.
I don't understand what being homeschooled has to do with you not getting to experience the city you lived in.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 AM

It means you don't have much of a network of friends in that area.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,906,926 times
Santa Monica and Manhattan are different enough to the point where it should be easy enough to chose one or the other depending on what you're looking for in a place.

I will have you know that Santa Monica is one of my favorite places in the US and, IMO, is a much nicer place to live than Manhattan, especially if you're not particularly fond of cold/damp weather, rude/pushy people, and urbanity in general.

Although very dense and urban, Santa Monica isn't really urban in the traditional sense, at least not in the same sense as Manhattan, which would make it an easier place to live, at least for me.

Last month when I was in LA for business, I had a meeting at 10:00am at Two California Plaza in DTLA. I arrived at my meeting quite early--in LA, you always end up arriving really early or really late because you either over or underestimate traffic--and I walked a couple of blocks to see the newly-constructed Walt Disney Concert Hall, as I hadn't yet seen it in person. Well, I'll have you know that since my last visit to DTLA (more than a few years ago at that point), I had really forgotten what a ghost town DTLA actually is! I would never, in a million years, want to live in DTLA, even if I worked there--and that's saying a lot for LA because in LA, more so than just about any other place in the nation, you really should live very close by to where you work.

That said, Santa Monica is a much better choice than DTLA, IMO.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
DTLA ghost town? I'm sure it's not manhattan standards but ghost town? Grand ave where the concert hall is is not in a heavy pedestrianzed place, but the Eastside of DTLA (Sprint St.,Main st., Broadway, Little Toykyo & the Arts District) is most definitely NOT a ghost town.

Anyways.... Santa Monica is nicer but there is more interesting nightlife in DTLA, although Santa Monica is cool too. The Expo line should be done by next year so you can choose either location and get to both by rail.

Honestly I would try to get a place in the Arts District or Little Tokyo in DTLA, then you will have all the best bars,restaraunts & the general scene is more down to earth than the Westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or