U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one has the higher global portfolio?
Toronto 7 10.94%
Washington DC 52 81.25%
Impossible to tell, they seem about tied honestly 5 7.81%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 PM

317 posts, read 270,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Watching or Reading American media.. I say that because T.O is not in the U.S and this VS is D.C against T.O

No I get plenty of international news channels and read from all sources from all over the world online. DC just makes the news way more often. Because the fact is it happens to affect the world a lot more. And no I'm not being biased because I find Toronto to be a more desirable place.

Last edited by cityguy7; 04-20-2014 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 10:24 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,028,909 times
I would say DC has more global influence than Toronto.

Toronto serves as the economic hub of Canada. Toronto's biggest influence is largely over Canada and over foreign entities looking to do business in Canada. As a %, Toronto's economic power in Canada is bigger than NYC % over the US. Toronto has more immigration and population as a city than DC but that doesn't mean more global clout, this is more about what companies/institutions a city houses that have global influence. Toronto houses some big profitable banks but they don't run the banking industry globally thus limiting their international clout.

DC is a global political centre so what happens in DC shapes the world in many ways. Aside from the many globally powerful/influencial institutions (that have already been mentioned) that it houses, nearly every country has an embassy and major presence there. The world's most powerful leaders reside or do business there. I think arguably being the global centre of political power is more significant than the economic HQ of Canada aspect of Toronto. Also economically, I would say Toronto is a much better diversified economy but metro-to-metro, DC has a bigger economy GDP wise from everything I read as well. It also has a good chunk of the wealthiest zip codes in the US so there's influence to be had in having some of world's richest people too. Neither city has that much global cultural clout so it's more about politics and economics here.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:04 PM

719 posts, read 793,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The United Nations has a lot of power, yes it's officially not a form of government but the delegation there is pretty immense and literally affects world politics. Washington is more national scale with some global strings too, to be sure, but the delegations held in New York at the United Nations are influential in that political leaders interact with one another and bump ideas off one another. It's also where they form alliances as groups and discuss sanctions. Mind you, these are very relevant things, especially in today's time.

Washington could very well make a case for the spot opening after New York, I would perhaps sign on to that position, but first? I don't believe so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I hope you are not suggesting that the political power and influence of the United Nations is greater than that of the White House/US Capitol.
Chile, you can't tell THAT one NOTHING. He knows it all; leave it alone ColdAilment before it even gets started.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:05 PM

6,484 posts, read 7,745,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Chile, you can't tell THAT one NOTHING. He knows it all; leave it alone ColdAilment before it even gets started.
Washington is my city. I live in the Washington metropolitan area.

It's not awkward at all as to why I'm in here talking about my home city.

Question is, why are you so in love with Washington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or