U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area would you rather live in?
Omaha 25 67.57%
New Haven 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,722,085 times

Advertisements

Also, seeing as how nep was referring to metro areas, I'm also going to throw this up just to show how perceptions can sometimes cloud reality:

Murder rates
Omaha metro - 4.9
New Haven metro - 4.1

FBI — Table 6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM

52,619 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
New Haven is not all that peachy from what I've seen. I visited it twice in the past several years and its.. lets just say spotty. The student campus is probably cool, but thats where it ends, really.. It has pretty high levels of crime and higher than national average unemployment. I doubt that people who attend Yale stick around much after they graduate.

Overall it is one of those cities that was hit pretty hard with the last recession and is still struggling to recover (think Buffalo, Syracuse and some Ohio towns as its close "relatives").

Omaha on the other hand, seems like a very nice place. I have heard nothing but the good things about it.
Actually, the first 2 relatives didn't get hit too hard from the last recession and the second city actually still has its share of solid to very neighborhoods.

As for the two cities at hand, while I haven't been there, I think Omaha's metrics may surprise some people and is the main city for its state and for miles.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 PM

275 posts, read 297,314 times
New Haven really isn't that dangerous of a city to live in if you live downtown or in the suburbs.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:23 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,906,247 times
People in Nebraska are more pleasant easier to live around than people in Connecticut, especially in the New Haven area.

After living in places all over the spectrum with regard to people quality, I've learned that generally pleasant people correlates to a generally pleasant life.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:47 PM

11,027 posts, read 13,362,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
People in Nebraska are more pleasant easier to live around than people in Connecticut, especially in the New Haven area.

After living in places all over the spectrum with regard to people quality, I've learned that generally pleasant people correlates to a generally pleasant life.
That's probably an accurate statement. Right now where I live (Norwalk, CT) is one of the epitome locations of unpleasant people to live around and it sucks. Drivers beep at me a few times a month.

I thought about moving from Fairfield County to New Haven County and getting a new job there, but I wonder just how much of an improvement it would really make. After all, New Haven County is still technically part of the NYC CSA.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
New Haven kinda sucks. Omaha is a nice town. Nebraska kinda sucks outside of Omaha. Having Boston and NYC down the road from New Haven is nice.

Hmm, if you don't get into NYC, Boston and other east coast attractions etc, then Omaha by a long shot. But if you want access to more than a midsized, yet very livable midwestern city, than go with New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City