U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nicest Riverfront
Boston, MA 9 7.09%
Cincinnati, OH 6 4.72%
Jacksonville, FL 4 3.15%
Kansas City, MO 1 0.79%
Louisville, KY 1 0.79%
Memphis, TN 12 9.45%
Minneapolis, MN 9 7.09%
New Orleans, LA 2 1.57%
Minneapolis, MN 0 0%
New York City, NY 7 5.51%
Omaha, NE 5 3.94%
Philadelphia, PA 5 3.94%
Pittsburgh, PA 18 14.17%
Portland, OR 8 6.30%
Sacramento, CA 1 0.79%
Saint Louis, MO 5 3.94%
Washington, DC 6 4.72%
Other 28 22.05%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,041,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hanging out along the Charles River in Boston is always a pleasant experience.
Charles "River" in Boston is a lake formed by the damming up a misnamed creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM

9,588 posts, read 10,923,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
Why is DC on this list?

Maybe in 10 years but it sucks right now.

Agreed! D.C. shouldn't be an option for this thread currently. Now, in about 10 years, D.C. will probably have the best riverfront in the entire country.

Anacostia Waterfront - YouTube

Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM

1,575 posts, read 2,739,833 times
For mY favorite urban riverfronts, I tend to rank rivers that can be crossed so you can check out both banks higher than very wide riverfronts, such as St. Louis, New Orleans, Montreal, or Philadlphia's Delaware River. Anyway, here are my favorites:

* Minneapolis: the city has a series of scenic parkways along the Mississippi River, coming into downtown making it very popular for biking, rollarblading or just driving. Within the downtown area, it's easy to do a circuit by crossing the Historic Stone Arch Bridge(which is for bikes and pedestrians only and offers excellent views of St. Anthony Falls) over to the east bank, walk along Main Street to one of the other bridges back to downtown. Although Minneapolis lacks as much history as eastern or lower Midwest cities, the riverfront still contains a significant amount of former mill buildings and renovated brick&timber lofts.

*Austin: I made my first visit there last November, and it reminded me quite a bit of Minneapolis' riverfront, including conversion of an old RR bridge into a pedestrian/biking bridge. There's also a cool park on the south side (Barton Springs) and lots of high density housing, plus the bats under Congress Avenue(didn't see those, as it was evidently too late in the season).

*Pittsburgh: it still has a ways to go for connectivity, but thats partially made up by the awesome bridges over the Alleghany, providing a great connection to PNC Park and the north shore area. Views are spectacular from both rivers, and easy access to the incline elevators only makes the experience all the more enjoyable.

* Chicago and Milwaukee: both downtown riverfronts are very urban, cutting right through the heart of the business core, providing interesting walks and great cityviews.

*Columbus: although the Scioto River is hardly a major river, columbus has recently created the Scioto Mile, a beautifully landscaped riverfront extending through dowtown with nice pavers, brick walkways, swings, statues and flowers. It connects Bicentennial Park on the south up to the Arena District on the north.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,542,728 times
I'm suprised that noone from Pittsburgh or Washington DC mentioned that you can Bike from Downtown Pittsburgh to Washintington DC using the river valley trails. From Pittsburgh's Monongahela river to the Anacostia River. If that's not connectivity, I dont know what is.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 PM

29,625 posts, read 65,672,994 times
Pittsburgh. Sorry to be a homer.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 PM

20,926 posts, read 32,919,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh. Sorry to be a homer.
It's OK. It deserves props.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 AM

1,872 posts, read 1,239,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I'm suprised that noone from Pittsburgh or Washington DC mentioned that you can Bike from Downtown Pittsburgh to Washintington DC using the river valley trails. From Pittsburgh's Monongahela river to the Anacostia River. If that's not connectivity, I dont know what is.
Has anyone here done this bike trip? It sounds great but I'm wondering about availability of hotels/ camping areas along the way. Also I'm guessing it's advisable to bike one way and Amtrak for the return trip.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM

548 posts, read 608,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

But I didn't even think to include Chicago. Sure, the Chicago river is pretty at night downtown, but it's otherwise an industrial wasteland. Besides the architectural tour you can't do anything in it. It doesn't host any festivals. And the Chicago Riverwalk is only a half mile long.
I have to agree with Dawn. Chicago's Riverwalk is too short, overbuilt where it is built, and doesn't really have any spaces to activate other than that kinda cool water jet thing. I'll even take Milwaukee over Chicago on this one, despite Milwaukee's being modeled after Chicago's. At least Milwaukee extended it beyond downtown and connected it to a system of hiking trails extending North and bicycling trails to the West and South along the Menomonee and Kinnickinnick Rivers. Chicago...it's nice where they've got it, but it's not all that.

My top choices are San Antonio, Providence, and Chattanooga.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 AM

2,178 posts, read 1,542,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Has anyone here done this bike trip? It sounds great but I'm wondering about availability of hotels/ camping areas along the way. Also I'm guessing it's advisable to bike one way and Amtrak for the return trip.
My coworkers did the trip two years ago. Since the path follows old rail lines, you pass through older towns along the way. There are brochures and maps with all the hotel information listed. They did do the return trip on Amtrak.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,937,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I have to agree with Dawn. Chicago's Riverwalk is too short, overbuilt where it is built, and doesn't really have any spaces to activate other than that kinda cool water jet thing. I'll even take Milwaukee over Chicago on this one, despite Milwaukee's being modeled after Chicago's. At least Milwaukee extended it beyond downtown and connected it to a system of hiking trails extending North and bicycling trails to the West and South along the Menomonee and Kinnickinnick Rivers. Chicago...it's nice where they've got it, but it's not all that.
Check back in 1-2 years - it will be at least double of what it is now for the River Walk with added business along it, more activity points, etc. There's also more to a river than being able to walk besides it and you can still kayak/boat/canoe in the Chicago River and people do it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City