Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer or feel is better?
Mid-Atlantic/New England 19 41.30%
Califronia/Nevada/Arizona 27 58.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 AM

43 posts, read 62,685 times

Advertisements

From what I have observed well over a quarter of the posts in this forum in city vs. city is some sort of an east coast vs west coast comparison, more particularly, Northeast vs California.

So I went looking to see if there is a thread specifically made for the two and found none. There was one that groups CA with Texas and FL, but that makes no sense as they are miles and miles apart. FL for example is about the same distance from NE as it is from CA I believe.

So I decided what the hell let's just create a thread, as it tends to be sort of like the "ultimate debate" of this forum, there might as well be a thread for it where it all goes instead of dozens of different variations of it where it goes off topic and turns into that.

I made the total area covered specific, as most people tend to include all the way down to the DC metro area in Virginia and sometimes more when they are thinking the Northeast. Places in Arizona and Nevada such as Las Vegas are also closely associated with California. Even though the latter ends up being a bigger in area, I thought it was necessary to include them for the sake of fairness.

I will of course leave a poll open. Because with all due respect a good amount of posts in this forum tends to be either just fanboyish or plain right idiotic. I wouldn't wanna be reading through all of them to see how people feel so I'm sure others wouldn't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 AM

43 posts, read 62,685 times
And my apologies for spelling Atlantic wrong in the title.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 PM

317 posts, read 377,859 times
I never understood why the census has still failed update all of the Mid-Atlantic as part of the Northeast by now. It's quite idiotic that there are still people out there that think places like DC-Baltimore actually "southern" because of it.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM

622 posts, read 948,678 times
I voted for Mid Atlantic/New England. Cape Cod, MA, Long Island, NY, Atlantic City, NJ, Ocean City, MD, and Virginia Beach, VA beaches are the best. I do like Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington better than San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. The west coast requires you to use a car all the time and their cities are dirty and full of ugly looking strip malls.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,815 times
You couldn't pick two places in America more different from one another. There's no objective way to "prove" one is better. It's personal preference. I'm from the Southwest and it's the only place that seems normal to me. I go to New England every summer to visit my wife's family and it seems like another country. I'm going to bet most people who don't live in either area will prefer the Northeast because it's more like most other parts of the country (Midwest, NW, SE) with trees, rain, snow, greenery, americana. The Southwest makes a lot of transplants desperately homesick because it's so different. Like the post above "requires you to use a car all the time and their cities are dirty and full of ugly looking strip malls." sounds like home.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 PM

474 posts, read 530,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I voted for Mid Atlantic/New England. Cape Cod, MA, Long Island, NY, Atlantic City, NJ, Ocean City, MD, and Virginia Beach, VA beaches are the best. I do like Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington better than San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. The west coast requires you to use a car all the time and their cities are dirty and full of ugly looking strip malls.
You just mentioned San Francisco, though, which is most definitely not full of "ugly looking strip malls". Let's just not get cities and suburbs mixed up. If anything, West Coast cities are cleaner and more manicured than their East Coast cousins- and, contrary to popular belief, you can certainly live in a few of California's cities (namely LA, SF, Oakland, Berkeley, and Seattle) without needing a car to get around. SF has BART and MUNI while LA's Metro, too, is impressive in itself. But I do agree that while beaches on the West Coast are arguably more scenic, cities back East have better conditions for swimming.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,186 times
I pick SW/California. I've been to SF, LA, and NYC; I enjoyed LA and SF more than NYC. The desert scenery is unique and very attractive. And SF and LA offer both autocentric and transit-centric lifestyles, so you can live the way you want (for a price). The NE/Mid-Atlantic winters are too cold for my preferences.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
their cities are dirty and full of ugly looking strip malls.
If you think West Coast cities are dirty, then I'm 1000% certain you've never had the privilege of living in and/or visiting any of the following cities:

1. New York, NY
2. Philadelphia, PA
3. Boston, MA
4. Providence, RI
5. Hartford, CT
6. New Haven, CT
7. Bridgeport, CT
8. Fall River, MA
9. New Bedford, MA
10. Worcester, MA
11. Springfield, MA
12. Albany, NY
13. Utica, NY
14. Syracuse, NY
15. Rochester, NY
16. Buffalo, NY
17. Scranton, PA
18. Pittsburgh, PA
19. Erie, PA
20. Baltimore, MD
21. Newark, NJ
22. Paterson, NJ
23. Trenton, NJ
24. Allentown, PA
25. Atlantic City, NJ
26. Wilmington, DE
27. Reading, PA

Well, you get the picture...

Old 04-24-2014, 12:14 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
I prefer the Northeast, but I'd have a hard time arguing that you don't have more variety (in terms of city types and landscape) between California, Nevada, and Arizona.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 PM

317 posts, read 377,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
If you think West Coast cities are dirty, then I'm 1000% certain you've never had the privilege of living in and/or visiting any of the following cities:

1. New York, NY
2. Philadelphia, PA
3. Boston, MA
4. Providence, RI
5. Hartford, CT
6. New Haven, CT
7. Bridgeport, CT
8. Fall River, MA
9. New Bedford, MA
10. Worcester, MA
11. Springfield, MA
12. Albany, NY
13. Utica, NY
14. Syracuse, NY
15. Rochester, NY
16. Buffalo, NY
17. Scranton, PA
18. Pittsburgh, PA
19. Erie, PA
20. Baltimore, MD
21. Newark, NJ
22. Paterson, NJ
23. Trenton, NJ
24. Allentown, PA
25. Atlantic City, NJ
26. Wilmington, DE
27. Reading, PA

Well, you get the picture...

My response to this was deleted, how surprising...

All I will say this time is that one has to be pretty thick to suggest even half those cities in that list is more dirty than the likes of the Inland Empire, San Francisco, Bakersfield, Stockton...

Well you get the picture. Nice to know you could locate northeast on a map and start to read off it's cities though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City