U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM

21,263 posts, read 20,865,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If you're Mormon and conservative, choose SLC. If not, choose Denver
Or if you're non-Mormon, choose SLC. Seriously, the cities are not much alike at all. Denver is quite a bit larger than Salt Lake City. There are a lot of factors to consider, but to reject SLC out of hand because of its 50% LDS population would be a huge mistake.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM

11,029 posts, read 13,366,845 times
I wouldn't move to either. I've been to Denver and wasn't impressed. It's too brown, cookie-cutter, cow-townish, isolated and hippie/marijuana feeling.

I've never been to SLC, but the whole Mormon/LDS thing kills it for me. Just go on Google Maps over the SLC area and search for "Latter Day Saints." NUMEROUS LDS churches and community centers pop up. Do you really want THAT much Mormonism in your everyday life? No.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 PM

5,373 posts, read 7,659,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I wouldn't move to either. I've been to Denver and wasn't impressed. It's too brown, cookie-cutter, cow-townish, isolated and hippie/marijuana feeling.

I've never been to SLC, but the whole Mormon/LDS thing kills it for me. Just go on Google Maps over the SLC area and search for "Latter Day Saints." NUMEROUS LDS churches and community centers pop up. Do you really want THAT much Mormonism in your everyday life? No.
Denver isn't brown, the outer suburbs and eastern plains are...That's not the city. What was cookie-cutter or cowtownish about it? Those are overplayed cards with Denver. Its not the 50s anymore. Doesn't seem like you know the city at all. Same with SLC. Who cares if it has a Mormon influence? No one is forcing anybody to become a part of it. That card is also way overplayed with SLC as well.

But enjoy your life in Norwalk, I guess.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,615,683 times
That whole cowtown thing only comes from people who have not been to the city since the 70's! So played out and outright false, but like metzer said, enjoy norwalk!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,841,134 times
I don't know.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 PM

489 posts, read 693,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

You should have stopped right there. You know nothing about it.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,239 times
ok here is my con/cons of both

SLC I'm worried about there being to much mormonism(no offense) and that I can't just walk into a bar and get a drink(not sure about this never been there) nightlife(clubs and stuff not really my thing) but I like dive or just regular bars where I can socialize and meet people

Denver the drive to the mountains I have heard that you can spend hours in traffic to get to the place where you want to go and i don't want to do that

Im not sure what has the best opportunity/experience for neurological or orthopedic physical therapy clinical rotation

thanks for your guys help so far

Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 AM

587 posts, read 617,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
No doubt that everyone on this forum will gush about how wonderful Denver is. If you like the city, nightlife, etc., then Denver would be OK.

Personally, though, I would prefer Salt Lake City. Skiing is literally within minutes of SLC (they have city bus service to a couple of the ski areas), there are Wilderness Areas which one can literally walk into from the city limits. Yes, it is possible to drink beer in SLC, but the LDS culture is certainly present in SLC, which frowns on alcohol use. The big downer of SLC is its very serious air pollution problems in winter--one of the worst places in the US. On a positive note, SLC's public transit system is much better than Denver's.

Both Denver and SLC are regional medical centers with a number of first-rate facilities. Albuquerque, NM also has some excellent medical facilities, is somewhat smaller and has plenty of recreation fairly close by. Cost of living would likely be less in Albuquerque than either SLC or Denver.
I disagree with this also. Many bus routes don't even run on Sundays. Those that do, run on heavily reduced schedules. Even Saturdays have a much reduced schedule.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM

370 posts, read 718,159 times
Having family in both Denver and SLC and spent alot of time in both here are my responses. Also factor in that I dont ski so that isnt important to me

SLC I'm worried about there being to much mormonism(no offense) and that I can't just walk into a bar and get a drink(not sure about this never been there) nightlife(clubs and stuff not really my thing) but I like dive or just regular bars where I can socialize and meet people

Yes, this is a factor. SLC feels very dominated by Mormons and while friendly, their lives are dominated by their family and religion. There is a large section of the population you wont be socializing with beyond casual chit chat.

Given they dominate SLC and mormons dont drink, you wont find alot of bars per capita or a big bar culture.

Park City (where my relatives live) is less so than SLC, but still feels very mormon.

Denver the drive to the mountains I have heard that you can spend hours in traffic to get to the place where you want to go and i don't want to do that

Never spent hours in traffic but Denver is bigger and more congested than Utah. I personally consider this a lesser "con" than being a non-mormon in Utah. Also Denver has more to do within its city limits than SLC and has a much better bar and micro brew scene.

I would personally select Denver over SLC, especlally if its just a temporary location. I dont care about skiing but my relatives have been complaining how bad the snow has been in utah the last 2 years..

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreravens7 View Post
ok here is my con/cons of both

Im not sure what has the best opportunity/experience for neurological or orthopedic physical therapy clinical rotation

thanks for your guys help so far

Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 AM

11,029 posts, read 13,366,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Denver isn't brown, the outer suburbs and eastern plains are...That's not the city. What was cookie-cutter or cowtownish about it? Those are overplayed cards with Denver. Its not the 50s anymore. Doesn't seem like you know the city at all. Same with SLC. Who cares if it has a Mormon influence? No one is forcing anybody to become a part of it. That card is also way overplayed with SLC as well.

But enjoy your life in Norwalk, I guess.
Coming from new England, yes, Denver appeared brownish to me. And I sensed a slight cowtown vibe. I saw women wearing cowboy boots and occasionally saw men wearing cowboy hats. That stuff never happens in new England. So yes, it is cow townish when compared to the BosWash regioon.

Traffic was terrible and the overall metro area felt a bit over gentrified. It was definitely different from new England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or