U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:27 PM

586 posts, read 617,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
He/she said MSA.

Either way, the numbers are wrong.

Denver - 2,697,476
SLC - 1,140,483

A difference of 1,556,993
Still not the two million claimed earlier. Also, Ogden was sliced off the Salt Lake MSA for some reason in the most recent census and made into its own MSA with about 620,000. Denver is larger, no doubt, but not by the margin some like to pretend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:48 PM

586 posts, read 617,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
In what way does slc win??? Cant think of ANY ways it is better than Denver! Maybe 15 minutes closer to skiing! Big deal! We have the far superior downtown, airport, amenities, sports, museums, suburbs, AeroSpace sector. You really cannot compete on any level! SLC is a decent enough city, just that Denver is a couple of notches above in any stat you throw out!
You just named one.

Salt Lake City is closer to ski resorts. I don't know how anyone can claim otherwise. These time estimates came from google maps. Google placed the marks for downtown and for each resort mentioned.

Salt Lake City to nearby resorts:

Canyons Ski Resort 32 minutes
Park City 37 minutes
Solitude 39 minutes
Snowbird 40 minutes
Alta 41 minutes
Deer Valley 42 minutes
Brighton 42 minutes
Snowbasin 50 minutes
Sundance 52 minutes

Denver to nearest resort:

Loveland Ski Resort 1 hr and 1 minute

Salt Lake has nine resorts closer than the one closest to Denver. I think that is a big deal. And they also average more snow. And city buses that can take you to some of these resorts. No dealing with traffic on I-70.

Denver is an amazing city. I've lived in both and would prefer to live in Denver. However, that doesn't mean Salt Lake doesn't, or can't, have an advantages. Salt Lake has light rail to the airport. Denver is still working on that.

Calm down on the exclamation marks!

Old 11-14-2014, 09:00 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Still not the two million claimed earlier.
That's why I said "Either way, the numbers are wrong"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Also, Ogden was sliced off the Salt Lake MSA for some reason in the most recent census and made into its own MSA with about 620,000.
I don't know or pretend to know the commuter patterns(A big determining factor in the definitions) of the area, so whether the CSA or MSA is a better definition for the SLC region, is not a debate I care about.

One poster said the metro(MSA) is 2,000,001 bigger. . .Those numbers are wrong.

Then another poster chimed in with (CSA) numbers. . .Which are wrong to compare with MSA numbers.

That is all

Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 PM

489 posts, read 693,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
In what way does slc win??? Cant think of ANY ways it is better than Denver! Maybe 15 minutes closer to skiing! Big deal! We have the far superior downtown, airport, amenities, sports, museums, suburbs, AeroSpace sector. You really cannot compete on any level! SLC is a decent enough city, just that Denver is a couple of notches above in any stat you throw out!
SLC area actually has some great museums. Not sure Denver is outright better in that category.

Denver has a bigger downtown, sure. Not necessarily "superior".

Old 11-16-2014, 06:57 PM

54 posts, read 61,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Salt Lake City has 8 within an hour, 3 within 30 minutes. Hiking trails within 15 minutes.
Alta
Brighton
Canyons Resort
Deer Valley (rated #1 ski resort in North America 3 or 4 years in a row)
Park city
Snowbird
Solitude
Sundance

The airport is on the far side (west of downtown SLC) and is still 10 miles closer to Snowbird than Echo Mountain is to downtown Denver.
You forgot Snowbasin, Wolf Mountain, and Powder Mountain. I've driven to all of those in less than an hour from SLC.

As for this entire thread, I do have to say that both cities are incredibly beautiful in the Spring, but January and February in Utah might have inversions. I do think SLC has the prettier Spring season in my opinion, though.

Also, the combined statistical areas of SLC/Layton/Ogden/Provo are often separated "urban" or "metro" areas but I can assure you that they are just about as interconnected as the Denver urban area is. They are simply separated because of "point of the mountains", but there is still settlement in these areas anyway. You could just do yourself a favor of looking at the sprawl between all these cities; it'll give a large enough indication that they are interconnected. The SLC/Layton/Ogden/Provo area has a population of roughly 2,198,191 people as of the 2010 census (Which has grown greatly, I may add). The 3,157,520 people in Denver-Aurora Combined Statistical Area includes places like Boulder all the way up to Greeley, which are much less interconnected than SLC/Layton/Ogden/Provo. Without Boulder and Greeley, 2,599,504 people were estimated in the Denver/Aurora/Lakewood metro area in 2011. This makes the difference ~401,313 people between 2010 SLC and 2011 Denver. I wouldn't call that a ridiculous difference.

Last edited by Wata-Z; 11-16-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 08:26 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,615,259 times
All you have to do is drive around in both cities (I have) to see that Denver is much much larger, and more dense! Heck, just compare the downtowns to see the huge difference! And the resorts outside of Denver still get more skiers than the utah resorts! Last CSMA I saw put Denver at almost 3.4 million. Still much larger than the slc metro.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:56 PM

5,371 posts, read 7,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
SLC area actually has some great museums. Not sure Denver is outright better in that category.

Denver has a bigger downtown, sure. Not necessarily "superior".
It really depends on what you like in a city. Denver may not be necessarily better to many. However, Denver offers much more over SLC than just a larger downtown.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:01 PM

2,459 posts, read 4,669,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It signifies growth as long as the buildings are packed. Mormon congregations are geographically based. In some areas, two or even three congregations meet in the same building. When there becomes too many people for one building to worship in, another one is built. It's just that simple. The Church isn't erecting buildings to have them sit empty.

Every Church in the world has its own way of determining membership. There are no rules governing how this is done. There are over 1 billion Catholics in the world today. How many of them do you suppose are practicing members? In most Christian Churches, people can choose what congregation they want to attend. There is a certain amount of moving around, while people find the congregation where they feel most comfortable. How do these churches go about determining membership counts? Nobody's attempting to hide anything. It's simply a matter of how the figures are calculated. And if a Mormon decides he no longer wants to be included in the count, he can simply ask to have his name removed from the Church's records. Church attendance in all Christian denominations is on the decline. There is no denying that. But the LDS Church baptizes some 800-900 people daily. If only half of them remain practicing members five years later, you still have growth.

You're easily amazed.
You clearly didn't bother reading any of the articles I posted. One in fact which was a link of people demanding to not be counted, despite their requests, are still listed as Mormons. Go ahead and stick your head in the sand. Religion frowns upon thinking and expects it's followers to obey orders without question. Congrats on being brainwashed.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:02 PM

21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
You clearly didn't bother reading any of the articles I posted.
The fact that I don't agree with your conclusions doesn't mean I didn't read the links. Actually, I didn't read all of them, but I read several when the articles first came out, so your "news" really isn't "news" to me at all. The articles would all have you believe that the Church's numbers are actually shrinking, when that isn't the case at all. The problem is with the retention rates, as I explained in my last post, and they are a concern to the Church's leadership. If you convert 1000 people and only 400 of them stick around for more than a few years, you've got problems. And that's what's happening (though I don't know the exact ratio). If 100 members die during the same period of time that the 1000 are converted, you've still got a net gain of 300 people. Where are you going to put that 300 people if you don't have enough church buildings for them?

Church attendance among all Christians is waning, Most converts to Mormonism come from other Christian denominations. Most people who leave Mormonism simply become non-religious; it's less common for a Mormon to become a Baptist, for example, than for a Baptist to become a Mormon. So, in that regard, too, Mormonism is growing.

Quote:
One in fact which was a link of people demanding to not be counted, despite their requests, are still listed as Mormons.
Anyone who wants his name removed from the Church's records ought to know that there is a process by which this is accomplished. Turning in a letter of resignation to the Church's leadership at General Conference is not the way to do this. By taking the correct steps, there is not one of these disgrunted Mormons who would be unable to get his name removed from the Church's records.

Quote:
Go ahead and stick your head in the sand. Religion frowns upon thinking and expects it's followers to obey orders without question.
I'm 66 years old. I was raised Mormon. I was never once told I was to "obey orders without question." My parents taught me to think for myself. They encouraged me to question and never made me feel wrong about having doubts. Stereotyping all Mormons or all religious people is nothing to be proud of.

Quote:
Congrats on being brainwashed.
I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:01 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,976,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
He/she said MSA.

Either way, the numbers are wrong.

Denver - 2,697,476
SLC - 1,140,483

A difference of 1,556,993
He/she said no such thing. He/she said precisely this:

Denver is bigger than SLC by over 2,000,0001!!!!!!

Which, as noted, is still wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or