Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:26 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,061,533 times

Advertisements

No, the skiing is not better! We have more choices, more resorts, more vertical! We also get far more international skiers as well. Hiking is not closer! You can hike right in the western limits of Metro Denver!!!!!! Denver is much larger! More to do! And just as much outdoor activity, if not more!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:18 PM

27,857 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
They skew their numbers to hide the vast number of followers they are losing daily.
That's absurd. They count all baptized members in the membership totals. Nothing wrong with that. If they are losing "vast numbers of followers," how do you account for the fact that a new LDS Church building is completed somewhere in the world every 16 hours? These buildings are not sitting empty, I can assure you.

Having never actually lived in Denver but having visited there on a number of occasions, I see very little in common between the two cities.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,786,267 times
Colorado ski resorts are second to no where in all categories except for maybe COL. I have to admit Utah is a very scenic place and SLC is very underrated though. Either city you will find what you are looking for.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:43 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,663,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
No, the skiing is not better! We have more choices, more resorts, more vertical! We also get far more international skiers as well. Hiking is not closer! You can hike right in the western limits of Metro Denver!!!!!! Denver is much larger! More to do! And just as much outdoor activity, if not more!!!!

Denver Has 6 resorts an hour away, every other resort in Colorado is 2-7 hours away.
Denver only has one resort that can be considered close, Echo Mountain which is 35 miles away. Utah has 3 much closer than that.

Arapahoe Basin
Echo Mountain
Eldora Ski
Keystone
Loveland Ski
Winter park

Salt Lake City has 8 within an hour, 3 within 30 minutes. Hiking trails within 15 minutes.
Alta
Brighton
Canyons Resort
Deer Valley (rated #1 ski resort in North America 3 or 4 years in a row)
Park city
Snowbird
Solitude
Sundance

The airport is on the far side (west of downtown SLC) and is still 10 miles closer to Snowbird than Echo Mountain is to downtown Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's absurd. They count all baptized members in the membership totals. Nothing wrong with that. If they are losing "vast numbers of followers," how do you account for the fact that a new LDS Church building is completed somewhere in the world every 16 hours? These buildings are not sitting empty, I can assure you.

Having never actually lived in Denver but having visited there on a number of occasions, I see very little in common between the two cities.
The building of churches does not signify growth. Even when members leave, the church continues to count them as members to hide the fact that they are not as large as they claim. How people can still be fooled by religious organizations in this day and age continues to amaze me.

group of ex-Mormon protesters outside the conference Sunday who said they don’t want to be part of that number.
Ex-Mormons deliver resignation letters to LDS Church during conference | fox13now.com

Number of faithful Mormons rapidly declining
Number of faithful Mormons rapidly declining

The Rise and Fall of the LDS Church
The Rise and Fall of the LDS Church

Mormon Church Losing Members
Mormon Church Losing Members. | mcprovidence

LDS Church Losing Members in Record Numbers
LDS Church Losing Members in Record Numbers | Questioning Mormonism

Mormon Church Admitting the Internet is Hurting Retention of Members
Mormon Church Admitting the Internet is Hurting Retention of Members | Recovery from Mormonism

Special report -Mormonism besieged by the modern age Special report -Mormonism besieged by the modern age | Reuters

Old 11-13-2014, 08:38 PM

489 posts, read 905,296 times
^^^^
Strong sources

(Not srs)

Old 11-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
The building of churches does not signify growth. Even when members leave, the church continues to count them as members to hide the fact that they are not as large as they claim.
It signifies growth as long as the buildings are packed. Mormon congregations are geographically based. In some areas, two or even three congregations meet in the same building. When there becomes too many people for one building to worship in, another one is built. It's just that simple. The Church isn't erecting buildings to have them sit empty.

Every Church in the world has its own way of determining membership. There are no rules governing how this is done. There are over 1 billion Catholics in the world today. How many of them do you suppose are practicing members? In most Christian Churches, people can choose what congregation they want to attend. There is a certain amount of moving around, while people find the congregation where they feel most comfortable. How do these churches go about determining membership counts? Nobody's attempting to hide anything. It's simply a matter of how the figures are calculated. And if a Mormon decides he no longer wants to be included in the count, he can simply ask to have his name removed from the Church's records. Church attendance in all Christian denominations is on the decline. There is no denying that. But the LDS Church baptizes some 800-900 people daily. If only half of them remain practicing members five years later, you still have growth.

Quote:
How people can still be fooled by religious organizations in this day and age continues to amaze me.
You're easily amazed.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I agree that they're quite different and offer different things. I personally would never move to SLC because I'm gay and have children. I don't think I'd fit in very well with the culture.
You may be surprised. Salt Lake City has a rather large gay population. And you ought to see the turnout at the annual Pride Parade.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Undoubtedly more nightlife in Denver. Bad air for at least eight weeks of the year in Salt Lake. Other than that, Salt Lake wins, hands down.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,061,533 times
In what way does slc win??? Cant think of ANY ways it is better than Denver! Maybe 15 minutes closer to skiing! Big deal! We have the far superior downtown, airport, amenities, sports, museums, suburbs, AeroSpace sector. You really cannot compete on any level! SLC is a decent enough city, just that Denver is a couple of notches above in any stat you throw out!

Old 11-14-2014, 08:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,582,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
???? 2013 CSA Estimate:

Denver: 3,277,309
Salt Lake: 2,389,225

I'll do the math = 888,084
He/she said MSA.

Either way, the numbers are wrong.

Denver - 2,697,476
SLC - 1,140,483

A difference of 1,556,993
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City