Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,823 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im currently a 24 year old physical therapy graduate student. I'm trying to figure out what city(Denver or Salt Lake City) would be best for me to do my clinical rotations which is January through June. I like to ski, fly fish, hike, and drink beer. If anyone could give me some advise on which city to move to or has any recommendations on any other cities that would be great because I could go either way on both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 AM

26,163 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Denver for the beer.

Check the cost of living for each city, if one is way cheaper go to that one.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,423,158 times
No doubt that everyone on this forum will gush about how wonderful Denver is. If you like the city, nightlife, etc., then Denver would be OK.

Personally, though, I would prefer Salt Lake City. Skiing is literally within minutes of SLC (they have city bus service to a couple of the ski areas), there are Wilderness Areas which one can literally walk into from the city limits. Yes, it is possible to drink beer in SLC, but the LDS culture is certainly present in SLC, which frowns on alcohol use. The big downer of SLC is its very serious air pollution problems in winter--one of the worst places in the US. On a positive note, SLC's public transit system is much better than Denver's.

Both Denver and SLC are regional medical centers with a number of first-rate facilities. Albuquerque, NM also has some excellent medical facilities, is somewhat smaller and has plenty of recreation fairly close by. Cost of living would likely be less in Albuquerque than either SLC or Denver.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 AM

341 posts, read 706,767 times
This is good. Luckily it's just a rotation with only a few months commitment.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,375,274 times
The man who is the expert on everything and does not like cities says SLC public transit is better than Denver. That is news to me and to all the lists that I have seen that rank RTD as one of the best on most lists and where SLC does not even appear on many lists.

SLC system is very good but where does it say it is better than Denver on the many lists that are seen? I have no doubt it would appear on one list but the preponderance of ratings list Denver a much better system.

Livecontent

Old 04-15-2014, 12:57 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,671,023 times
Both cities have their positives and negatives. I like SLC for the closer access to skiing, but if you are going looking at June, you really won't have a need to be close to the ski resorts, correct? For me, I would choose to live in Denver. I don't mind visiting SLC, but the cultural and political differences are too different from my own. I also enjoy microbrews and the culture that breweries bring. I'm not sure of the laws about alcohol in Utah anymore, as it's been quite a while since I've spent much time there. But, you used to have to order food and have it present anytime you were drinking or sign your name to a list at the bar. I just don't like either as an option.

I think you will find recreational activities to suite your needs in both locations.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,067,048 times
Denver. It is the bigger and better city in almost all quantifiable areas! And the difference in driving to ski resorts is not as bad as the utah folks always try to claim!!!!! All skiers in Denver do the same thing as our neighbor states! Get up, hit the slopes all day, and drive home! We just have more skiing options! It is not as big a difference as they make it seem! I will take Denver all day everyday over our little brother city! As far as lightrail, Denver's system is larger with a higher daily ridership as well. And the downtowns are not even on the same tier! Denver is a tier or two above slc. Nothing wrong with slc, it is a very nice up and coming city. It is just not in the same league as Denver.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:11 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,665,276 times
SLC strikes me as a nice up and coming city. It's growing fast and it is definitely underrated. However, I think you should go with Denver. Seems to fit you better. But take that with a grain of salt, because I think you would enjoy both places. The Mountain West is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
On a positive note, SLC's public transit system is much better than Denver's.
I'd disagree. Although SLC does have light rail covering most of the metro, due to it being much smaller, I think Denver's has more coverage overall. One the airport line opens in 2016, it will definitely be ahead. Also, (I don't know for sure) but SLC's bus system doesn't seem to be as great. Denver ranks #13 and SLC doesn't even make the top 30 for buses.

Last edited by Mezter; 04-15-2014 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 12:56 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,876,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreravens7 View Post
Hi, Im currently a 24 year old physical therapy graduate student. I'm trying to figure out what city(Denver or Salt Lake City) would be best for me to do my clinical rotations which is January through June. I like to ski, fly fish, hike, and drink beer. If anyone could give me some advise on which city to move to or has any recommendations on any other cities that would be great because I could go either way on both of them.
Both cities are similar regarding options for skiing, hiking, but Denver more then wins for the beer and Salt Lake City for the fly fishing because you would be closer to Idaho which is known as offering some of the best fly fishing in the lower 48.

On a side note, if you are looking for a cosmopolitan and diverse city center then Denver wins. SLC has a nice city center but is not nearly as walkable or happening as Denver's is and SLC's downtown goes to bed every night around 6. I have several friends in their 20's and 30's who live in SLC and will come up to Boise once a month to spend a weekend so that they can experience a diverse, walkable night life and enjoy good local Northwest brews.

My personal experience with both cities is that in Denver people just enjoy their city while in SLC many people are always looking at ways to not be in the shadow and influence of the LDS Church which founded the city.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 04-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-16-2014, 01:52 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,162,102 times
If you're Mormon and conservative, choose SLC. If not, choose Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City