U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City/Metro looks most impressive from an airplane?
New York 50 30.67%
Los Angeles 31 19.02%
Chicago 17 10.43%
San Francisco Bay Area 13 7.98%
Seattle 11 6.75%
San Diego 4 2.45%
Denver 0 0%
Phoenix 2 1.23%
Houston 2 1.23%
Dallas 14 8.59%
Philadelphia 0 0%
DC 1 0.61%
Boston 2 1.23%
Miami 7 4.29%
Atlanta 6 3.68%
Other (Please name) 3 1.84%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times

Advertisements

Actually this video may be better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWxHPOlERI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
You don't really a see a good view of NYC when entering JFK but when entering laguardia you fly right over manhattan. Beautiful.

West palm beach looks awesome during the day.
Yep, West Palm Beach looks awesome flying into PBIA. The thing with South Florida is, even the smaller cities look amazing from the air, because of the general coastal landscape, white-sand beaches, and turquoise water.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,225,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I still say downtown is not impressive from the air. It looked like landing at Vegas to me.
Duly noted, Tex.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 AM

437 posts, read 468,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
These are all good, though I can't understand why Chicago especially over the lake and with shots of downtown isn't on your list. Perhaps you haven't experienced that but it's like flying over a smaller version of Manhattan.
I've flown in to Chicago plenty of times, really nothing impressive especially once one has experienced landing at LAX or LaGuardia.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
I've flown in to Chicago plenty of times, really nothing impressive especially once one has experienced landing at LAX or LaGuardia.
NYC is more impressive than both Chicago and LA, and LA is impressive at certain times of the day but I find Chicago more impressive than LA just for the lake and the skyline that extends for 10+ miles along it. I've flown into LAX at least 30 times in my life too - only been impressed with it around sunset and a little after that. The mountains and foothills around LA are nice, but the city and metro area itself is just as sprawly and endless development as Chicago is. What sets it apart for me is what I mentioned above.

I like Honolulu more than LAX, actually. The ocean along with the mountains coupled with the dense concentration of high rises is nice. I enjoy LA much more from the ground in the end.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
NYC is more impressive than both Chicago and LA, and LA is impressive at certain times of the day but I find Chicago more impressive than LA just for the lake and the skyline that extends for 10+ miles along it. I've flown into LAX at least 30 times in my life too - only been impressed with it around sunset and a little after that. The mountains and foothills around LA are nice, but the city and metro area itself is just as sprawly and endless development as Chicago is. What sets it apart for me is what I mentioned above.

I like Honolulu more than LAX, actually. The ocean along with the mountains coupled with the dense concentration of high rises is nice. I enjoy LA much more from the ground in the end.
That's completely fine, but really I cannot see how someone who has flown in to LA or LaGuardia would find Chicagoland impressive, its super flat, no texture to the land, yes it has a grid but so does LA and larger at that, the other thing is Chicagoland sprawls in to farm land which reminds you that you're in the Midwest, yuck!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
That's completely fine, but really I cannot see how someone who has flown in to LA or LaGuardia would find Chicagoland impressive, its super flat, no texture to the land, yes it has a grid but so does LA and larger at that, the other thing is Chicagoland sprawls in to farm land which reminds you that you're in the Midwest, yuck!
Because of the mass concentration of high rises and skyscrapers. I don't see how anybody flying over that could be like "yeah, whatever." Even my friends who live in Manhattan find it impressive even though Manhattan is more impressive. Just because you find one thing amazing doesn't mean you have to completely put down another thing. It's not like we're talking about flying into DCA and marveling at the five 300+ high rises there.

I don't like farmland either as I think it's boring, but there is no farmland for 40-50 miles west of O'Hare airport. Elgin with a population of 110,000 has a western border of 30-35 miles west of O'Hare and between that and O'Hare is constant suburbia and not farmland. The airport is also 15+ miles from the Lake and between that of course is mainly the city and a few suburbs, and to the south it's 50 miles to the edge of the suburbs. To the north, it's 35-40 miles until you hit less dense lake country (Lake County, IL), but that's not farmland - it's towns around lakes. The farmland in the north would be in Wisconsin or at the border which is around 55 or 60 miles to the NW or NNW.

Sizable airliners start their approach a few hundred miles out of an airport, but this is the first steps in doing that (i.e. starting a descent). By the time you are only a few thousand feet above an area upon landing, you are no more than 10-15 miles out, which in the case of Chicago anyway you cut it is not farmland.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Because of the mass concentration of high rises and skyscrapers. I don't see how anybody flying over that could be like "yeah, whatever." Even my friends who live in Manhattan find it impressive even though Manhattan is more impressive. Just because you find one thing amazing doesn't mean you have to completely put down another thing. It's not like we're talking about flying into DCA and marveling at the five 300+ high rises there.

I don't like farmland either as I think it's boring, but there is no farmland for 40-50 miles west of O'Hare airport
But flying in from the West that is all you see before you hit Chicago suburban sprawl, its no different than landing at DFW IMO.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 AM

1,015 posts, read 737,884 times
I'll vote LAX at night, NYC during the day, with an honorable mention to the reef runway at Honolulu.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
But flying in from the West that is all you see before you hit Chicago suburban sprawl, its no different than landing at DFW IMO.
Not everyone flies in from the west though. CA has mountains outside of LAX, I agree that's better to look at, but nobody in their right mind is going to fly over Lake Michigan and passing downtown Chicago along with the high rises going along the lake and think "Hmm well..WHATEVER. Not impressed." Sorry but even my hardcore Manhattan friends love flying in from that way.

For me, definitely top 5 in the US - NYC, Chicago, LA, Honolulu, SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or