U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city by design?
Toronto 25 19.38%
Chicago 44 34.11%
San Francisco 24 18.60%
Washington DC 36 27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,937,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I must agree with Sav that Verizon is in a more urban area

also agree with you that State is likely more active more hours of the day
Yeah I never said that the area around VC wasn't urban. But now we're getting into activity and what not - it's just silly to think that the only vibrant place in Chicago is downtown. Would you not agree with this that there are many other vibrant places in Chicago? I actually think that Wicker Park on weekends, especially in the summer, has a more vibrant nightlife scene just on the street than River North downtown, or close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM

21,952 posts, read 30,822,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah I never said that the area around VC wasn't urban. But now we're getting into activity and what not - it's just silly to think that the only vibrant place in Chicago is downtown. Would you not agree with this that there are many other vibrant places in Chicago? I actually think that Wicker Park on weekends, especially in the summer, has a more vibrant nightlife scene just on the street than River North downtown, or close to it.
no I would not say that at all - but that area is more urban

It would be like me saying my neighborhood in S Philly is more urban than that area of DC, it is not

now MD also thinks rowhome neighborhoods are not urban which baffles me but I dont see how wrigleyville is more urban in this comparison

Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I was giving Chicago the benefit of the doubt because honestly, NYC may be the only city I can think of with more pedestrian traffic than Gallery Place over 24 hours. Michigan Ave gets there during the day in the summer. There are about over 60,000 exits from the metro within two blocks in this neighborhood.
I've been to Gallery Place and I never once said that it wasn't vibrant. I'm responding to your claims about vibrancy in Chicago and Michigan Avenue. The vibrancy ends on Michigan Avenue by 10pm. Again, the other streets off of it are more vibrant later at most hours of the day, such as State and Hubbard Streets which don't rely on retail traffic, but more real residences, bars/clubs/lounges, and restaurants that are open much later. There are other places outside of the downtown area that have a hub of activity.

Do you think that in an area like Lakeview with 95,000 people that everyone is just staying inside and not doing anything and not being on the street?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
no I would not say that at all - but that area is more urban
So, you think that the only vibrant place in Chicago is downtown or are you talking about something else? This just makes me want to actually be a weirdo and grab pictures or video next time I'm out in some areas to educate people about the city. In the summer in Wicker Park for example there's so many people out it's not even funny

Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
So, you think that the only vibrant place in Chicago is downtown or are you talking about something else?

This just makes me want to actually be a weirdo and grab pictures or video next time I'm out in some areas to educate people about the city.
I said nothing about being vibrant or active - and think many areas outside of DT chicago are that - in some ways moreso than DT chicago (esp the loop not as much the area north and west of michigan) but the area around Verizon is more urban than wrigleyville

if you just go by vibrant downtown disney world is pretty damn urban

have been to wrigley many times, been sprayed by silly string at the cubby bear etc got into a fight on the el platform etc. but no its not more urban - the area is most definitely urban just not s much

Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I said nothing about being vibrant or active - and think many areas outside of DT chicago are that - in some ways moreso than DT chicago (esp the loop not as much the area north and west of michigan) but the area around Verizon is more urban than wrigleyville

if you just go by vibrant downtown disney world is pretty damn urban
Yeah I think the urbanity and vibrancy discussions are separate. I'm just responding now a belief that downtown Chicago is the only vibrant place in Chicago because it's the city center. Anybody who's spent a lot of time in the city knows there's other vibrant areas of town. In the end, the whole thing stemmed from the verbiage that said Wrigley Field is not "right in the city." They meant city center - yeah it's not downtown, but it's still in the city and in a dense part of the city for that matter that has a lot of activity everyday.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM

9,588 posts, read 10,923,408 times
Quote:
I've been to Gallery Place and I never once said that it wasn't vibrant. I'm responding to your claims about vibrancy in Chicago and Michigan Avenue. The vibrancy ends on Michigan Avenue by 10pm. Again, the other streets off of it are more vibrant later at most hours of the day, such as State and Hubbard Streets which don't rely on retail traffic, but more real residences, bars/clubs/lounges, and restaurants that are open much later. There are other places outside of the downtown area that have a hub of activity.

Do you think that in an area like Lakeview with 95,000 people that everyone is just staying inside and not doing anything and not being on the street?

I brought up Michigan Avenue because that street during tourist season during the day is the kind of traffic Gallery Place gets and has the urban built environment to be compared to it. If you have been to Gallery Place, you know what I'm talking about. It's packed all the time. A neighborhood street will never be able to compare to that. It has pedestrian counts near the top of this country which is why the video screens are there. The advertisement space is reliant on pedestrian counts per hour like Times Square. Gallery Place is way up there in this country. That's why I didn't understand how you were comparing it to a neighborhood. The Wrigley Field area is more like Adams Morgan in D.C. Would you compare Wrigley Field to Times Square?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 PM

what is the pedestrian count out of curiousity if you have them, it also benefits from the metro stop which i believe is also a connector on the Metro

Its a busy area but seems less busy then many other areas to me

Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 PM

9,588 posts, read 10,923,408 times
Quote:
Yeah I think the urbanity and vibrancy discussions are separate. I'm just responding now a belief that downtown Chicago is the only vibrant place in Chicago because it's the city center. Anybody who's spent a lot of time in the city knows there's other vibrant areas of town. In the end, the whole thing stemmed from the verbiage that said Wrigley Field is not "right in the city." They meant city center - yeah it's not downtown, but it's still in the city and in a dense part of the city for that matter that has a lot of activity everyday.

I think you need to realize that downtown D.C. is adding thousands of residential units so if it's population density that you want, go three blocks east and you will have it.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think you need to realize that downtown D.C. is adding thousands of residential units so if it's population density that you want, go three blocks and you will have it.
you do realize that DT chicago added nearly twice the number of residents last decade that DC did - DC is on a pace right now but will see if it continues with the current intensity (without continued job adds I dont care how much urban allure is there) - trends change - they always do and not all plans come to fruition

DC will grow but am not convinced at the numbers and longer term plans you proport as gospel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or