U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city by design?
Toronto 25 19.38%
Chicago 44 34.11%
San Francisco 24 18.60%
Washington DC 36 27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
you do realize that DT chicago added nearly twice the number of residents last decade that DC did - DC is on a pace right now but will see if it continues with the current intensity (without continued job adds I dont care how much urban allure is there) - trends change - they always do and not all plans come to fruition

DC will grow but am not convinced at the numbers and longer term plans you proport as gospel
Yep, and there's thousands more that are being added to DT Chicago as we speak and in the coming year or two. If this rate continues, I bet the downtown population will increase by at least 50% in 10 years. Who knows if that will happen, but in the next two years there's supposed to be 6000-8000 new units added downtown, which is probably room for 12,000-15,000 new residents in a short period of time. There's also new proposals coming out every other day it seems and some of these are moving very fast. I remember a smaller 15 story high rise in the West Loop came out in probably November-ish that an investor was interested in building. By December they secured all funding, and by mid January they had already cleared away the land, and 2 weeks later they started drilling the caissons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,917,416 times
There are over 5,413 units either built or being built in the neighborhood beginning .3 miles from the Verizon Center. It's called Mt. Vernon Triangle.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.8...m3!1m0!1m0!3e2

Here is a map. It's not updated with the newest projects in the last couple months but its good enough. At full build out, it will probably have close to 8,000 units in a very small footprint.

Development Map | Mount Vernon Triangle CID

Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
There are over 5,413 units either built or being built in the neighborhood beginning .3 miles from the Verizon Center. It's called Mt. Vernon Triangle.

DC has a lot going up, no denying that. Chicago does too. Over 6000 new units being delivered downtown this year and next year, if not more now that stuff keeps coming out, and in the last 2 years something like 4000 or 5000 units downtown alone were delivered.

Here's a map that I made of some of the larger projects in Chicago. I'm missing some but there's a lot on there. You have to zoom in to see the ones downtown since there are many. These are also only since about mid last year. I could go back another year or so and there would be a lot more up here.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...CjkYv1Tw&pli=1

Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
you do realize that DT chicago added nearly twice the number of residents last decade that DC did - DC is on a pace right now but will see if it continues with the current intensity (without continued job adds I dont care how much urban allure is there) - trends change - they always do and not all plans come to fruition

DC will grow but am not convinced at the numbers and longer term plans you proport as gospel

This is not a competition. This poster is saying downtown D.C. has absolutely no population density so I told him/her that it is getting better. What the $#!! is wrong with saying that? See what I mean about you and D.C. Why was that even necessary? I didn't even make a comparison on density. What does Chicago adding more people than downtown D.C. the last decade have to do with the fact that downtown D.C. is trying to add more residents downtown? What is your $%#@*&^ problem?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
This poster is saying downtown D.C. has absolutely no population density so I told him/her that it is getting better.
I never said downtown DC didn't have density - I was stating that the population density around Wrigley Field is actually more, right now, than the population density around Verizon Center. This is a fact - I already posted data at the census tract level showing this data. That is all. In 3 years, yes it will be denser than it already is and there's no denying that.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:

Here is a map. It's not updated with the newest projects in the last couple months but its good enough. At full build out, it will probably have close to 8,000 units in a very small footprint.

Development Map | Mount Vernon Triangle CID
so that would more than double the population based on the current census and take density close to 30-35K ppsm in the area. A question for you MD - and am not trying to question anything - I know that area well and even have seen some of the new developments. Do you think that will be a great residential area? Would this be a better residential area than say Dupont? If so why and if not why Am just curious on your perspective

Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I never said downtown DC didn't have density - I was stating that the population density around Wrigley Field is actually more, right now, than the population density around Verizon Center. This is a fact - I already posted data at the census tract level showing this data. That is all. In 3 years, yes it will be denser than it already is and there's no denying that.

Cool, and never mind.....I'm done with this thread.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
DC has a lot going up, no denying that. Chicago does too. Over 6000 new units being delivered downtown this year and next year, if not more now that stuff keeps coming out, and in the last 2 years something like 4000 or 5000 units downtown alone were delivered.

Here's a map that I made of some of the larger projects in Chicago. I'm missing some but there's a lot on there. You have to zoom in to see the ones downtown since there are many. These are also only since about mid last year. I could go back another year or so and there would be a lot more up here.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...CjkYv1Tw&pli=1

D.C. is never going to be downtown Chicago for obvious reason's but it is getting better.

Census Tract 4701 had a population density of 32,135 people per square mile in 2010 in Mt. Vernon Triangle. There were 3,986 people living in that census tract. Since then, 1,061 units have been built or are currently under construction. That includes one bedrooms, two bedrooms, and three bedrooms.

http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/165/460NYA/ 63 units under construction
http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/115/Yale_West/ 218 units delivered
http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/9/Meridian_at_Mount_Vernon_Square/ 390 units Phase II under construction
http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/64/Meridian_at_Mt_Vernon_Triangle/ 390 units Phase I delivered

There are another possible 500 units that may deliver in addition to these by 2020. The census tract below was mainly empty parking lots and also has a lot of residential and office too. I think this neighborhood will be very dense in the 50k-60k people per square mile level by 2020-2025. It won't be high as Chicago which will probably be at New York city level density in some area's but it's good for us I guess.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-17-2014 at 09:22 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
so that would more than double the population based on the current census and take density close to 30-35K ppsm in the area. A question for you MD - and am not trying to question anything - I know that area well and even have seen some of the new developments. Do you think that will be a great residential area? Would this be a better residential area than say Dupont? If so why and if not why Am just curious on your perspective

I don't know KidPhilly. All we can do is hope that it becomes one. Maybe one day. It will be totally different than Dupont. I don't think you can compare it to Dupont. Can we compare Midtown Manhattan to SoHo? They are so different. It's going to be a downtown neighborhood. Busy all day and no real quiet getaway areas.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Census Tract 4701 had a population density of 32,135 people per square mile in 2010 in Mt. Vernon Triangle. There were 3,986 people living in that census tract. Since then, 1,061 units have been built or are currently under construction. That includes one bedrooms, two bedrooms, and three bedrooms.
So if 2000 people are added to that tract, then the density will jump to about 50,000 per sq mile. It's a nice jump in density for sure.

Quote:
It won't be high as Chicago which will probably be at New York city level density in some area's but it's good for us I guess.
Well, I don't know about that at least on the Census Tract Level. That tract ranks 17th highest in DC. If it were in Chicago it would be 67th. While that's a sizable difference, it's not immense. Though looking at Census Blocks is where the disparity comes even more.

Chicago is dense but NYC is another animal. I actually live in the densest census tract in Chicago (other than this one up north at 500,000 per sq mile which covers only two high rises) which is 92,000 per sq mile. Though a high rise is currently being built in the tract that will deliver another 367 units by next spring. Once full, the density will probably jump to 105,000 per sq mile, but still. 105,000 per sq mile in NYC would rank around 170th if that gives you any indication of how dense NYC truly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or