Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city by design?
Toronto 25 19.38%
Chicago 44 34.11%
San Francisco 24 18.60%
Washington DC 36 27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:41 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times

Advertisements

DC and Chicago are very logically planned cities. I'm quite the fan of DC's subway system, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Chicago easily.....why they planned a Lot size of 25'x125'. Kept urban density but moved away from Row housing....a better choice. Through most of the city and gave homes a nice set-back off the street and sidewalk. To make a open vista and chose a wider street grid then in the East.
To me ..... creating a more pleasing Pre-suburban sprawl in still a urban setting

---I give it to show the standard city lot size FRONT LAWNS. AS MUCH BETTER then the endless Row home blocks of some Eastern cities.

To me its like having Suburban attributes on a more urban scene. They also have garages from alleys in the back and decent yards for a small patio or garden with the power lines along the alleys too.

This is just a random Mid-Chicago neighborhood of 1920s 30s Bungalow era... common housing that makes up half of the city ...in a few varieties of styles ..... in like HALF the city. Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Prairie-style⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...c7ab3755394a24

Love These Mid-Century MOD Modern styles of the cities last growth in the 50s-Mid-60s ⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9714...415qsfZ4kQ!2e0

Last edited by steeps; 12-11-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 07:38 PM

929 posts, read 1,903,665 times
The *urban* design of Chicago is truly awe-inspiring in a way that even Manhattan isn't to me.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:49 PM

39 posts, read 58,565 times
Yeah Chicago is the best out of this list easily.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
Well in terms of physical environment it's SF hand's down. Not only is the geography and topography very unique and parks fantastic but it also has by far the best climate in which to enjoy it year round.

When it comes to nightlife I'd say it's Toronto by a long shot. Chicago and Toronto seem to be about equal in the music/dance/clubbing scene but Toronto is very much a late night city. Toronto has by far the best arts and theatre scene of the 4 cities and the streets are packed till the wee hours. When I say this I don't just mean bars but restaurants, cafes, stores, and just tens of thousands just roaming the streets taking in all the city has to offer. You don't get that in most US cities because it's too dangerous at night like Chicago.

one thing you get in Toronto which is FAR less prevalent in the US is a lot of patios and outdoor cafes. It always surprises me when I go to the US and there are so few outdoor eating areas, much like the UK that way. Canadians love to eat and drink outdoors and in Toronto it's done all night as well and you don't get that in the US cities. Toronto is just far, far busier at night than any of those cities. There maybe just as many bars in those 4 cities but in Chicago you have to take a cab or car to get there while in Toronto you go to a restaurant, shop, cruise the streets, grab a coffee, all after 11:00 and then go to the bar.

In terms of nighttime energy, none of the other 3 US cities come close to Toronto.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:51 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

This is just a random Mid-Chicago neighborhood of 1920s 30s Bungalow era... common housing that makes up half of the city ...in a few varieties of styles ..... in like HALF the city. Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Prairie-style⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...c7ab3755394a24

Love These Mid-Century MOD Modern styles of the cities last growth in the 50s-Mid-60s ⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9714...415qsfZ4kQ!2e0
Honestly - I don't see what is all that appealing about these residential nabe's quite frankly! Of those two links you've posted, I definately would take any T.O Bay and Gable Victorian style like in Cabbagetown.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cabba...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Old 12-13-2014, 05:56 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Well in terms of physical environment it's SF hand's down. Not only is the geography and topography very unique and parks fantastic but it also has by far the best climate in which to enjoy it year round.

When it comes to nightlife I'd say it's Toronto by a long shot. Chicago and Toronto seem to be about equal in the music/dance/clubbing scene but Toronto is very much a late night city. Toronto has by far the best arts and theatre scene of the 4 cities and the streets are packed till the wee hours. When I say this I don't just mean bars but restaurants, cafes, stores, and just tens of thousands just roaming the streets taking in all the city has to offer. You don't get that in most US cities because it's too dangerous at night like Chicago.

one thing you get in Toronto which is FAR less prevalent in the US is a lot of patios and outdoor cafes. It always surprises me when I go to the US and there are so few outdoor eating areas, much like the UK that way. Canadians love to eat and drink outdoors and in Toronto it's done all night as well and you don't get that in the US cities. Toronto is just far, far busier at night than any of those cities. There maybe just as many bars in those 4 cities but in Chicago you have to take a cab or car to get there while in Toronto you go to a restaurant, shop, cruise the streets, grab a coffee, all after 11:00 and then go to the bar.

In terms of nighttime energy, none of the other 3 US cities come close to Toronto.
This post is honestly so misinformed I don't even know where to start.

Toronto a better late night city than Chicago? You do realize Chicago's last call is a full 2 hrs after Toronto right? Here is a Chicago 4am bar guide. List your favorite places open until 4am in TO.....

Chicago 4 a.m. Bar Guide: Full List, Map of Chicago's Late-Night Spots - Chicago - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Where in the heck do you go shopping in Toronto after 11? Most proper retail closes before 11 in almost any city, even Manhattan.

Al fresco eating less prevalent in the US and UK? I would argue that it is more prevalent in the large cities in both countries than Toronto. It is actually something many Toronto resident complain about not having enough of.

Too dangerous to go out at night? Seriously you need to get out more.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:50 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
This post is honestly so misinformed I don't even know where to start.

Toronto a better late night city than Chicago? You do realize Chicago's last call is a full 2 hrs after Toronto right? Here is a Chicago 4am bar guide. List your favorite places open until 4am in TO.....

Chicago 4 a.m. Bar Guide: Full List, Map of Chicago's Late-Night Spots - Chicago - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Where in the heck do you go shopping in Toronto after 11? Most proper retail closes before 11 in almost any city, even Manhattan.

Al fresco eating less prevalent in the US and UK? I would argue that it is more prevalent in the large cities in both countries than Toronto. It is actually something many Toronto resident complain about not having enough of.

Too dangerous to go out at night? Seriously you need to get out more.
Was about to say the same. You beat me to it. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:17 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Honestly - I don't see what is all that appealing about these residential nabe's quite frankly! Of those two links you've posted, I definately would take any T.O Bay and Gable Victorian style like in Cabbagetown.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cabba...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg
Well who wouldn't love a quaint, ornate, architecturally stunning Victorian home? But your post shows some very tight Rows. Not my favorite and if there is very little or no frontage green space it drops a peg for me too.
Many of them Cabaggetown examples I think would be easily found in Americas highly Row-home cities of Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. But still......generally a Victorian is the highest housing form in desirability to me.

I added them Two Chicago neighborhoods for TRUELY AMERICAN DESIGNS , Frank Lloyd Wright inspired bungalows that for URBAN LIVING ...that you viewed, with mostly single bungalows styles in virtually half the city.
Chicago presents to me open neighborhoods by their choice of the set-backs off the sidewalks and from the curb. It gave a pre-suburban sprawl look in still a dense Big city. The second later 50s 60s look are Classic to me in good portions on the Northwest and Southwest sides of the cities growth periods. Again for a open design in a big city.

Chicago surely has examples of Great Victorians too....in the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods north of downtown late 1800s

Here are perfect Victorians who wouldn't love with nice frontage of green late 1800s⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9255...JsuvzqJLUw!2e0

Quaint old Cottage styles... note nice frontage again 1900⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9571...Zg1nWZ2-Yg!2e0

Different styles again in this scene I include for ONE PINK AND WHITE HOUSE ON THE RIGHT... Not sure what style it is? Maybe more like something at home on the Massachusetts coast or Nova Scotia.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9255...JsuvzqJLUw!2e0

Nice neighborhood near Wrigley Field. Notice nice frontage again singles variety of styles one side cottage styles⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9498...O1KZpGtq7A!2e0

But brick bungalows as these 1920s-40s eras are a large portion of the city NOTICE PLENTY OF FRONTAGE in so many neighborhoods⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9323...wK9LS9En-A!2e0

WHY CHICAGO GETS MY VOTE FOR GREAT PLEASANT URBANITY IN A BIG CITY DESIGN GRID.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:28 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
^^^

No need to get your panties in a knot Steeps... I much prefer Chicago's Victorians to the links you originally posted, they simply aren't my style.. - they look too suburban in nature. I would prefer a city by design like OlD Toronto that is littered with Victorians as opposed to the various styled 'classic' American one's that you posted.. Don't worry, Toronto has some hideously designed homes too, especially when you get outside Old T.O.. This is all opinion right? I would simply like to live in the urbanity of a tightly knit Victorian nabe close to an urban main arterial which abounds aplenty in Old T.O..

No need to bold either - I think everyone knows you prefer Chicago's urbanity by design and probably everything Chicago no probs.. On another note - Toronto is largely built on a grid as well

Last edited by fusion2; 12-13-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City