U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Best city by design?
Toronto 25 19.38%
Chicago 44 34.11%
San Francisco 24 18.60%
Washington DC 36 27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,456,615 times
Reputation: 3716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
This post is honestly so misinformed I don't even know where to start.

Toronto a better late night city than Chicago? You do realize Chicago's last call is a full 2 hrs after Toronto right? Here is a Chicago 4am bar guide. List your favorite places open until 4am in TO.....

Chicago 4 a.m. Bar Guide: Full List, Map of Chicago's Late-Night Spots - Chicago - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Where in the heck do you go shopping in Toronto after 11? Most proper retail closes before 11 in almost any city, even Manhattan.

Al fresco eating less prevalent in the US and UK? I would argue that it is more prevalent in the large cities in both countries than Toronto. It is actually something many Toronto resident complain about not having enough of.

Too dangerous to go out at night? Seriously you need to get out more.
I think he might have been referring to the general buzz of the city even late at night.. I don't disagree with you about when a bar closes, but he may have some points about buzz - T.O may be more alive up until 2 am whereas in his eyes anyway - Chicago may have bars open more late but the city streets aren't as buzzing in general as T.O's..ie walking up and down Yonge/Bloor/Queen/College late at night - main arterials filled with life.. Maybe he didn't see equivalent places in Chicago.

Why would you take such offense to this lol.. There's more to a night life than getting S-faced anyway right and while I wouldn't say Toronto is the better overall arts city - it certainly has the larger theatre scene. This isn't what this thread is about anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2014, 01:46 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,315,601 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think he might have been referring to the general buzz of the city even late at night.. I don't disagree with you about when a bar closes, but he may have some points about buzz - T.O may be more alive up until 2 am whereas in his eyes anyway - Chicago may have bars open more late but the city streets aren't as buzzing in general as T.O's..ie walking up and down Yonge/Bloor/Queen/College late at night - main arterials filled with life.. Maybe he didn't see equivalent places in Chicago.

Why would you take such offense to this lol.. There's more to a night life than getting S-faced anyway right and while I wouldn't say Toronto is the better overall arts city - it certainly has the larger theatre scene. This isn't what this thread is about anyway...
You do snub and lessen Chicago in other threads too ALWAYS... but yes not what the thread is about.
Toronto is the Largest city in your nation. As such... and as any nations biggest city. It should have a good portion of its nations best and most.

In reviews of US cities NIGHTLIFE SCENE.... Chicago does pretty well?
The list by US News World Report⤵
...#1 Miami Beach
...#2 Las Vegas
...#3 NYC
...#4 New Orleans
...#5 Chicago

14 Best Nightlife Scenes in the USA | U.S. News Travel

Last edited by steeps; 12-13-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,456,615 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You do snub and lessen Chicago in other threads too ALWAYS... but yes not what the thread is about.
Toronto is the Largest city in your nation. As such... and as any nations biggest city. It should have a good portion of its nations best and most.

In reviews of US cities NIGHTLIFE SCENE.... Chicago does pretty well?
The list by US News World Report⤵
...#1 Miami Beach
...#2 Las Vegas
...#3 NYC
...#4 New Orleans
...#5 Chicago

14 Best Nightlife Scenes in the USA | U.S. News Travel
Pretty uncalled for actually - I didn't say Toronto had a better nightlife than Chicago - I said that some may take away that Toronto's streets have more of a buzz at night - particularly if you take into account Yonge/Bloor/College/Queen/King etc all major arterials in Toronto close to its core that are quite busy at night with ped traffic.

As for the nonsense you seem to want to propogate regarding me always trying to LESSEN Chicago.. that is further unsubstantiated and many times i've actually been quite clear where I think Chicago (Including its skyscraper architecture that quite handily wipes the floor with T.O's) is better than Toronto so really silly that you are taking this perspective..

Read this thread IN the Toronto section where I was quite complimentary of Chicago on my visit and the friendliness of the locals and the vibrancy of Boystown...

What US City best compares to Toronto?


Did I hurt your feelings because I didn't like some pics you posted of nabe's who's houses and urbanity in my mind look unremarkable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:13 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,315,601 times
Reputation: 1483
[quote=edwardsyzzurphands;34512592]Does that not mean that you started this ridiculous back and forth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Pretty uncalled for actually - I didn't say Toronto had a better nightlife than Chicago - I said that some may take away that Toronto's streets have more of a buzz at night - particularly if you take into account Yonge/Bloor/College/Queen/King etc all major arterials in Toronto close to its core that are quite busy at night with ped traffic.

As for the nonsense you seem to want to propogate regarding me always trying to LESSEN Chicago.. that is further unsubstantiated and many times i've actually been quite clear where I think Chicago is better than Toronto so really silly that you are taking this perspective..

Read this thread IN the Toronto section where I was quite complimentary of Chicago on my visit and the friendliness of the locals and the vibrancy of Boystown...

What US City best compares to Toronto?


Did I hurt your feelings because I didn't like some pics you posted?
No hate please I did not knock Toronto
It's ok really we can stand by favorite cities I did Chicago and would expect Toronto to have Canada's best. We can have opinions from things on other threads too and Pictures were not in my reply? But I missed negative remarks on my pictures if you posted them? Guess I will scroll back....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,456,615 times
Reputation: 3716
[quote=steeps;37626450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Does that not mean that you started this ridiculous back and forth?




No hate please I did not knock Toronto
It's ok really we can stand by favorite cities I did Chicago and would expect Toronto to have Canada's best. We can have opinions from things on other threads too and Pictures were not in my reply? But I missed negative remarks on my pictures if you posted them? Guess I will scroll back....
Well anyway - i'm not just blindly 'sticking' with Toronto and would like the totality of my posts to be judged accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:25 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,315,601 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
^^^

No need to get your panties in a knot Steeps... I much prefer Chicago's Victorians to the links you originally posted, they simply aren't my style.. - they look too suburban in nature. I would prefer a city by design like OlD Toronto that is littered with Victorians as opposed to the various styled 'classic' American one's that you posted.. Don't worry, Toronto has some hideously designed homes too, especially when you get outside Old T.O.. This is all opinion right? I would simply like to live in the urbanity of a tightly knit Victorian nabe close to an urban main arterial which abounds aplenty in Old T.O..

No need to bold either - I think everyone knows you prefer Chicago's urbanity by design and probably everything Chicago no probs.. On another note - Toronto is largely built on a grid as well
Oh my ..... wasn't too bad a slight ... just your style I guess I take it you didn't refer to Chicago's Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Bungalows as hideous? they are virtually half the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,456,615 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Oh my ..... wasn't too bad a slight ... just your style I guess I take it you didn't refer to Chicago's Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Bungalows as hideous? they are virtually half the city.
Shoot me I don't like em!! They seriously remind me of all the suburban style residential crap in T.O... I much prefer the more tightly packed and urban Victorian development in both Chi and Tor.. I also like T.O's Edwardian stock as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 03:38 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,315,601 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Shoot me I don't like em!! They seriously remind me of all the suburban style residential crap in T.O... I much prefer the more tightly packed and urban Victorian development in both Chi and Tor.. I also like T.O's Edwardian stock as well.
Well we surely have preferences and who doesn't love a ornate Victorian especially with a nice front garden? Of course I'd chose one over a Chicago Bungalow era home. Even you noted were a AMERICAN design and the fact its varied styles in brick singles in virtually half of a American city. You would see as hideous? Is a bit drastic? After all their set-backs gave a openness that to most taste, make for a good urban living standard, pre-suburban sprawl from the 20s-40s. Most also have garages in back with power lines there, to keep a still walkable open vista out front. That has these neighborhoods hold up well with great craftsmanship built in them also. Viewing the neighborhoods today.
No they are not Victorians..... but to insinuate hideous? Far from it.... for example, to me ...Close-knit tight walled Rows on tiny streets..... are a lower grade choice to me then the American Craftsman Bungalow, on CHICAGO'S homes set-back off the street grid plan. Why it won the poll here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,456,615 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Well we surely have preferences and who doesn't love a ornate Victorian especially with a nice front garden? Of course I'd chose one over a Chicago Bungalow era home. Even you noted were a AMERICAN design and the fact its varied styles in brick singles in virtually half of a American city. You would see as hideous? Is a bit drastic? After all their set-backs gave a openness that to most taste, make for a good urban living standard, pre-suburban sprawl from the 20s-40s. Most also have garages in back with power lines there, to keep a still walkable open vista out front. That has these neighborhoods hold up well with great craftsmanship built in them also. Viewing the neighborhoods today.
No they are not Victorians..... but to insinuate hideous? Far from it.... for example, to me ...Close-knit tight walled Rows on tiny streets..... are a lower grade choice to me then the American Craftsman Bungalow.
Don't take my dislike for this style of housing as a slight against Chicago... I would hate them equally in Toronto

Seriously look at the crap housing that dominates the North York Borough of Toronto (see link below).. I don't see these being much worse than your American style suburban stuff - they're all crap imo... Give me a Toronto/Chi Victorian or a Boston Brownstone ANYDAY!! Plus in T.O normally these Victorians are close to major urban arterials ie the Annex style Vic's and Ed's all close to Bloor or Dundas for example which are amazing urban thoroughfares.

North York | Local House Rentals in Toronto (GTA) | Kijiji Classifieds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 04:08 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,315,601 times
Reputation: 1483
Well we can agree Victorians are the highest valued designs for us.
Like this block⤵ I certainly couldn't afford them in Chicago

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9255...JsuvzqJLUw!2e0

But when I see in the East where I live now. Housing stock of Rows with many times to the sidewalk and little frontage, sometimes none. I appreciate my posted neighborhoods I knew in Chicago when I lived there. Still look great to me for those of us in the middle-class. Giving them in Chicago a open plan I still prefer to Rows. Exception are lovely Victorians and Colonial era Rows. Those Craftsman Bungalows at least have great oak woodworking and a fireplace but are not huge. They are not Suburban sprawl? The lots are 25'x125'. I appreciate even them 50s 60s Modern homes of Pink brick with their Platinum wood-work LOL. They were noteworthy of a era? Perhaps unique to Chicago in block after block of them too.

Last edited by steeps; 12-13-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top