Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city by design?
Toronto 25 19.38%
Chicago 44 34.11%
San Francisco 24 18.60%
Washington DC 36 27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,181,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Gallery Place is about to see an explosion in foot traffic at a level D.C. has never seen on a consistent basis with the opening of City Center DC and the Marriot Convention Center Hotel. It's already live 24/7 but it's about to be on a different level. I want to try to see if there is a foot count once all that stuff is open and functioning.
I wonder how vibrant the Pennsylvania Ave/Freedom Plaza area in Downtown will be once Trump completes turning the Old Post Office Pavilion into a 'Trump Washington' luxury hotel. Btw, I'm also excited with the fact that one of the hotels at CityCenterDC will be a Conrad!!! Can't wait to check out their bars. The Conrad in New York City was spectacular!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
on this topic which Times Squarish area is more vibrant the Toronto or DC incarnation

And do any have an area as pedestrian heavy an area as union square area say like Powell to Market, to me Chicago is pretty close in some areas and DC a little behind cant comment on Toronto really but seems pretty vibrant based on what I can tell

I know Toronto the least the others pretty well
From the look of vids, the Dundas Square/Yonge Street area seems very vibrant to me.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah Toronto in general has my favorite design, in general is my favorite city of the four (Toronto, Chicago, San Francisco, and Washington).

It has a pretty monstrous cityscape. From certain angles will look very prolonged and very dense. The expressways/highways/freeways are also built to the most modern and efficient scale of these cities.

The streetscape is very crowded and busy, the city is centralized yet decentralized (North York in the foreground, Downtown in the background), the city has a large and efficient streetcar network, the city is built for pedestrian ease, roadways are developed around immensely, subways are kept clean and sleek, special events are integrated into the streetlife, nature and recreation rests closely to the urban core, squares like Nathan Philips and YD are integrated near commercial lifelines, the lakefront is enormous and usable for several boating, jet skiing, wake boarding like activities. The city is not a stranger to live street entertainment.

Crocher woods. Urban canyons. Chinatown. Autumn embroidery. Rain on King and Spadina. Day time rush. The integration of a diverse culinary scene. The urban grit and character. Bloor Station. Downtown Toronto's day aerial. The urban culture of a skyscraper city. Yonge Street. Up close of the Scarborough Bluffs. The urban chaos of traffic in the big city. Queen West. The everyday transit crowd. Wallace Avenue. The East Side. Don Valley near Todmorden Mills. Long weekend on the lakes. Frank Gehry designed stairway.

Toronto as seen from the Toronto islands at night.

Toronto integrates sculptures and every facet of urban life very well, it has a decent amount of natural recreating abound, and the urban area is the densest urban area between United States and Canada.
Wow, that's one helluva lovely city you guys up in Toronto have

Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,466,814 times
downtown- Chicago
citywide- San Francisco

Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,800,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Wow, that's one helluva lovely city you guys up in Toronto have
Thanks! I was recently in your State (Not far from Frederick) and I know its only an 8.5 hour drive from you so you can be up here in a breeze this summer

Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
For those that haven't been to Toronto and want to see more than just skyscrapers. Here's the design of the city integrated with street life, architecture, history, urban parks, grit/character, squares, natural environment, commercial corridors, and festivals/parades/live street entertainment.

Toronto:

Bloor Street: One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven.

Casa Loma, began construction in 1911 and was completed in 1914, was built for Sir Henry Mill Pellatt. One. Two. Three.

Secret tunnelway to the Stables. The Stables. The Garden. View from Casa Loma..

The Distillary District: One. Two. Three. Four.

The Legislature Building: One. Two. Three.Queens Park.

Kensington Market: Public art. Public art/grit and character. Bazaar. Festival of Lights (Kensington Market).

Old City Hall. The density of CBD. Saint Lawrence area. Saint Lawrence Market. Buskerfest in Saint Lawrence. Street level of Yonge Street. Continuation of Yonge Street. Yonge between Queen and Bloor. Toronto Life Square. Luminato at YD.

The Princess Gates were established by Edward, the Price of Wales to mark the 60th year anniversary/birthday of Canada. One. Two.
Three. The Exhibition Ground. Opening of Toronto International Film Festival at the Exhibition Ground. Caribana at the Exhibition Ground. Beaches on Lake Ontario. Continuation of beaches on Lake Ontario.

Lantern Festival on Lake Ontario: One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six.

High Park: One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight.

Cabbagetown: One. Two. Three.

Allen Lambert Galleria: One. Two. Three.

One. Two. Three.

The subway. The (newly renovated) Museum Station. The platform. Union Station. Chinatown. Chinatown at night.

Zombie walk: One. Two. Three. Four.

Elgin Theater and Yonge Street: One. Two. Three. Four. Five.

Boating at night in Lake Ontario overlooking the city. Continuation of the view from Lake Ontario. The crowds at YD. The Princess Gates (again). Downtown Toronto (at street level). Blurred vision. Nightscape. The listening centre. Ice cold drinks in an ice cold atmosphere. Indigo, the typical hipster locale. Christmas on Yonge Street. Queen Street afternoon. Performance at Saint Agnew. The ROM. Osgoode Hall. Old Cabbagetown. When Yonge twists and turns. Ice skating at night in Nathan Philips. Black and white streetscape. Caught exiting the subway for street level. When it's cold and people start walking in the middle of the road. Black and white panorama. The Gardiner Expressway. Ironic sales of private under public art. Detroit-like in deep context. Black and white aerial. The canyon twists and keeps on going. Gardiner again. Of course these are common transportation methods. The general traffic flow. Going inland. Black and white street level Downtown Toronto. Massey Hall. Reverse commute. Cherry blossoms. Long range street grid lights. The east. Those pot smoking hippies. Downtown in light and darkness. The rooftops. The marina. Autumn yellows. Urban park system. Condo canyon. Biking through the abandoned tunnels. Wall to wall. Gooderham & Worts. Gooderham again. Blurry and misty night. Red light in the sky. Subways are not wheelchair accessible. When Lake Ontario curves while you drive along it. Abandoned steel. Morning jog. Wellington Street. Graffiti under the bridge. Elevated subway. Two separate stores under one roof and no wall. Contemplation of the view? Single family density. Black and white street lights. Dundas and Spadina. Pedestrian Sundays, dancing in the streets. Alley in the winter. Late night vendor. Single family. Cherry blossoms in High Park. Legal sanctuary. YD panorama. Old York Lane in Yorkville. Sugar Beach.

Graveyard of bikes. Graveyard of old 1990's tech. Being watched. Abandoned shaft. It's like seeing the Matrix.

Fin.

In a nutshell, a small sample of Toronto for those that haven't seen it yet.
Now I REALLY want to visit TO!! Spectacular pics CL

Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 PM

13,715 posts, read 15,670,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I wonder how vibrant the Pennsylvania Ave/Freedom Plaza area in Downtown will be once Trump completes turning the Old Post Office Pavilion into a 'Trump Washington' luxury hotel. Btw, I'm also excited with the fact that one of the hotels at CityCenterDC will be a Conrad!!! Can't wait to check out their bars. The Conrad in New York City was spectacular!!
Don't forget the FBI complex redevelopment into a residential mixed use project similar to the City Center DC project. The project proposals had over 1,000 units in their highrise development proposals. It will be interesting to see what the development community actually comes up with.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No city is going to be everything to everyone... I guess that is the beauty of everyone having different tastes and preferences. In either case, I've been to Chicago and am obviously from Toronto and there are elements of each that I prefer over the other. Same could be said of S.F and D.C as well (I've been to all four cities)... now if we just amalgamated the four - that would be THE best city in the world
Now that would be awesome!!! I'll be one of the first new citizens to this new megalopolis

Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Thanks! I was recently in your State (Not far from Frederick) and I know its only an 8.5 hour drive from you so you can be up here in a breeze this summer
Now that sounds really compelling. Air travel would be obviously be quicker but I am interested in a road trip! How's the summertime atmosphere in Toronto? Btw, glad you came down to visit my state I haven't visit Frederick yet but it looks like a nice small city with a cute downtown area.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Don't forget the FBI complex redevelopment into a residential mixed use project similar to the City Center DC project. The project proposals had over 1,000 units in their highrise development proposals. It will be interesting to see what the development community actually comes up with.
That would be interesting. I'm also glad that the development boom in DC doesn't end in Downtown but includes the nearby and outer neighborhoods too. Looking forward to McMillan, Buzzard Point, SW EcoDistrict, The Wharf expansion, and the new 11th Street Bridge recreation plan the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City