Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city by design?
Toronto 25 19.38%
Chicago 44 34.11%
San Francisco 24 18.60%
Washington DC 36 27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Now that sounds really compelling. Air travel would be obviously be quicker but I am interested in a road trip! How's the summertime atmosphere in Toronto? Btw, glad you came down to visit my state I haven't visit Frederick yet but it looks like a nice small city with a cute downtown area.
Air Travel is quicker but I love road trips and it was beautiful driving through the Appalachians. I actually visited Antietam (Civil War buff) and Harpers Ferry (Ok its in WV but just borders Maryland) so I only drove through Frederick.

Toronto has a great atmosphere in the summer, particularly if you like festivals.. This year Toronto is hosting Worldpride so it'll be crazy here last week of June.. If you prefer a Carribean flaired festival is - Caribana would be a great time to come first week of August. Buskerfest is another great festival that happens last week of August which is basically a massive street festival with various busker performers along Canada's busiest street.

Obviously the weather is nice to so its just a great time to explore the attractions and nabe's.. If you are able to come post in the Toronto section of CD and you'll get a lot of feedback and recommendations!

Time to start putting that Passport to good use....Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Air Travel is quicker but I love road trips and it was beautiful driving through the Appalachians. I actually visited Antietam (Civil War buff) and Harpers Ferry (Ok its in WV but just borders Maryland) so I only drove through Frederick.

Toronto has a great atmosphere in the summer, particularly if you like festivals.. This year Toronto is hosting Worldpride so it'll be crazy here last week of June.. If you prefer a Carribean flaired festival is - Caribana would be a great time to come first week of August. Buskerfest is another great festival that happens last week of August which is basically a massive street festival with various busker performers along Canada's busiest street.

Obviously the weather is nice to so its just a great time to explore the attractions and nabe's.. If you are able to come post in the Toronto section of CD and you'll get a lot of feedback and recommendations!

Time to start putting that Passport to good use....Cheers!
Those festivals sound nice, especially Caribana! Hmmm, curious, what often goes on up in TO from say late September to early October? My birthday is during the last week of September and I'm interested in traveling again shortly after I turn 22. I did New York in 2012 and LA last year. I've been thinking about doing San Diego or the San Francisco Bay Area or go back to LA again this year but this thread has gotten me pretty fascinated with Toronto.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
That would be interesting. I'm also glad that the development boom in DC doesn't end in Downtown but includes the nearby and outer neighborhoods too. Looking forward to McMillan, Buzzard Point, SW EcoDistrict, The Wharf expansion, and the new 11th Street Bridge recreation plan the most.
What about the Walter Reed development? St. Elizabeth development? Poplar Point development? Somehow, the entire city is under construction or will be. It's pretty crazy.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Fair enough and everyone is entitled to their preference in cuisine so lol.. I provided more than just subjective opinion hence my link (which really isn't definitive either). Besides I'm well aware of your affinity for Quebec
Hrm. Well, your link has two great Montreal restaurants that seem to have more recommendations from other chefs than any other (because those two are amazing) while there seems to be a typo in the article where both Boulud and Grand Electric are listed twice. It's not just the high end which makes Montreal better though--it seems across the board. Montreal also has more interesting regional dishes. Just what it is. I do like Quebec, though I don't reckon myself ever having the sort of affinity you have for Toronto.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What about the Walter Reed development? St. Elizabeth development? Poplar Point development? Somehow, the entire city is under construction or will be. It's pretty crazy.
I like those as well, I was just highlighting some of most favorite projects.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
The fact of the matter is most people in North American cities don't eat at Michelin ranked or Chef driven restaurants. When it comes to cuisine, most people aren't you Edward - that is a fact! So for you and the small minority of people like you, perhaps Chicago and S.F are better foodie cities, but for the majority the average restaurant that the vast majority of residents and tourists go to could be the great equalizer!
Oh I know that, which is why cities are so littered with chain restaurants and mediocre places to eat. It doesn't mean we should not applaud cities who push the envelope past the norm.

Quote:
Perhaps Michelin should come up to Toronto!! Wondering when the last time they were here...? I could be wrong but I can't find one - not one single Michelin starred restaurant in not just Toronto but all of Canada. I kind of find that very hard to believe that Canada doesn't have any restaurants worthy.. Does Michelin even know the country exists...??
That is not how the Michelin guides work. I would say off the top of my head Toronto has a few restaurants which would garner a 1 or 2 star rating if Michelin decided to publish a guide for Toronto, but I can't name one restaurant which would garner a 3 star ranking. That is where the problem lies, there are many cities which have places worthy of a Michelin star, but you need a complete scene from top to bottom (3 star to Bib Gourmand) to be worthy of having your own guide. Toronto may have one or two restaurants at the 2 star level at most (And I am being very generous here), which is not enough for Michelin to deem your city worthy a guide.

On the other hand Chicago and SF have guides and have cemented themselves as cities that will not lose that status for a LONG time.

Quote:
Not in Toronto.. but why isn't Eigensinn Farm Michelin ranked? I find rankings like these incredibly subjective and on a foundation of jello if they aren't aware or even judge Eigensinn.

Eigensinn Farm Restaurant Reviews, Singhampton, Canada - TripAdvisor
The Michelin group absolutely knows about EF. But since Toronto does not have a guide, it will not get a star. That is how it works.

I find it strange that you want to even have this argument. You admittedly have said that food is not an interest of yours, so why would you care?

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 04-24-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I do like Quebec, though I don't reckon myself ever having the sort of affinity you have for Toronto.
I have an affinity for a lot of cities... Toronto and Montreal as well as NYC, S.F, Istanbul and Bangkok.. I speak more about Toronto because I know more about it. Seems to make sense no? If you ask me what my favourite 3 cities are in the world - Toronto isn't one of them even though it is home.. Having said that, if I think someone has made a bogus claim about the city, is being in my opinion or observation unfair about it, since I am most familiar with it than I will respond. Common sense really

Last edited by fusion2; 04-24-2014 at 05:38 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Those festivals sound nice, especially Caribana! Hmmm, curious, what often goes on up in TO from say late September to early October? My birthday is during the last week of September and I'm interested in traveling again shortly after I turn 22. I did New York in 2012 and LA last year. I've been thinking about doing San Diego or the San Francisco Bay Area or go back to LA again this year but this thread has gotten me pretty fascinated with Toronto.
Will have to look that up for ya and let you know. Things start winding down festival wise but nevertheless, it is still a great time to come just to experience the city and the weather is still agreeable! Don't forget Niagara Falls is close by Toronto. If you've never been to S.F than i'd say flip a coin between Toronto and S.F... my feeling is you have to visit both of them at some point in time!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

I find it strange that you want to even have this argument. You admittedly have said that food is not an interest of yours, so why would you care?
You keep bringing up food lol.. this tread is about best design and low and behold you always go towards food and restaurants... its your passion not mine - true but since you always bring it up in threads its not even linked to - it is open season to respond and bring my own perspective to it.. that's all. You made the claim that Montreal is a better food city than Toronto. I countered that there are more restaurants in Toronto that make the best restaurants list in Canada than Montreal as per Chefs.. I also get a feel for where the wind is blowing.. Having said that, for some it doesn't matter where wind is blowing or what is happening - a view cemented in the past is a view that is always accepted for infinity.

If you want to drop the food discussion I will do so - in reality 95 percent of the population could give a darn about chef driven restaurants as well so nobody would be missing the discussion.

Well maybe Oycrumbler but since when has he ever said anything positive about Toronto..

Last edited by fusion2; 04-24-2014 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 05:41 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
You made the claim that Montreal is a better food city than Toronto. I countered that there are more restaurants in Toronto that make the best restaurants list in Canada than Montreal as per Chefs.
Does that not mean that you started this ridiculous back and forth?

I was posting to someone about Chicago and in the post it was mixed with development of apartments in a specific neighborhood and how the restaurants came before the apartment units which was interesting to me.

Then you interjected. Which you are entitled to do, this is a message board afterall.

But dont get on me, you started it homie! BTW, I just got back from Montreal, the food was absolutely fuc*ing incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City