U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,225,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC is no slouch when it comes to outdoor activities. You can literally get lost in Rock Creek Park. The city offers an abundance of hiking and bike trails stretching from Hagerstown to Mt. Vernon, canoeing and rock climbling on the Potomac. Plus 60 museums in a two mile area, National Zoo, National Arboretum, Botanical Garden, etc...
"No slouch" is relative. This is hard to top.

Griffith Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,569,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you're going to make $300K, then why not pick New York City?

If it's because of the cold winters, then you need to scratch DC as well.
DC winters are mild compared to NYC. It basically sits right on the snow line.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,594,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

Griffith Park
Damn. Gorgeous picture.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:56 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC is no slouch when it comes to outdoor activities. You can literally get lost in Rock Creek Park. The city offers an abundance of hiking and bike trails stretching from Hagerstown to Mt. Vernon, canoeing and rock climbling on the Potomac. Plus 60 museums in a two mile area, National Zoo, National Arboretum, Botanical Garden, etc...
+1 Exactly. Also, Meridian Hill Park aka Malcolm X Park in Adams Morgan is also another great place to chill and a nice respite from DC's fast-pacedness. And of course, some of the community-related activities that takes place there There's also a visit to the lovely Oceanside towns and villages over on the Eastern Shore here in Maryland and gorgeous Assateague Island with its splendid wild beaches and the only-in-Maryland rare wild ponies!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
FWIW, I had a meeting at Two California Plaza last month, and I if I were you, I would--without a doubt--move to L.A., especially if you're good-looking, fit, and well-dressed.

Compared to people in Dallas and D.C., people in L.A. are fitter, better-looking, more laid back, and easier to live around. They're just "cooler," shall we say.

I found people in Dallas, where I lived for a year in the recent past, to be rather arrogant, pretentious, and curt. Needles to say, I didn't find people there to be nearly as friendly as they were purported to be. They don't really like people from "up North," but not as much as people from, say, Atlanta or Charlotte.

From a long-term/settling down perspective, be advised that property taxes (a primary source of revenue for The State of Texas) and homeowners insurance (lots of things can destroy your home in Texas) are very high. Upkeep (most homes in Texas are big) and utilities (heat + air for most months of the year) are also very high. Auto insurance (bad drivers) is high. While produce is more expensive than in L.A., beef is less expensive, but I don't eat red meat, so ya. Cheap gasoline prices are offset by very high tolls (~$1,000-$1,200 if you live in a suburb and commute downtown every day). Bad roads for a new-ish city, too--nothing like Phoenix, Orlando, Orange County, etc.

D.C. is very cold in the winter compared to Dallas and especially L.A. It's also just as expensive as L.A., but without the redeeming qualities of L.A. (e.g., weather, scenery, culture, people, location, etc.). Of course, Dallas has none of the redeeming qualities of L.A., but that does without saying.

Like you, history really doesn't do anything for me, as I grew up around a lot of it in New England. It certainly doesn't pay the bills. That's why L.A. should work for you.
People in DC are very fit as well. A lot of people here in the DMV take exercising pretty seriously at times. And regardless of the seasons, there's not a single day in DC where you don't see joggers, bikers, runners, rowers, etc. out and about. It's one of the most fittest cities in America.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:02 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

Griffith Park
Places like that are the exception and not the rule. I'm sure that by "no slouch" he meant that DC has a satisfactory amount and quality of outdoor recreation for most people, and I'm sure he's right.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,561,310 times
I think the previous poster means that places like Pasadena and Ventura are less expensive than Loss Angeles, because I am pretty sure they both have a higher COL than Dallas. Also, Ventura isn't a suburb of LA, just a mid sized city located 50+ miles away.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
People in DC are very fit as well. A lot of people here in the DMV take exercising pretty seriously at times. And regardless of the seasons, there's not a single day in DC where you don't see joggers, bikers, runners, rowers, etc. out and about. It's one of the most fittest cities in America.
I wasn't saying that there aren't fit people in DC. Obviously people work out. My point was that LA has some truly exceptional outdoor activities in LA. DC has the bare minimum. DC has places you can jog, places you can bike, places you can row, etc, but there's not much in the way of inspiring scenery or challenging terrain. Its not DC's fault, its just the topography. There's a gentle grade from NE and NW DC down to the Potomac and Anacostia, but that's it. LA literally has mountain ranges that cut through the middle of the city.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,828,331 times
Based on the OP criteria it would be LA.

DC is without doubt a prestige city even more so than Boston IMHO. I love DC personally but it doesn't seem to fit what the OP is looking for. DC is a city that is filled with educated career oriented people, which I don't see as a bad thing at all. DC fast pace of life may not be for you.

Dallas could work for you being that it is full of midwest natives and has a vibe that is kind of midwestern. COL is no secret that Dallas is cheaper than the other two cities. Dallas has hot summers but overall I still would say the weather is better than anything in the midwest.

LA is more of a live and let live place. LA has the most to offer in terms of things to do and top that off with awesome weather. LA pretty much has it all and then some. It is the most exciting city out of the three by far!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Places like that are the exception and not the rule.
I would disagree. Urban hiking opportunities abound here, not just in Griffith Park:

Runyon Canyon
Sandstone Peak
Eaton Canyon
Palos Verdes Cliffs
Franklin Canyon
Staircase Streets through Echo Park
Beachwood Canyon
Will Rogers State Park
Solstice Canyon
Elysian Park

As do bike/jogging paths:

Ballona Creek Path
LA River Bike Path
The Strand

Sorry but its not even close. And I'm speaking from experience: I've lived in both places: DC for 6 years and LA for 5 so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or