U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 10:37 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,225,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+1 Exactly. Also, Meridian Hill Park aka Malcolm X Park in Adams Morgan is also another great place to chill and a nice respite from DC's fast-pacedness. And of course, some of the community-related activities that takes place there There's also a visit to the lovely Oceanside towns and villages over on the Eastern Shore here in Maryland and gorgeous Assateague Island with its splendid wild beaches and the only-in-Maryland rare wild ponies!
C'mon now...Assateague Island is 2.5 hours away if you don't get stuck in terrible traffic on that bridge over the Bay. If we're including places 2.5 hours from LA, I could throw these in:

Joshua Tree National Park
Sequoia National Park
Mojave National Preserve
Indian Canyon
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 10:37 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I meant that it's the exception compared to most parks in the US. When that other person said that DC was "no slouch", he was saying that the options there would be acceptable for most (that is what that phrase implies, in case you weren't aware). Your average person certainly isn't complaining about the lack of mountains alongside their favorite jogging trail.

Quote:
Sorry but its not even close. And I'm speaking from experience: I've lived in both places: DC for 6 years and LA for 5 so far.
You have nothing to apologize for, as neither I or anyone else here suggested that it was close.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
^^^I've been meaning to go hiking. Some of these spots I haven't been to before, so thanks for the heads up! Gotta do some hiking, camping, beach days/bon fire days this summer.... God I Love LA.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 PM

15 posts, read 20,018 times
Thanks for all of the help so far. It seems like there is a lot of love for LA. Although I don't believe in saving(a really complicated equation based on inflation) I would be able to save 40k+ in Dallas vs 25k in DC and LA. The tax structure in CA in also very concerning for me. I don't want to give up 50% of my income and live in a area where any house with a big yard would cost 2 mil+. Its amazing aside from that. My perfect nightlife would be weekend centered, sports bar Sundays, rooftop/lounge Saturday night, and nice restaurant w/ a good bar Fridays. Hiking golf and basketball are my 3 favorite activities.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
DC.

Good nightlife scene plus you are close to Nyc.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
^^^I've been meaning to go hiking. Some of these spots I haven't been to before, so thanks for the heads up! Gotta do some hiking, camping, beach days/bon fire days this summer.... God I Love LA.
We try to pick a new place to hike at least a couple times a month. This is where we went this past Sunday- Vasquez Rocks:

It was a little further out- 45 minute drive from Downtown LA, but seeing the rock formations was well worth it. Apparently they filmed a ton of Star Trek episodes and other science fiction there - its a good stand-in for another planet.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM

135 posts, read 138,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceafterlunch View Post
My perfect nightlife would be weekend centered, sports bar Sundays, rooftop/lounge Saturday night, and nice restaurant w/ a good bar Fridays. Hiking golf and basketball are my 3 favorite activities.
On that note, I would go to Dallas. Call it a hunch.

And one last note - it is oft remarked that DC is Hollywood for ugly people. Having lived several years in both........ I agree.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,676,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
We try to pick a new place to hike at least a couple times a month. This is where we went this past Sunday- Vasquez Rocks:

It was a little further out- 45 minute drive from Downtown LA, but seeing the rock formations was well worth it. Apparently they filmed a ton of Star Trek episodes and other science fiction there - its a good stand-in for another planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp2FYK5ybB8

Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Haha YES!!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
Nice pics... Don't forget about Kenneth Hahn Park. Easily the most underrated park in Los Angeles. Great hiking trails with views of DTLA on one side and the ocean on the other. It's about 15 min from my place in Mid-City so I go there often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or