U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,225,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Nice pics... Don't forget about Kenneth Hahn Park. Easily the most underrated park in Los Angeles. Great hiking trails with views of DTLA on one side and the ocean on the other. It's about 15 min from my place in Mid-City so I go there often.
I've been there a couple times but I need to go back again with my new zoom lens. You're right...amazing views of DLTA - and from a side you normally don't see.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM

2,100 posts, read 2,756,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sounds like DC is hands down the best option. It's got a young, fast paced culture with a big intellectual vibe that LA and Dallas simply don't have.
You are kidding -- Intellectual vibe in DC? More like robotic and stale vibe. LA is the best option no doubt.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,997,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
You are kidding -- Intellectual vibe in DC? More like robotic and stale vibe. LA is the best option no doubt.
Lol name five first hand examples to back up your premise about DC.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,594,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I've been there a couple times but I need to go back again with my new zoom lens. You're right...amazing views of DLTA - and from a side you normally don't see.
Thanks for the heads up on those links. I haven't been to some of those hiking locations.

You also can't forget Topanga State Park. That place also has some awesome hiking trials, and I love the drive up there via the PCH.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 PM

249 posts, read 308,010 times
Move to NYC.

DC is a good second choice.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
People on here are underrating the kinds of outdoor activities available within a reasonable driving distance of Washington, D.C.:

- Kayaking, boating and cruises on the Potomac River

- Sailing on the Chesapeake Bay

- Hiking and rock climbing in Great Falls, Sugarloaf mountain and Catoctin mountains in Maryland and Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia

- Horseback riding in several places

- Rafting in West Virginia

- Hershey theme park and skiing in southern Pennsylvania

- Balloon, biplane, sailplane rides and skydiving in several places

- Parasailing, jet skiing and other watersports in Ocean City

- Plus, lots of parks, creeks, lakes, farms, wineries, etc.

This is just a sampling. There is no lack of things to do in the mid-Atlantic region.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:25 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,756,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol name five first hand examples to back up your premise about DC.
Haha -- give me one reason as to why DC is intellectual? First thing I think of when I think of DC are political preppy dumba**es

Old 04-25-2014, 01:26 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,225,996 times
Quote:
Haha -- give me one reason as to why DC is intellectual? First thing I think of when I think of DC are political preppy dumba**es
Former DC resident, current LA resident. On the whole, DC is far more of an intellectual city, and no- its just just politician, lawyer types. Think about all the non-profits that locate in DC to be close to the federal government where they get their bacon. I'll have to dig up the stat but I'm almost positive that DC has the highest percentage of residents with masters degrees in the country.

Not that you can't find intellectually stimulating conversations in LA. You obviously can. This is one of the most artistic cities in the world, we have educational institutions like CalTech, USC, and UCLA, not to mention world class museums, a thriving tech-community, and tons of very smart engineer types over at SpaceX and JPL.

But lets not kid ourselves...there's a lot of uneducated a-holes here too. I'm reminded of that every time my wife and I try to see a movie at the LA Live Regal on a Friday or Saturday night. Its an army of the stupids. But we still punish ourselves because its walking distance and its cheaper than the Arclight.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,997,146 times
Quote:
You answered my question with a question. Which proves your just yapping. It's ok I'll give u a trolling pass.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:26 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
But lets not kid ourselves...there's a lot of uneducated a-holes here too. I'm reminded of that every time my wife and I try to see a movie at the LA Live Regal on a Friday or Saturday night. Its an army of the stupids.
And that opinion based on personal interviews? SAT scores? CVs? Regardless, you keep inserting yourself in a crowd that makes you uncomfortable; you can't claim a deferment from that army of stupid.

By American standards, we've got our fair share of tools. I know a few folks who run non-profits, but I don't know how many sound engineers I'd run into in DC. But putting unnecessary generalizations aside, are you really claiming there is a shortage of interesting people here such that it appreciably limits opportunity for rewarding interaction?

Last edited by nslander; 04-25-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or