Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM

15 posts, read 23,769 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I am graduating college this may and have a job offer that lets me pick my city. My job is with a large consulting firm so I will be out of town mon-thurs. I am looking for a city with good weekend nightlife, young/fast paced culture, and well read/educated. I will be making good money with high salary potential, at least 300k by 30. I like these 3 cities because they are growing quickly with diverse industries but am open to other suggestions. I am not a big fan of winter, but grew up in the midwest, so I am used to it. I am also looking for dating opportunities in the city. Not to sound arrogant, but I am fairly good looking, well dressed, and well read and want the same in the women in my city. I am significantly more attracted to conversation than partying. With that said, I would like a young culture who aren't afraid to go out all weekend. I cannot stand staying home, hence why I took a traveling job, so I want a culture of people who will flock to bars and restaurants on the weekends. Work hard, play hard. I don't really want a place that is prestige oriented like Boston, I focus on the present and future, history bores me. I think Dallas is good because it is very cheap and livable long term, especially for a city that is growing rapidly. Los Angeles is good because the location is unbelievable with great weather and hiking trails. D.C. has the east coast mindset and is highly political (which I like because of the great conversation it brings). Overall, I want to have a city that is fun and full of variety that I can abuse for the net 15 years. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,674,548 times
LA. It's not even close.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,914,758 times
Sounds like DC is hands down the best option. It's got a young, fast paced culture with a big intellectual vibe that LA and Dallas simply don't have.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:08 PM

27,484 posts, read 28,557,853 times
If you're going to make $300K, then why not pick New York City?

If it's because of the cold winters, then you need to scratch DC as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,674,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sounds like DC is hands down the best option. It's got a young, fast paced culture with a big intellectual vibe that LA and Dallas simply don't have.
Have you ever lived in the DC area? My guess us that you haven't.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 PM

15 posts, read 23,769 times
I love NYC even though its cold, but the rent is too expensive for living there 10 days per month. I'll also be there a lot on business which allows me to stay there on weekends for free as long as it is cheaper than the plane ticket home and back.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,143,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Have you ever lived in the DC area? My guess us that you haven't.
LA doesn't have a fast paced, educated culture!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,680,582 times
Dallas is cheaper than LA and DC but I wouldn't call it "cheap". If you like more urban cities, DC. If you are ok with urban sprawl, go LA. I like DC's bar scene better than LA. However, LA has more things to do. I'd probably choose LA.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:24 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,223,058 times
LA without question. Although I love the vibe of Dallas and like DC as well but all things considered they work hard like everywhere else. But they play so much harder, even moreso than NYC.

Last edited by Taynxtlvl; 04-17-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 04:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,551,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceafterlunch View Post
Hi all
I am graduating college this may and have a job offer that lets me pick my city. My job is with a large consulting firm so I will be out of town mon-thurs. I am looking for a city with good weekend nightlife, young/fast paced culture, and well read/educated. I will be making good money with high salary potential, at least 300k by 30. I like these 3 cities because they are growing quickly with diverse industries but am open to other suggestions. I am not a big fan of winter, but grew up in the midwest, so I am used to it. I am also looking for dating opportunities in the city. Not to sound arrogant, but I am fairly good looking, well dressed, and well read and want the same in the women in my city. I am significantly more attracted to conversation than partying. With that said, I would like a young culture who aren't afraid to go out all weekend. I cannot stand staying home, hence why I took a traveling job, so I want a culture of people who will flock to bars and restaurants on the weekends. Work hard, play hard. I don't really want a place that is prestige oriented like Boston, I focus on the present and future, history bores me. I think Dallas is good because it is very cheap and livable long term, especially for a city that is growing rapidly. Los Angeles is good because the location is unbelievable with great weather and hiking trails. D.C. has the east coast mindset and is highly political (which I like because of the great conversation it brings). Overall, I want to have a city that is fun and full of variety that I can abuse for the net 15 years. Thanks in advance for the help.
I've never responded to one of these inquiries, but based on the bulk of your stated criteria, Los Angeles. Work hard, play hard and suck the marrow out of it.

Recent college graduate who likes to discuss politics with strangers, reminds me of someone. I've long since learned to reserve discussing politics only with friends & associates, many of whom are friends and associates as a direct consequence of shared political advocacy. Beyond that, I usually talk partisan sausage-making only with foreign visitors I’ll never see again. DC is a fertile place to comment generally on political theater, but it also attracts those with that peculiar proclivity of name-dropping politicos, which is every bit as pathetic as their Hollywood equivalent. Of all the priorities you identified, this is the most likely candidate to fade, and perhaps replaced by a desire that your neighbors share your political & social values, as reflected in voting habits and more direct political activism. I cede the orange crate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City