Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Land Lock Cities Growing Faster Then Ocean Side Cities?
Yes 28 65.12%
No 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:56 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times

Advertisements

I always wonder why people all ways assume just because a city is not by the ocean and are land lock as they say doing better in population growth then L.A.,NYC,Chicago?
I have notice these cities Dallas,Atlanta and Austin growth rate in Metro Area is growing at a faster rate.
The water supply maybe a reason but the cities do have enough money to build lakes to serve there population or we would see declines in these particular cities.I am not knockin these other cities but I always see them saying that this city is land lock or that city is land lock thats why it doesn't have what we have or grow like we grow really!

I would like to get your input on this topic thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 AM

409 posts, read 587,313 times
Geez, never knew that Chicago was on an ocean. The things you learn on C-D.

And Houston, which is on an ocean, has the fastest numerical growth of any metro in the U.S. How does that square with your theory?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:20 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Geez, never knew that Chicago was on an ocean. The things you learn on C-D.

And Houston, which is on an ocean, has the fastest numerical growth of any metro in the U.S. How does that square with your theory?
Houston isn't exactly on an ocean. It is, however, about 50 miles from The Gulf of Mexico.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM

409 posts, read 587,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Houston isn't exactly on an ocean. It is, however, about 50 miles from The Gulf of Mexico.
The Gulf of Mexico is part of the Ocean. Give me a break already. And Houston metro area is directly on the Gulf of Mexico, there is no "50 miles" to the gulf.

If you want to be that hyper-technical, then we can say that Tokyo, or New York, or Hong Kong aren't on the ocean, because they are in protected harbors, not the open ocean.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 AM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Houston/Galveston area has about 100 miles of Gulf beaches to enjoy not to mention the 2nd or 3rd busiest port in the country which has a turning basin just a few miles east of downtown Houston. You can enjoy the sunny beaches, deep sea fishing, sailing, cruise line vacations to the Caribbean, great FRESH seafood in the Houston area. Houston is far from being "land locked". Anywhere you are in the metro you are only an hour or so from the coast at the most and if you choose you can live seaside or bayside directly on the water...

Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
LOL Chicago...ocean?

Last edited by JMT; 05-06-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I always wonder why people all ways assume just because a city is not by the ocean and are land lock as they say doing better in population growth then L.A.,NYC,Chicago?
I have notice these cities Dallas,Atlanta and Austin growth rate in Metro Area is growing at a faster rate.
The water supply maybe a reason but the cities do have enough money to build lakes to serve there population or we would see declines in these particular cities.I am not knockin these other cities but I always see them saying that this city is land lock or that city is land lock thats why it doesn't have what we have or grow like we grow really!

I would like to get your input on this topic thanks!!
My input??

I refuse to answer a question that classifies Chicago as an "oceanside city"

I apologize if I seem rude, but anyone who has that little geographic knowledge should not be taken seriously.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:32 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
No need to crucify the guy because he didn't address Houston.

To answer your question OP - yes, as a general rule, the majority of the cities and metros with "booming" rates of population growth are in inland areas currently. Notably exceptions (in addition to Houson of course) include the Bay Area, Seattle, Miami (possibly?) and some of the other Florida cities. Most other cities along the coast are seeing far more modest rates of population growth. The simple answer is that most of the coastal cities/metros are already mature and/or have large populations so massive growth rates normally aren't sustainable. It doesn't mean coastal cities aren't growing, but it's just not as pronounced as it is in smaller cities. i.e. when the New York metro adds 500,000 people the percentages aren't going to be as impressive as when say the Charlotte metro adds 500,000 people.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Landlocked cities are growing rapidly because of class divide. More people are getting poorer, so they have to move to the dirt cheap inland landlocked land because they can't afford the coast.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Landlocked cities are growing rapidly because of class divide. More people are getting poorer, so they have to move to the dirt cheap inland landlocked land because they can't afford the coast.
This is true for places down south in the Sun Belt, but this doesn't apply to the majority of the landlocked Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City