Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 AM

403 posts, read 666,552 times

Advertisements

Cities that are overrated (this isn't in any order, and I won't do full reviews on them):

1. New York City-I'm not trolling with this one (or with any of them). I bet that a ton on here choose to hate on this city since it's the most populated and is often well regarded (which I don't hate it at all). I personally love New York City, but I've never thought of it as the best city in the United States of America. I give it an 8.5/10 (I prefer London which is similar).
2. Chicago-I give it a 6.5/10 as I find it to be enjoyable to spend 2-3 days there, but I can find better entertainment/food in a better environment anyday.
3. Atlanta-Again, it's not bad, but I'd never want to live there. It's fun to spend a weekend in, but it's not as entertaining as some make it out to be in my opinion. 6/10 for this one.
4. Washington D.C.: I enjoyed being near the White House and the museums, but it was too dense in my opinion. 7/10.
5. Minneapolis/St. Paul-I actually never have cared for the twin cities. 4/10

Underrated (I will explain why if asked):

1. St. Louis, Missouri
2. San Antonio, Texas
3. Buffalo, New York
4. Fargo, North Dakota
5. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
6. Cleveland, Ohio
7. New Orleans, Louisiana (I was impressed with this place expecting it to be just an ordinary bigger city, but it was beyond that. I recommend trying Beignets if anybody hasn't tried them by the way).
8. Mobile, Alabama
9. Helena, Montana
10. Boise, Idaho
11. Santa Fe, New Mexico (it's a gorgeous city)
12. Reno, Nevada
13. Salem, Oregon
14. Little Rock, Arkansas
15. Memphis, Tennessee (compared to Nashville)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Umm....walking away from this one now just based on what you said in the first part of your post.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Clearly the OP hasn't been to Chicago. And if they have, they never left the Navy Pier or the Loop. Chicago gets a vote from me because it's arguably one of the best food cities in the country. Not only is it massive and incredibly diverse (which makes for an incredible variety of cuisine), but it's close to being on par (some would argue that it IS on par) with San Francisco, LA, and NYC as far as new chefs and restaurants doing some pretty creative things.

Beyond food, Chicago is one of the most architecturally beautiful cities in the country. It's a city of great neighborhoods which are connected to the core by one of the best transit systems in the U.S. and can be explored on foot. It's also more affordable than most major cities in the U.S. (particularly Boston, San Francisco, New York, DC, LA, etc.) which means that your money goes further as a tourist. There's also a little bet less of the entitled atmosphere that you'll run into in SF, BOS, NYC, LA, DC, etc.

My other vote for underrated vacation cities goes to Austin. I know Austin is fairly well known as being a unique city, but I think it's still underrated. Yes, it's great for live music, and 6th street is fantastic for a great nightlife. However, Austin is a lot more than that. Rainey St. may be one of my favorite streets to go out on. It's incredibly unique. It's an old residential street where houses have been converted into bars, complete with large backyards full of picnic tables, stages, ping pong tables, food trucks, etc. It's like a constant outdoor party. They have one of the better food truck scenes outside of the West Coast. Just outside of the city, Hill Country is very pretty, and the lakes are a blast for boating and swimming (although Travis seems to be disappearing). It's also a pretty affordable place and (in my experience), very friendly. It's small enough so as not to be overwhelming and large enough to keep one busy for a long time.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 AM

I've been to Chicago as I live a few hours away from it, and I personally didn't care for it. There are many big cities that I've been to that I prefer.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
You ask about over/under rated for vacation, but it looks like you are basing your opinions in the OP on living there.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
4. Fargo, North Dakota
Not that I'd travel to Fargo specifically for a vacation, but I did spend a night there once, and it was a fun little city.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Not that I'd travel to Fargo specifically for a vacation, but I did spend a night there once, and it was a fun little city.
Yeah, I liked it as well when I was there. It may be 'small' (which is what you'd expect in a city in either of the Dakota's), but there was a lot to do there.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:12 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I wouldn't even know where to begin on this one.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
Cities that are overrated (this isn't in any order, and I won't do full reviews on them):

1. New York City-I'm not trolling with this one (or with any of them). I bet that a ton on here choose to hate on this city since it's the most populated and is often well regarded (which I don't hate it at all). I personally love New York City, but I've never thought of it as the best city in the United States of America. I give it an 8.5/10 (I prefer London which is similar).
2. Chicago-I give it a 6.5/10 as I find it to be enjoyable to spend 2-3 days there, but I can find better entertainment/food in a better environment anyday.
3. Atlanta-Again, it's not bad, but I'd never want to live there. It's fun to spend a weekend in, but it's not as entertaining as some make it out to be in my opinion. 6/10 for this one.
4. Washington D.C.: I enjoyed being near the White House and the museums, but it was too dense in my opinion. 7/10.
5. Minneapolis/St. Paul-I actually never have cared for the twin cities. 4/10

Underrated (I will explain why if asked):

1. St. Louis, Missouri
2. San Antonio, Texas
3. Buffalo, New York
4. Fargo, North Dakota
5. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
6. Cleveland, Ohio
7. New Orleans, Louisiana (I was impressed with this place expecting it to be just an ordinary bigger city, but it was beyond that. I recommend trying Beignets if anybody hasn't tried them by the way).
8. Mobile, Alabama
9. Helena, Montana
10. Boise, Idaho
11. Santa Fe, New Mexico (it's a gorgeous city)
12. Reno, Nevada
13. Salem, Oregon
14. Little Rock, Arkansas
15. Memphis, Tennessee (compared to Nashville)
Who the hell would say any of those cities are overrated? NYC, Chicago, ATL, DC, or MSP? They all have excellent options, history, and things to do. NYC and Chi in the summer are the two best cities in the US to be in, IMO.

Sorry but Buffalo....really? No one is underrating Buffalo. Also Mobile and Reno....I have to scratch my head on those. I do agree St.Louis and New Orleans can be underrated at times.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Clearly the OP hasn't been to Chicago. And if they have, they never left the Navy Pier or the Loop. Chicago gets a vote from me because it's arguably one of the best food cities in the country. Not only is it massive and incredibly diverse (which makes for an incredible variety of cuisine), but it's close to being on par (some would argue that it IS on par) with San Francisco, LA, and NYC as far as new chefs and restaurants doing some pretty creative things.

Beyond food, Chicago is one of the most architecturally beautiful cities in the country. It's a city of great neighborhoods which are connected to the core by one of the best transit systems in the U.S. and can be explored on foot. It's also more affordable than most major cities in the U.S. (particularly Boston, San Francisco, New York, DC, LA, etc.) which means that your money goes further as a tourist. There's also a little bet less of the entitled atmosphere that you'll run into in SF, BOS, NYC, LA, DC, etc.

My other vote for underrated vacation cities goes to Austin. I know Austin is fairly well known as being a unique city, but I think it's still underrated. Yes, it's great for live music, and 6th street is fantastic for a great nightlife. However, Austin is a lot more than that. Rainey St. may be one of my favorite streets to go out on. It's incredibly unique. It's an old residential street where houses have been converted into bars, complete with large backyards full of picnic tables, stages, ping pong tables, food trucks, etc. It's like a constant outdoor party. They have one of the better food truck scenes outside of the West Coast. Just outside of the city, Hill Country is very pretty, and the lakes are a blast for boating and swimming (although Travis seems to be disappearing). It's also a pretty affordable place and (in my experience), very friendly. It's small enough so as not to be overwhelming and large enough to keep one busy for a long time.
Why? Because he isn't in love with it? All he was essentially saying is that he felt that there were other cities that did what Chicago does but better. That can't be disproven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City