U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,519,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Philadelphia is a big country city. And we produce a lot of soul music.
Lets quit with the dry sarcasm. We all know there is nothing "country" about Philadelphia. Btw this list is a joke. How is Miami and Atlanta listed as "not so country" cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 PM

14,037 posts, read 22,090,941 times
Quote:
It could be argued that Philly was a borderline southern city until the 1970s or so.
And what would that argument be?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 PM

27,682 posts, read 25,028,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Lets quit with the dry sarcasm. We all know there is nothing "country" about Philadelphia. Btw this list is a joke. How is Miami and Atlanta listed as "not so country" cities?
Speak for yourself.

Philly feels the influences of the South. It's a border city so it's really a mix of northern and southern culture.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:47 PM

Here's a good example. Cotillions are still held in Philadelphia. My sister was in one. This is where a young lady is "initiated" into Philadelphia society.

Daughters 8th grade Cotillion ceremony dance - YouTube

Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,119,375 times
Quote:
I don't really find Miami to be a very "country" city, unless you're talking about the countries of Cuba, Nicaragua, Haiti, Colombia or Brazil...

Though they must really, really love their "sweet tea."

Old 04-22-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
And what would that argument be?
Quote:
Sometime around the 1960s and '70s, people in Philadelphia began slowly, subtly to change how they speak. The sound of their vowels started a gradual shift consciously imperceptible to the very people who were driving it. A's evolved to bump into E's. The sound of an O lost some of its singsong twang. After decades of speaking with what was in effect a southern dialect, Philadelphians were becoming – linguistically, that is – more northern.
The Strange Decline of the Philly Accent - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,519,252 times
New York city feels the influences of the south. Its a border city so there its really a mix of northern and southern culture. New York city has a country station and there is so many fried chicken stores in New York city. They have crown fried chicken, royal fried chicken, Kennedy fried chicken they even had the audacity to have a "Obama fried chicken"! That is so country! Am I doing it right?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
New York city feels the influences of the south. Its a border city so there its really a mix of northern and southern culture. They have a country station and there is so many fried chicken stores in New York city. You have crown fried chicken, royal fried chicken, Kennedy fried chicken they even had the audacity to have a "Obama fried chicken"! That is so country! Am I doing it right?
Your facts are wrong. NYC is not a border city. And NYC had a northern dialect (unlike Philly, which had a southern dialect until the 1970s).

As Philadelphia becomes more like DC--with gourmet sandwich shops and cupcake stores--it becomes a bit more "northern" and less country.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM

21,993 posts, read 31,023,061 times
Quote:
Your facts are wrong. NYC is not a border city. And NYC had a northern dialect (unlike Philly, which had a southern dialect until the 1970s).
but isn't the Mid Atlantic dialect one of the more pronounced in the country. Philly and Baltimore sort of started this similar dialect - though sound different at their roots led to a large portion of the dialect in the US I believe - albeit accent sounding different foundational was a lot of what became more the american dialect - moreso than either NYC or Boston of the time

oddly SF proper (think only area on the WC) has a similar local accent on some level to Philly and Baltimore all with subtleties that are fairly easily distinguished if familiar - For the life of me I am always shocked people think I sound like a N Jersey accent - i think I sound nothing like it to be honest

http://www.geocurrents.info/wp-conte...alects-map.png

Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM

21,993 posts, read 31,023,061 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq9NBJ0sG48
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or