U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,505,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Sometime around the 1960s and '70s, people in Philadelphia began slowly, subtly to change how they speak. The sound of their vowels started a gradual shift consciously imperceptible to the very people who were driving it. A's evolved to bump into E's. The sound of an O lost some of its*. After decades of speaking with what was in effect a*, Philadelphians were becoming – linguistically, that is – more northern.
The Strange Decline of the Philly Accent - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Your facts are wrong. NYC is not a border city. And NYC had a northern dialect (unlike Philly, which had a southern dialect until the 1970s).
C'mon Bajan you are smarter than this. Philly never had a southern dialect. Philly always had a northeastern dialect. What it USED to have was a very slight similarity to the midland and Southern dialects
Quote:
"On may be pronounced [ɔn], so that, as in the Midland and Southern varieties of American English, on rhymes with*dawn*rather than*don".
In the past and currently, the Philadelphia accent/dialect has always had a lot more attributes than that minor snippet of the dialect and all of the other attributes are traits of an coastal northeastern dialect/accent. A quick example of this would be
Quote:
"As in New York, Boston, and most native dialects of English outside North America, there is a three-way distinction between Mary, marry and merry in the Philadelphia accent....Relatedly, as in New York, many words like orange, Florida, and horrible have /ɑ/ before /r/rather than the or used in many other American dialects (Labov)"
Philly's dialect also has some minor Canadian rising.
Quote:
"Canadian raising in Philadelphia occurs beforevoiceless consonants, and it is extended to occur before some*voiced consonants*as well, including intervocalic voiced stops as in*tiger*and*spider. Fruehwald argues"
Are you going argue that Philadelphia has a Canadian accent too? No you cannot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Philly is Dixieland. You just have to accept it.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Wasn't Baltimore sort of a mix of "Southern" and "Northern" qualities? It's been described being right on the margins of both regions throughout history. I read that Baltimore lost some of it's southern qualities as time went on since it had more European Catholic and Jewish immigrants and industrialized more than most cities in the South, but gained some back as black migration continued from the South.
Blacks didn't make Baltimore any more or less southern. The city was southern before, during and after the Great Migrations. Where do you think all of the big hats, white gloves, seersucker and pageantry at the Preakness comes from?

Quote:
The Kentucky Derby in Churchill Downs and the Preakness in Pimlico, Maryland are steeped in strong southern tradition, but the Belmont is a true New York affair where formality is not an issue. There are no fashions except for the hats that the fans wear.
Belmont Stakes - The Race to The Triple Crown

Yes, Blacks from the South migrated to Baltimore, but they had nothing to do with the state legislature declaring "Maryland, My Maryland" to be the state song in 1939, or joining the Southern Legislative Conference in 1947 or the Southern Governor's Association in 1948. There were also a lot of southern whites that moved to Baltimore after WWII that gave the "Bawlmer" accent the "distinctly southern character" Labov describes.

From the Hills: How Mid-Century Migrants from the Mountains Brought Bluegrass--and More--to Baltimore | Baltimore City Paper

Quote:
I've heard examples of the "Balmer" accent and it doesn't sound that Southern to me... I've got relatives in Northern Florida and Georgia and friends from Mississippi and Louisiana--you can pick out their accent at 100 yards away. A "Balmer" accent sounds like a sort of mix, but not like a strong Southern accent from the Deep South or Carolinas.
The "Bawlmer" accent has changed over time (as most accents have). My dad says that the accent was much stronger when he moved to the region, but gradually faded away over time (it's cool to have someone who can give you a 50-year perspective of the region rather than a five-year perspective centered around hip core areas). You hear it most strongly in older people. If you go to Captain White's at the DC Wharf, you hear what Southern Marylanders (different from Baltimoreans, granted, but not too different) once sounded like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsR9LStAZRU

This guy will soon be buried under an avalanche of cupcake shops and fro-yos.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM

13,432 posts, read 4,416,964 times
Quote:
Rodeos are pretty big all over the rural Western US. You can find large annual outdoor rodeo events just an hour or two outside Seattle, Portland, and the Bay Area(there's the huge California Rodeo in Salinas just south of Silicon Valley and near Monterey) and Oregon has the huge week-long Pendleton Roundup. Much of the west was cattle country until fairly recently(or you've got fake suburban cowboy types).

I imagine that's a big difference from say, rural New England where I can't imagine there being many if any rodeos(are there any?). I heard that Southern New Jersey has a rodeo though... What about the Midwest? Does somewhere like rural Michigan host rodeos? I can imagine the western Midwest having that sort of thing more than the Great Lakes area.

NASCAR and hunting and pickup trucks seem to big in most of the rural US(though NASCAR's popularity might shift in some areas).
Very familiar with the California Rodeo obviously...definitely the big event in town. Glad I live three miles north of it, but it was a good time when I went a few years ago. People that live within a mile can get seriously impacted during simple errands (grocery store/Starbucks, etc when parades and traffic occur near the rodeo grounds) if they forget to check the event schedule. I believe the Calgary Stampede is the largest in North America. Believe the one here in Salinas ranks in the top five.

As to the Midwest, I grew up in Minnesota and do know that Northfield, MN does a small rodeo event during Defeat of Jesse James Days in early September. If that event had not happened, do not think they would even have it. It is approx 40 miles south of Minneapolis. A small town near Grand Rapids, MN in northern MN also has one.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Philly is Dixieland. You just have to accept it.
lol Your'e pretty funny. I think and hope your joking.

Here is a few examples of contemporary genuine Philly accents. All of these people sound northeastern and they are all naturally speaking (not a forced fake accent videos that you see of all dialects on YouTube)

White Philly accent

Irish American

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Cy...e_gdata_player

Italian American

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dO...e_gdata_player

black Philly accent

Parking Wars: Hoagie vs. Cheese Steak - YouTube

BLACK THOUGHT: BLOWHIPHOPTV.COM - YouTube[/quote]

Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
As long as these southern posters don't start claiming that philly is part of southern hip hop I'm fine.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM

613 posts, read 844,768 times
I know they don't make the list of top 50 biggest cities but how "country" would cities in Alaska or Hawaii be?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,947,952 times
Are we really having a debate on whether Philly's culture leans more Northern or Southern?? lol.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,508,282 times
They must have been heavily drinking or smoking coming up with this crazy list.
Dallas downtown core heading on 75N is very heavily metropolitan and connects to uptown with highrise for miles and miles and sigh miles with seeing trees for along period of time.It should have beat Atlanta and Houston as far as the south go but now for Miami its about a tie but a HUGE difference with the others cried.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Are we really having a debate on whether Philly's culture leans more Northern or Southern?? lol.
Yeah its pretty pointless. It's like having a debate on whether Fox news leans more conservative or liberal. Or wether if Wesley Snipes is black or white lol. The answer is pretty obvious. Philadelphia is a quintessential northeastern city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or