U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,635,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Rodeos are pretty big all over the rural Western US. You can find large annual outdoor rodeo events just an hour or two outside Seattle, Portland, and the Bay Area(there's the huge California Rodeo in Salinas just south of Silicon Valley and near Monterey) and Oregon has the huge week-long Pendleton Roundup. Much of the west was cattle country until fairly recently(or you've got fake suburban cowboy types).
Calgary has a big rodeo in its downtown.

Calgary Stampede

1.1 million visitors last year. Wearing cowboy boots sounds kinda fake, to me as you said.

Quote:
I imagine that's a big difference from say, rural New England where I can't imagine there being many if any rodeos(are there any?). I heard that Southern New Jersey has a rodeo though... What about the Midwest? Does somewhere like rural Michigan host rodeos? I can imagine the western Midwest having that sort of thing more than the Great Lakes area.
There are no rodeo as far as I know in rural New England. There are county fairs, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:19 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,950,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Pennsylvania is well-known for its hunting tradition.

[PRES] NRA: Pennsylvania Values - YouTube
Hunting isn't really a southern thing. It's more of a rural thing.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:19 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Hunting isn't really a southern thing. It's more of a rural thing.
I didn't say it was a southern thing.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:25 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,021,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Calgary has a big rodeo in its downtown.

Calgary Stampede

1.1 million visitors last year.
Yeah, I went there as a kid. It's probably the biggest yearly event in Calgary. Calgary and Alberta are basically the Texas of Canada(and calling Calgary the Dallas of Canada isn't that big of a stretch). There's a sizable rodeo in Edmonton too and a bunch of smaller events out in the prairie towns.

Quote:
There are no rodeo as far as I know in rural New England. There are county fairs, though.
That's what I imagine in New England. I can't imagine really rodeos in upstate New York either.

Looking at this list, you don't see that many events east of the Mississippi outside of the South.

List of rodeos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Deezus; 04-22-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And Philly was central in the soul music industry.

Philadelphia soul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My family's "countryness" has certainly rubbed off on me.
True, Philly has deep roots in Soul music. What a city full of country bumpkins.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:56 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,810,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
True, Philly has deep roots in Soul music. What a city full of country bumpkins.
well it is just a few miles from the Mason-Dixon line - in fact the calculation for the line started on South and Front street I believe - the border of Queen Village and Society Hill

don't see a huge country following here TBH but I did attend a Kenny Chesney concert once - fun tailgate decent concert actually

the Zac Brown Band also played as the intro then with him was actually quite good from my recollection (was surprised) and was packed like 85-90K almost as many as were at U2 the week after

Country in many ways has become more mainstream it seems

I sort of consider thee guys soul in a sense

Old 04-22-2014, 03:57 PM

forgot the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojC0mg2hJCc

Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Soulful Hockey Fans Apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsrNHvfkMEs

Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Do we "country" points for this?

Philly Gun Range - YouTube

Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well it is just a few miles from the Mason-Dixon line - in fact the calculation for the line started on South and Front street I believe - the border of Queen Village and Society Hill

don't see a huge country following here TBH but I did attend a Kenny Chesney concert once - fun tailgate decent concert actually

the Zac Brown Band also played as the intro then with him was actually quite good from my recollection (was surprised) and was packed like 85-90K almost as many as were at U2 the week after

Country in many ways has become more mainstream it seems

I sort of consider thee guys soul in a sense
Yeah, country music being as mainstream as it is, was really gonna be my counter argument as to how "country" Philly is. Any city(even NYC and the bay area) will pack out a Kenny chesney concert nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or