U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best summer city?
NYC 23 60.53%
Miami 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:41 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,415,904 times

Advertisements

My dream is to have a winter home in either Miami, Puerto Rico or Saint Martin. As much as I love my city NYC, I really do hate winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:58 AM

5,187 posts, read 5,443,342 times
If you love the tropical look with the prodigious array of palm trees Miami is blessed with along with the Gulf Stream waters of Biscayne Bay and the beautiful waters of the Atlantic Ocean along with clean air along with beautiful Ocean Drives Art Deco area withits many cafes,I prefer this by along shot over NYC.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,773,257 times
The girls are out in NYC during the summer -- when they aren't at the beach (mostly after work). Yes, you have to keep in mind that the city tends to shut down on the weekends because people are traveling and/or at their shore homes. When it gets BRUTALLY hot I feel like people tend to stay inside because its pretty unbearable on the street.

Also add into the fact that the subway stations are like ovens during the summer and the city tends to smell the worst during this time.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:23 PM

21,131 posts, read 33,109,510 times
Unless you're looking for a 3 month steambath, New York City.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:21 PM

14,014 posts, read 22,039,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Unless you're looking for a 3 month steambath, New York City.
NYC does have those pesky heatwaves, caused by urban heat island effect. The whole eastcoast is a steambath really.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:58 PM

5,837 posts, read 6,400,172 times
Because we're talking summertime, I think it's NYC no contest. Factor in the fact that you're less into a party city and more into exploring and it's even more obvious no matter what time of the year.

You can try airbnb (now that the chaos has settled) or various temp housing lists. Or maybe craigslist.

I'd also consider Chicago..depends what you are seeking but Chicago can offer nearly everything NYC does during the summer. Probably cheaper/easier to find housing too.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:52 PM

21,131 posts, read 33,109,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
NYC does have those pesky heatwaves, caused by urban heat island effect. The whole eastcoast is a steambath really.
What the whole east coast doesn't have in summer is the tropical sun. That combined with the humidity made that season unbearable. Well, that and being in the last trimester of a pregnancy.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,415,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
The girls are out in NYC during the summer -- when they aren't at the beach (mostly after work). Yes, you have to keep in mind that the city tends to shut down on the weekends because people are traveling and/or at their shore homes. When it gets BRUTALLY hot I feel like people tend to stay inside because its pretty unbearable on the street.

Also add into the fact that the subway stations are like ovens during the summer and the city tends to smell the worst during this time.
As usual another wrong post about New York from freshlakes. New York City never shuts down on any day.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 PM

14,014 posts, read 22,039,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What the whole east coast doesn't have in summer is the tropical sun. That combined with the humidity made that season unbearable. Well, that and being in the last trimester of a pregnancy.
See, you were in your 3rd trimester of pregnancy, so your judgment was cloudy.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:10 AM

171 posts, read 309,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Because we're talking summertime, I think it's NYC no contest. Factor in the fact that you're less into a party city and more into exploring and it's even more obvious no matter what time of the year.

You can try airbnb (now that the chaos has settled) or various temp housing lists. Or maybe craigslist.

I'd also consider Chicago..depends what you are seeking but Chicago can offer nearly everything NYC does during the summer. Probably cheaper/easier to find housing too.
I've had Chicago in the back of my mind, I think I might have to look into it. But, I hear Chicago's kinda dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City