Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:58 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,286 times

Advertisements

Since there are so many topics about "iconic" cities or even name recognition in places like Zimbabwe or Uzbekistan (newsflash: most people in either place don't think about American cities as much as people who post on the City vs. City forum on a site called City Data do), what cities would you not excuse someone IN THE UNITED STATES of not hearing of before?

I'll start:

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC
San Francisco

I feel like at the very least, every American should have at least have heard of these places once, twice, or even in passing. Note: I don't think most people could tell you off the top of their head what the population of each of these places are, as much as you could name me the most populated cities of India, China, or Russia are off the top of your head either.

If you want to add, feel free.

Also, given that something like "State Capitals" is tested on frequently in elementary school, at least 30/50 should just jump out at people (+ or - how old you are/quality of school you went to).

Landmarks like "Mount Rushmore", "Grand Canyon" I feel are things most people have at least have some sort of knowledge of.

I'm just trying to combat the idea that I see frequently in threads that people simply "have never heard of the place." That's dumb. Even places like Las Vegas, Atlantic City, New Orleans, people have heard of. Lets be real here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 02:00 PM

403 posts, read 666,153 times
The twenty most famous cities in the United States that I wouldn't excuse people for not knowing (lol, I wouldn't bother them over it, but I may make a joke as long as they don't get offended):

1. New York City (it's by far the most famous one)
2. Washington D.C. (it's a close second)
3. Los Angeles (I believe that it's easily the most famous city in California and on the entire West Coast, even though a couple of cities are close competition for that title)
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Seattle
7. Miami
8. Detroit
9. Phoenix
10. Dallas or Fort Worth
11. Philadelphia
12. Houston
13. San Antonio
14. Atlanta
15. Boston
16. St. Louis
17. Baltimore
18. Las Vegas
19. Memphis
20. Denver

Old 04-19-2014, 02:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Since there are so many topics about "iconic" cities or even name recognition in places like Zimbabwe or Uzbekistan (newsflash: most people in either place don't think about American cities as much as people who post on the City vs. City forum on a site called City Data do), what cities would you not excuse someone IN THE UNITED STATES of not hearing of before?

I'll start:

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC
San Francisco

I feel like at the very least, every American should have at least have heard of these places once, twice, or even in passing. Note: I don't think most people could tell you off the top of their head what the population of each of these places are, as much as you could name me the most populated cities of India, China, or Russia are off the top of your head either.

If you want to add, feel free.

Also, given that something like "State Capitals" is tested on frequently in elementary school, at least 30/50 should just jump out at people (+ or - how old you are/quality of school you went to).

Landmarks like "Mount Rushmore", "Grand Canyon" I feel are things most people have at least have some sort of knowledge of.

I'm just trying to combat the idea that I see frequently in threads that people simply "have never heard of the place." That's dumb. Even places like Las Vegas, Atlantic City, New Orleans, people have heard of. Lets be real here.
You know, they teach GEOGRAPHY in this country starting at a very early age -- like kindergarten. There's a color map of all 50 states hanging in every classroom, globes, etc. Kids are fascinated by that stuff. They also teach current events, history, social studies, etc. starting very early. Then, of course, there's the news and the internet. Anybody who pays the least bit of attention to what's going on in this country is going to at least "heard" of every major city, and all 50 states. They may not be able to place them on a map, bit they've heard of them.

If someone doesn't know the 5 cities in your top list, that person is 2 years old -- or else an idiot and a moron.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,058 times
Any of the major US cities (metros of a million or more) are inexcusable to have never heard of. It's virtually impossible to go your whole life having never heard of any of those such places. Those who haven't are willfully ignorant, are brand new immigrants from overseas, or grew up Amish.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,286 times
I think it's inexcusable when people can't seem to spell the names of the Southwestern cities.

Alburquerque
Tuscon
Pheonix
Sante Fe
Los Vegas

Old 04-19-2014, 03:32 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,025,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
The twenty most famous cities in the United States that I wouldn't excuse people for not knowing (lol, I wouldn't bother them over it, but I may make a joke as long as they don't get offended):

3. Los Angeles (I believe that it's easily the most famous city in California and on the entire West Coast, even though a couple of cities are close competition for that title)
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Seattle
7. Miami
8. Detroit
9. Phoenix
10. Dallas or Fort Worth
11. Philadelphia
12. Houston
13. San Antonio
14. Atlanta
15. Boston
16. St. Louis
17. Baltimore
18. Las Vegas
19. Memphis
20. Denver
Lol.

Personally I wouldn't expect a foreigner to be more familiar with Seattle or San Antonio than with Boston.

I guess it would depend on what part of the world they were from.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I think it's inexcusable when people can't seem to spell the names of the Southwestern cities.

Alburquerque
Tuscon
Pheonix
Sante Fe
Los Vegas
Are you trying to be ironic?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Are you trying to be ironic?
I've seen all those spellings before (the prior three far more than that latter two).

Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,421 times
Quote:

4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Seattle
7. Miami
8. Detroit
9. Phoenix
10. Dallas or Fort Worth
11. Philadelphia
12. Houston
13. San Antonio
14. Atlanta
15. Boston
16. St. Louis
17. Baltimore
18. Las Vegas
19. Memphis
20. Denver
Phoenix and Fort Worth over Philly, Boston, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Denver and Houston? lol!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:

4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Seattle
7. Miami
8. Detroit
9. Phoenix
10. Dallas or Fort Worth
11. Philadelphia
12. Houston
13. San Antonio
14. Atlanta
15. Boston
16. St. Louis
17. Baltimore
18. Las Vegas
19. Memphis
20. Denver
San Antonio over Atlanta and Boston? Really? Pittsburgh Cleveland and New Orleans not even on the list and Memphis is on there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City