Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:25 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yes, it does. And you know it. See above, or scroll through the 10-12 posts that have illustrated this for you over the years, each time you've made the same error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazG View Post
Manipulation? What does the census say? Please tell me. If it changes than so be it. I'm not going to be offended. I'm not going to be bitter. I'm not going to be mad. I'm not going to cry, scream, etc... if the census changes San Fran to one metro..

As a CSA the Bay area is much bigger (I get that), but as a MSA Houston is bigger (did you know?)

I'm not bragging and nobody said it was about pride or a contest. If this offends anyone on here I'm sorry you feel that way.

I'm out...
Oh, so you're one of "those". I suppose you think Houston's population makes it the 4th largest city in the country, too, right? That it's about to surpass Chicago? That's what the census says. But, spend a few minutes in the central business districts of Boston, SF, Philly--all much smaller cities than Houston, but with substantially larger CSAs and tell me which one is bigger. The only one that's larger than Houston, but functions similarly and gives a similar experience and level of urban development is Dallas...also a much smaller city.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:42 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
This thread is about Dallas and Houston, why are we talking about why San Francisco is better?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
This thread is about Dallas and Houston, why are we talking about why San Francisco is better?
He always has to infuse himself in these types of threads that's why.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:15 PM

115 posts, read 145,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Oh, so you're one of "those". I suppose you think Houston's population makes it the 4th largest city in the country, too, right? That it's about to surpass Chicago? That's what the census says. But, spend a few minutes in the central business districts of Boston, SF, Philly--all much smaller cities than Houston, but with substantially larger CSAs and tell me which one is bigger. The only one that's larger than Houston, but functions similarly and gives a similar experience and level of urban development is Dallas...also a much smaller city.
I'm not one of THOSE that you speak of. I don't know you and you don't know me. So don't go there.. Houston is the 4th largest city because of the population in its 600 sq. ml of land (don't play me).

Second, CSA's to MSA's are apples to oranges. So which one are we really comparing? Its okay for people to use MSA stats for cities like Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, but its okay to use CSA stats for cities like San Fran, Philly, Boston and D.C. to compare which one has the advantage? Please

It was very common to use MSA stats for a comparison of cities on CD, but now since some southern cities are growing faster than northern cities its acceptable to use CSA stats.

So the question is which one (MSA or CSA) is more acceptable or accurate to go by?

AS far as your Boston, Philly, San Fran statement they are all great cities full of rich history, culture and have established Identities. TX cities have a long way to go in that regard.

Last edited by ChazG; 05-01-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB79 View Post
Which city do you think is better? (Economy, quality of life, cost of living, etc.)
The economy in Houston is larger but other than that they are just about the same in regards to quality of life and cost of living.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Because.... City-Data.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:31 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times
Quote:
I'm not one of THOSE that you speak of. I don't know you and you don't know me. So don't go there.. Houston is the 4th largest city because of its 600 sq. ml in land (don't play me).

Second, CSA's to MSA's are apples to oranges. So which one are we really comparing?
Its okay for people to use MSA stats for cities like Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, but its okay to use CSA stats for cities like San Fran, Philly, Boston and D.C. to compare which one has the advantage? Please

It was very common to use MSA stats for a comparison of cities on CD, but now since some southern cities are growing faster than northern cities its acceptable to use CSA stats.

So the question is which one (MSA or CSA) is more acceptable or accurate to go by?

AS far as your Boston, Philly, San Fran statement they are all great cities full of rich history, culture and have established Identities. TX cities have a long way to go in that regard.

Some CSA's like LA, SF, and Raleigh Durham act and function more like MSA's than anything else, that's why people often use that measuring tool for the mentioned cities, other people can use CSA but it gives them no advantage so they dismiss it as not accurate, looks like you're one of them.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
Some CSA's like LA, SF, and Raleigh Durham act and function more like MSA's than anything else, that's why people often use that measuring tool for the mentioned cities, other people can use CSA but it gives them no advantage so they dismiss it as not accurate, looks like you're one of them.
So what you're saying is San Fran/San Jose and D.C./Baltimore are more like a DFW MSA even tho it's not one MSA. That's what you're saying?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times
Quote:
So what you're saying is San Fran/San Jose and D.C./Baltimore are more like a DFW MSA even tho it's not one MSA. That's what you're saying?
Yes SF bay is more in line with a DFW MSA, DMV is a little different because the area is split by media and not a solid development between Baltimore MSA and DC MSA like you see between SF-SJ and LA-SB/Riverside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City