U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2014, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,373,536 times
Reputation: 1567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm not offended, don't worry. It just came off as very smug, like D.C. is so small that somebody would be easily bored if they lived there their whole lives. Coming from NYC, I think you can appreciate why it may come off that way, no?
Probably, I'm a fan of DC, if I ever move there I would like to have unlimited amounts of fun.

Not drive all day like freshlakes in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,100 posts, read 2,760,150 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Hahah more NYC envy? I don't tout NYC everyday, you must be confused by me correcting your false information about the city. The tout title goes to you sir. I'm on this site to learn information.

Lol at your roommate ideology. Of coarse it coming from you probably equated to false rather then truth. I'm actually surprised you didn't say people in NYC don't sleep with 10 roommates.

And for god sakes please don't ever talk about homeless people when your location says L.A.
What the hell kind of comment is that about homeless people? Are you that ignorant? What is wrong with you?

Soo....are you contributing anything meaningful to my comments or are you just playing the NYC-style smoke and mirrors game once again? Please tell me how it's possible to not live **** poor on a starting salary in NYC? What are the secrets?

And yes, I'll take my car in a heartbeat over your slow and lazy union worker run MTA system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,373,536 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
What the hell kind of comment is that about homeless people? Are you that ignorant? What is wrong with you?

Soo....are you contributing anything meaningful to my comments or are you just playing the NYC-style smoke and mirrors game once again? Please tell me how it's possible to not live **** poor on a starting salary in NYC? What are the secrets?

And yes, I'll take my car in a heartbeat over your slow and lazy union worker run MTA system.
My comment answered your rant precisely. Comprehension issues? Looks like it.

Oh and same here I rather drive my car here in New York then get stuck on a smog infested congested highway for hours. (L.A)

But it does help that I have the luxury of the MTA when traffic has an off day. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,100 posts, read 2,760,150 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
My comment answered your rant precisely. Comprehension issues? Looks like it.

Oh and same here I rather drive my car here in New York then get stuck on a smog infested congested highway for hours. (L.A)

But it does help that I have the luxury of the MTA when traffic has an off day. .
Oh please. Smog infested LA? Wow. This just touts your New York ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,373,536 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Oh please. Smog infested LA? Wow. This just touts your New York ignorance.
But it does give a good reflection of how you sound vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Salinas, CA
13,478 posts, read 4,425,152 times
Reputation: 6960
Is it any surprise that the two most hostile posters are from NYC and LA and can't stand the other? Please continue your p-match by DM. Thanks. Anyways, that should tell the millenials (and anyone else as well) two of the cities to avoid. That is actually a valuable thing, so a thank you (oddly) goes out to both Freshflakes757 and nycjowww. This is how you can expect to be treated in those two cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Salinas, CA
13,478 posts, read 4,425,152 times
Reputation: 6960
OK, I should have directed that last post only toward the two posters in the p-match (don't care if one is the OP...it was getting silly), rather than an over-generalization about LA and NYC (though I still think disrespect is a little more common in the larger cities). In every city you will find some friendly people. It is easier in some than others.

Maybe we can talk about some other cities with more class than was expressed in posts 55-65. Not trying to do the mods job, but they obviously were not reading this thread; they can't be everywhere with all the posts on city data, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Chicago
2,357 posts, read 2,014,953 times
Reputation: 2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
How can Chicago be that high when that city's unemployment rate is so high?

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Bogus list. I would think DC, all of the Texas cities, Denver, Minneapolis. Places where there are jobs are where melinnials are going to thrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah but you have to look a little deeper. This article was clearly written with college educated yuppies in training in mind. When you look at unemployment by education level, it's a very different story. (Hint: you're far less likely to be unemployed if you have a college degree). Chicago is becoming more and more white collar so its placing on the list makes sense to me.

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment
Bluefox pretty much nailed it. If you're looking for the blue collar occupations that Chicago was known for in the past, then you're in trouble, but quite a lot of white collar occupations that require a bachelor's or some sort of graduate degree are doing quite well.

On a side note though, does anyone know how they picked the representative colleges? The selection of DePaul for Chicago seems odd to me.

Also, I probably would have picked Lakeview for Chicago's neighborhood. There's a lot of transplants there, especially from Big 10 schools, and it's cheaper than Wicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,100 posts, read 2,760,150 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Bluefox pretty much nailed it. If you're looking for the blue collar occupations that Chicago was known for in the past, then you're in trouble, but quite a lot of white collar occupations that require a bachelor's or some sort of graduate degree are doing quite well.

On a side note though, does anyone know how they picked the representative colleges? The selection of DePaul for Chicago seems odd to me.

Also, I probably would have picked Lakeview for Chicago's neighborhood. There's a lot of transplants there, especially from Big 10 schools, and it's cheaper than Wicker.
IIRC, Depaul has a good business school, no?

The selections for the neighborhoods seems completely off. Like I said, "Palms" for LA is absolutely ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,100 posts, read 2,760,150 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
OK, I should have directed that last post only toward the two posters in the p-match (don't care if one is the OP...it was getting silly), rather than an over-generalization about LA and NYC (though I still think disrespect is a little more common in the larger cities). In every city you will find some friendly people. It is easier in some than others.

Maybe we can talk about some other cities with more class than was expressed in posts 55-65. Not trying to do the mods job, but they obviously were not reading this thread; they can't be everywhere with all the posts on city data, right?
NYCer's can be uptight and dumb bullies (hence the other poster.) I was simply defending myself since he has nothing to do but troll my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top