Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:41 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
IIRC, Depaul has a good business school, no?

The selections for the neighborhoods seems completely off. Like I said, "Palms" for LA is absolutely ridiculous.
They do, but there are certainly better in the city. Here's a break down of the major Chicago universities' rankings for undergrad, business, and law (I didn't include medical because there's not one ranking):

National University Ranking (undergrad):
#5 - University of Chicago
#12 - Northwestern University* (undergrad campus is in Evanston and not Chicago)
#101 - Loyola University Chicago
#109 - Illinois Institute of Technology
#121 - DePaul University
#128 - University of Illinois--Chicago

National Business School Ranking:
#4 - University of Chicago (Booth)
#6 - Northwestern University (Kellogg)
#85 - DePaul University (Kellstadt)
#92 - University of Illinois--Chicago (Liautaud)
Unranked - Loyola University Chicago (Quinlan)
Unranked - Illinois Institute of Technology (Stuart)

National Law School Ranking:
#4 - University of Chicago Law School
#12 - Northwestern University School of Law
#68 - Loyola University Chicago School of Law
#72 - Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago-Kent)
#121 - DePaul University College of Law
No Law School - University of Illinois--Chicago

UChicago
University of Chicago | Best College | US News
Northwestern
Northwestern University | Best College | US News
Loyola
Loyola University Chicago | Best College | US News
IIT
Illinois Institute of Technology | Best College | US News
DePaul
DePaul University | Best College | US News
UIC
University of Illinois--Chicago | Best College | US News

Maybe they go by the number of graduates who stay? Otherwise, I have no idea, but it's clearly not decided by rank.

As for the neighborhoods, I'm with you. Wicker is great, and there are certainly a lot of Millenials who live out there, but Lakeview is less expensive, has more bars (Wrigleyville and Boystown), and it's far more convenient to the lakefront, which the article made a point of mentioning in Chicago's favor. It's not a bad choice or anything, but it just wouldn't have been my first one.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 04-24-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
The 10 Best US Cities For Millennials To Live And Thrive In

1.) New York,NY
2.) Austin, Texas
3.) Washington DC
4.) Chicago, Il
5.) San Francisco, CA
6.) Boston, MA
7.) Denver, CO
8.) Forth Worth, Texas
9.) Minnespolis-St. Paul
10.) San Diego, CA
Uhh ... no. The overall income/jobb opportunities/student debt of people who've graduated college the last couple of years frequently makes living hellishly expensive. Working two jobs just so you can cram into an apartment with a roommate or two isn't exactly "living and thriving" for them.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
NYCer's can be uptight and dumb bullies (hence the other poster.) I was simply defending myself since he has nothing to do but troll my posts.
He was definitely trolling...agreed. I would not have said anything had it ended after 6 or 7 posts. Anyways, this has still been a valuable thread with some good info about various cities. Enjoy your day.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
I did not realize Chicago's unemployment rate was still that high? Wtf???? 9.0%????

Old 04-25-2014, 05:08 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I did not realize Chicago's unemployment rate was still that high? Wtf???? 9.0%????
It's not much better for NYC and DC (8.9%) and even worse for LA (11.3%)

The better ones I'm finding based on google searches are Austin (4.8) Minneapolis (5.1) San Francisco (5.6) Orlando (6.1) Houston (6.2) Dallas (6.5)

Boston is the strongest in the Northeast (7.1) so it seems.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:07 PM

And here I thought Atlanta was still lagging far behind...holy. Atlanta is actually at to below average and continues to drop(6.8%). Maybe Atlanta can get to or near the 5s by the end of the year.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
And here I thought Atlanta was still lagging far behind...holy. Atlanta is actually at to below average and continues to drop(6.8%). Maybe Atlanta can get to or near the 5s by the end of the year.
Anything below 7.0% is impressive. I'm still stunned that San Francisco, Orlando, and Austin are lower than Dallas or Houston. I would have guessed both of the larger TX cities would have lower unemployment than AUS -- especially for all the things you hear about Houston on these boards.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 PM

SF is booming big time. Not surprised. For such a historic city, it's incredibly impressive that the city still booms like a typical sunbelt/Texas city.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
SF is booming big time. Not surprised. For such a historic city, it's incredibly impressive that the city still booms like a typical sunbelt/Texas city.
Late 1980s-1990s Tech Boom = San Jose (Exclusively)
Current Tech Boom = San Jose AND San Francisco (and all areas in-between.)

That, my friend is the big difference. SF came in and offered up incentives. It's local economy was apparently not as strong back in 2008-2009.

Orlando though? That just came out of nowhere with a 6.1%. Things are blowing up down there and that place got hit hard by the housing burst. Miami is 8.5 which is definitely on par with NYC, PHL, and DCA.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:12 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
He was definitely trolling...agreed. I would not have said anything had it ended after 6 or 7 posts. Anyways, this has still been a valuable thread with some good info about various cities. Enjoy your day.
Trolling. Please hush you probably do not read freshflakes post. Going on every thread and posting wrong information is trolling which is what he does.

As far as me, I posted an article that was written from a blogger who writes journals. Maybe you're just confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City