Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Well, as someone said before these cities can be trendy all they want, but if you're not in Tech or another high paying job, you're likely with 3-4 other roommates barely making it, especially SF and NYC.
Yeah exactly. I'm not sure how one is to be expected to "thrive" in San Francisco barring a 100k plus/yr job or independent source of fortune and wealth. Then again... maybe San Francisco made the list because there are so many people in the tech industry that are millenials. I dunno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
How can Chicago be that high when that city's unemployment rate is so high?

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Bogus list. I would think DC, all of the Texas cities, Denver, Minneapolis. Places where there are jobs are where melinnials are going to thrive.
Yeah but you have to look a little deeper. This article was clearly written with college educated yuppies in training in mind. When you look at unemployment by education level, it's a very different story. (Hint: you're far less likely to be unemployed if you have a college degree). Chicago is becoming more and more white collar so its placing on the list makes sense to me.

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
SF is pretty small too...does that boring?
My question was about DC, so I'm lost as to why you're brining SF into the equation.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well D.C. (61.4 sq. mile's) is bigger than Paris (40.7 sq. mile's), San Fran (46.8 sq. mile's), Boston (48.4 sq. mile's), and is about the same size as Amsterdame (64 sq. mile's). Have you been to any of those cities?
Just Boston. Being bigger then Boston does help because I like Boston.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Neither are boring, which is his point. If you need NYC or more to keep you entertained it may be time to visit a psychiatrist. DC is not only not boring but it's crammed with interesting things to do.

It's a very odd question in the 1st place.
Stop being offended. It was a justified question just based off the size of the city. The point of my question was to see if it would be strange if one person hasn't explored all of the city, if they lived there for a certain amount of time.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
LA also got a "low" crime score which is better than most in the top 10 (Anyone surprised MSP was ranked "average".) You can tell the author had no idea what they were talking about when they said the up and coming neighborhood is "Palms." I work near palms and it's boring and expensive. It should clearly be one of the hipster neighborhoods (Echo Park, Highland Park or Silver Lake) or something yuppie (Santa Monica) for LA.

I just can't get over NYC as number 1. The list is clearly rigged.
You made a account just to envy NYC. I just can't get over how everything you say about NYC is factually false.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 PM

275 posts, read 415,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd think it would be the reverse. Younger Millenials are facing...

-More competitive college admissions process
-More competitive grad/professional school admissions process
-Tighter, more competitive job market
-Higher tuition
-Lower real wages

NYU is $64,000 for the coming academic year.

http://www.nyu.edu/content/dam/nyu/f...ncialfacts.pdf

Bucknell is $60,000.

Frequently Asked Questions || Financial Aid

UVA is $23,000 for in-state and $50,000 OOS.

Tuition, Fees & Estimated Cost of Attendance | Office of Undergraduate Admission

Most people don't have that kind of money just sitting around in a bank account. And if you can't pay, colleges just say "Oh well." Granted, there are less prestigious and cheaper colleges than the aforementioned, but those kids generally don't get jobs in New York or San Francisco. Even the kids who go to these types of schools often find themselves fighting for low-paying or unpaid internship positions after college.
You forget about financial aid. If you can get accepted into a top-tier school and you come from a middle or lower class family, you usually don't pay much (if anything at all).

Old 04-23-2014, 01:14 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
You made a account just to envy NYC. I just can't get over how everything you say about NYC is factually false.
All you do all day everyday is tout NYC. It's not that great. Get over it and shut your mouth. Stop telling me I'm spreading lies about your precious dump of a city when everyone here has an opinion.

NYC being number one seems like one of the WORST places to be a millenial and thrive. The average salary (according to the article) is in the low 30K range. Say you make 35K and live in Greenpoint. Where do they expect you to live? In the homeless shelter? You would need to have at least 4-5 roommates in a bare bones closet with likely not enough $ left over for heat or air conditioning. Going out to bars and eating out? Forget it. You'll be begging mommy and daddy for an early allowance on your already diminishing trust fund.

There are plenty of other cities on the list that have the potential to stretch the dollar on a starting salary. AUS, DEN, MSP, all come to mind. NYC isn't one of them.

Last edited by Freshflakes757; 04-23-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Stop being offended. It was a justified question just based off the size of the city. The point of my question was to see if it would be strange if one person hasn't explored all of the city, if they lived there for a certain amount of time.
I'm not offended, don't worry. It just came off as very smug, like D.C. is so small that somebody would be easily bored if they lived there their whole lives. Coming from NYC, I think you can appreciate why it may come off that way, no?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
All you do all day everyday is tout NYC. It's not that great. Get over it and shut your mouth. Stop telling me I'm spreading lies about your precious dump of a city when everyone here has an opinion.

NYC being number one seems like one of the WORST places to be a millenial and thrive. The average salary (according to the article) is in the low 30K range. Say you make 35K and live in Greenpoint. Where do they expect you to live? In the homeless shelter? You would need to have at least 4-5 roommates in a bare bones closet with likely not enough $ left over for heat or air conditioning. Going out to bars and eating out? Forget it. You'll be begging mommy and daddy for an early allowance on your already diminishing trust fund.

There are plenty of other cities on the list that have the potential to stretch the dollar on a starting salary. AUS, DEN, MSP, all come to mind. NYC isn't one of them.
Hahah more NYC envy? I don't tout NYC everyday, you must be confused by me correcting your false information about the city. The tout title goes to you sir. I'm on this site to learn information.

Lol at your roommate ideology. Of coarse it coming from you probably equated to false rather then truth. I'm actually surprised you didn't say people in NYC don't sleep with 10 roommates.

And for god sakes please don't ever talk about homeless people when your location says L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City