U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 PM

1,580 posts, read 4,125,661 times

Advertisements

For heavy-rail systems- LA, Atlanta (Marta) & SF Bay Area (Bart).

For light-rail systems- Dallas

Agree that the grit and grime of Chicago and NYC's systems are part of the character.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Maybe, but I'd still rather take Tokyo or Seoul's subway systems then NYC's...
Meh, I can live with NY's subway, I find it a lot more characterful, plus the buskers and the people you meet...plus NYC is the most fascinating city in the world bar none...

Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Speaking of Sandy, how's the South Street Seaport station these days? That was the station me and my mother came out of coming back from Brooklyn last time we visited a few weeks before Sandy was born. I remember the pics and the news feed of that particular station along with several others being severely flooded.
I'm not sure, I'm most familiar with South Ferry/Whitehall right outside the SI Ferry (as far as ones I know that badly flooded) and that one was down for a while. It's back, but I don't know if it's back completely. I haven't been to that particular station in a couple months.

The 1 and R trains were down for a while after Sandy. Whitehall flooded BAD. I've seen pictures. It was not fun I'd imagine, and quite disgusting.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 04-23-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 09:30 PM

6,494 posts, read 2,236,855 times
I don't like dirty seats with unidentifiable dirt on them, but the most important thing is to have air-conditioning. Being on a crowded train that gets stuck in the middle of a tunnel and it's over 80 degrees is not the most pleasant experience.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,333,518 times
Of North American cities...

Montreal (by far the cleanest)
San Francisco
Cleveland
DC
Boston
Chicago
New York
Baltimore
Philly (by far the dirtiest)

Never ridden: Miami, Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Juan, Mexico City

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,993,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Of North American cities...

Montreal (by far the cleanest)
San Francisco
Cleveland
DC
Boston
Chicago
New York
Baltimore
Philly (by far the dirtiest)

Never ridden: Miami, Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Juan, Mexico City
Is this list in order?

If so SF is definitely in the wrong slot. When I rode the BART I was disgusted with the stations (especially at night/early morning). I'm from NY and I've never seen THAT many homeless people in the stations like that.

Though the city was still beautiful otherwise though, lol.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 AM

478 posts, read 847,753 times
Compared to what I have seen DC is most the cleanly followed by Miami and San Francisco. NYC is the worst I have seen anywhere with water dripping down everywhere in the subway when it rains!.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:35 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,298,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Is this list in order?

If so SF is definitely in the wrong slot. When I rode the BART I was disgusted with the stations (especially at night/early morning). I'm from NY and I've never seen THAT many homeless people in the stations like that.

Though the city was still beautiful otherwise though, lol.
The stations in San Francisco don't strike me as being more disgusting than stations in any other city. It was the old cloth seats on BART that made me feel dirty all over. Those things had to be crawling with nastiness. Thankfully, BART started replacing those cloth seats with vinyl covers back in 2012 which cleaned things up quite a bit. The new cars look like they will be even more sterile.

I believe that when it comes to cleanliness on public transit, less is more (except with regard to passengers and deodorant... especially in summer). NYC's subway has a reputation for being dirty, but give me hard plastic bench seating any day. At least I know that if someone goes 1, 2, or pukes the city can grab a hose, some soap, and just spray it down. I cringe thinking of the filth that was in those old BART seats. Most of us get grossed out touching an uncovered mattress that doesn't belong to us. Imagine what hundreds of thousands (millions?) of butts on a single padded cloth seat leave behind.

I don't know if I can rank the subways in NA in terms of cleanliness. Montreal easily feels the cleanest. Until recently I would have said BART was the dirtiest (MUNI Metro isn't bad) I have experienced, but they've improved and are continuing to do so. Washington DC isn't dirty, but it's definitely showing some signs of age and wear. DC does an outstanding job of keeping METRO clean.

Boston, New York, Philly and Chicago all have sort of a gritty, aged dirty thing going on. To me, it's not "gross!" dirty. Boston's Orange Line may be the worst of that bunch. It could just be that I've spent too much time on the Orange Line, but I've seen some sh*t. Literally. There's a thread in Boston's City-Data forum called, Diarrhea Defecation on Ruggles Train Platform (that's the Orange Line). Note the lack of surprise from many of the posters (inc. me). I imagine that no matter where you live, if you use public transit regularly, you're going to see some stuff.

Madrid and Tokyo are definitely the cleanest subways I've ridden in the world. Leaps and bounds above American systems. Tokyo even manages to pull off padded cloth seats that don't feel like a poop sponge (sorry, BART).

Last edited by lrfox; 04-24-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 9,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Minneapolis does not have a subway system. Not even a light rail subway line.
Actually, yes, we do. There's an above- and below-ground 11-mile line serving downtown minneapoljs, the south side, airport, and mall of america. In addition a 16 mile line connecting Minneapolis and St. Paul opens this summer. I rarely if ever see trash or vandalism on the trains.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,945,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampandmousepad View Post
Actually, yes, we do. There's an above- and below-ground 11-mile line serving downtown minneapoljs, the south side, airport, and mall of america. In addition a 16 mile line connecting Minneapolis and St. Paul opens this summer. I rarely if ever see trash or vandalism on the trains.
Do you mind showing any prove to back up your claim? When have you ever heard a Minneapolis resident say "I'm going to catch the subway"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City