Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 AM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Is it me or do the NY City stations feel like saunas in the summertime.
Urine soaked saunas in the summertime, brine filled meat lockers in the wintertime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times
Somehow the grittiness of the NY subway is part of it's character. It just wouldn't look the same if it looked super modern and squeaky clean...

Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,070,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Somehow the grittiness of the NY subway is part of it's character. It just wouldn't look the same if it looked super modern and squeaky clean...
Maybe, but I'd still rather take Tokyo or Seoul's subway systems then NYC's...

Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 11,881 times
I am not one to use public transit often, but I am surprised that Minneapolis has not been mentioned. The trains are absolutely pristine.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,082,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampandmousepad View Post
I am not one to use public transit often, but I am surprised that Minneapolis has not been mentioned. The trains are absolutely pristine.
Of course they are, Minneapolis is the most sterile city in the world.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,914,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampandmousepad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Of course they are, Minneapolis is the most sterile city in the world.
Minneapolis does not have a subway system. Not even a light rail subway line.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,326,598 times
New York City has massively rebuilt their stations as well but mostly the stations in the outter boroughs that are above ground.

The new stations are very clean and nice.

I'm pretty sure reconstructing the subways in manhattan is a very difficult thing to do.

But I do hope the"no trash can" project proves to be effective on the garbage issue.

So far the results have been positive.

I also believe the new stations being built ( 2nd avenue and 7 extension) will have air ventilation. Damn yo I love the MTA.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,326,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Maybe, but I'd still rather take Tokyo or Seoul's subway systems then NYC's...
Tokyo? Don't have they have men who push and cram people into subways? How do you even get out of the train in those conditions?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Tokyo? Don't have they have men who push and cram people into subways? How do you even get out of the train in those conditions?
I saw one of the vids on YouTube with them doing that. Now that's what I call a crowded train O_0 I would love to experience Tokyo's subway/commuter rail system (I believe the bullet trains serve the commuter lines) once I visit one day but I think I'm gonna avoid the rush hour jams......

Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
You push and people will step out of the doors to let you out and quickly fill the space you voided. It's an amazingly organized chaos. People waiting on the platform wait until all passengers exiting have exited, and all passengers remaining fill back in. They actually have lines on the platform to show where passengers should stand. The videos are usually at Shinjuku station which has over 3 million passengers daily (NY Penn, the busiest in the US , has 300k daily). I've done it at rush hour on both of my trips to Tokyo and it's not as bad as you'd think. The fun part is whe the train is moving and you sort of sway with the crowd around each turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City